Are Irish Americans in New York City fiscally and social conservative? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:56:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are Irish Americans in New York City fiscally and social conservative? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are Irish Americans in New York City fiscally and social conservative?  (Read 1888 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« on: January 30, 2017, 11:48:47 PM »
« edited: January 31, 2017, 12:22:19 AM by Thunderbird is the word »

I really don't think New York Irish-Americans in 2016 are any kind of a unified bloc politically and many aren't even native New Yorkers.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »

Yeah, the Irish are pretty assimilated these days.

I've always wondered when did anti-Irish prejudice in America end? 

When the tensions between mainline Protestants and Catholics ended, as the Civil Rights revolution heated up. These days, the two groups from a religious standpoint on anything that matters are not very different at all (putting aside the abortion issue).

I think that both groups are more divided politically then religiously with liberal Protestants and Catholics having more in common then either do with there more conservative brethren. Though on issues like abortion and birth control there's admittedly more cognitive dissonance for left-leaning Catholics since they actually are in the same church as the right-wing opus dei types whereas UCC Christians don't have to share the pews with evangelicals.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 09:05:15 PM »

Woodlawn is about as Irish as you can get.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies