Most intolerant poster in the forums? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:17:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Most intolerant poster in the forums? (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Most intolerant poster in the forums?  (Read 10919 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: July 22, 2005, 07:35:08 PM »

By Opeo standard I amk an "intolerant". But then again, most people are by his standards. Wink

Yes, PBrunsel, you are an intolerant.

By contrast I am the foremost advocate of tolerance on this board - hence my constant remonstrating against the ideology of intolerance (religion).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 07:37:35 PM »

By Opeo standard I amk an "intolerant". But then again, most people are by his standards. Wink

By contrast I am the foremost advocate of tolerance on this board - hence my constant remonstrating against the ideology of intolerance (religion).
Hahahaha. Foremost advocate. Prove it, prude.

I like all forms of sexuality and 'approve of' any and all private behaviours.  Also I hate anyone who doesn't have a similarly tolerant attitude.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 07:41:30 PM »

I like all forms of sexuality and 'approve of' any and all private behaviours.  Also I hate anyone who doesn't have a similarly tolerant attitude.
You hate people? Well, you're an intolerant just like anyone else, then. And if you so arrogantly affirm that you approve of all private behaviours, religion falls into 'private' behaviour, prude.

No, it doesn't.  It includes such statements as 'right', 'wrong', 'sin', and various condemnations of others for their private acts.  In other words it makes the claim of the existence of an objective morality.  Therefore any tolerant person should hate them, or at least dispassionately feed them to the lions.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 07:47:34 PM »

I like all forms of sexuality and 'approve of' any and all private behaviours.  Also I hate anyone who doesn't have a similarly tolerant attitude.

Hahahahahahaha... in defending your tolerance you declare that you hate anyone who disagrees with your views.

I have no words.

Tolerance doesn't require that we accept the intolerant. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 07:50:20 PM »

You hate people? Well, you're an intolerant just like anyone else, then. And if you so arrogantly affirm that you approve of all private behaviours, religion falls into 'private' behaviour, prude.

No, it doesn't.  It includes such statements as 'right', 'wrong', 'sin', and various condemnations of others for their private acts.  In other words it makes the claim of the existence of an objective morality.  Therefore any tolerant person should hate them, or at least dispassionately feed them to the lions.
It's private behaviour, prude. If you were tolerant of everything, you would be tolerant of religion too. So I can only conclude that you are an intolerant prude.
I smell Hypocrisy!

Not at all.  As a tolerant, I quite naturally must oppose intolerants.  It is only reasonable.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 07:51:27 PM »

Hahahahahahaha... in defending your tolerance you declare that you hate anyone who disagrees with your views.

I have no words.

Let's check the definition of "tolerant":

tolerance
1. adj.    a. Disposed or inclined to tolerate or bear with something; practising or favouring toleration.

No, I'm fairly sure that not tolerating absolutely everything you don't like makes you intolerant.

And yet one inevitably finds oneself opposed to and in disagreement with those who disapprove of things and believe in objective morality.  A paradox!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 07:52:18 PM »

It's private behaviour, prude. If you were tolerant of everything, you would be tolerant of religion too. So I can only conclude that you are an intolerant prude.
I smell Hypocrisy!

Not at all.  As a tolerant, I quite naturally must oppose intolerants.  It is only reasonable.

As a tolerant person, you must be intolerant?  That doesn't exactly follow.

Of course it does.  By definition a tolerant is the opposite of and opposed to the intolerant.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 07:54:06 PM »

I have no words.

You aren't being tolerant of intolerance, opebo. That's not tolerance.

One cannot be tolerant of intolerance, everett, without thereby being intolerant - in other words abetting and aquiesing to intolerance.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 07:56:10 PM »

I smell Hypocrisy!

Not at all.  As a tolerant, I quite naturally must oppose intolerants.  It is only reasonable.

Of course it does.  By definition a tolerant is the opposite of and opposed to the intolerant.
And where is that definition, prude?

The prefix 'in'?

Dictionary.com:
in-1 or il- or im- or ir-
pref.
Not: inarticulate. Before l, in- is usually assimilated to il-; before r to ir-; and before b, m, and p to im-. See Usage Note at un-1.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 07:59:25 PM »

And yet one inevitably finds oneself opposed to and in disagreement with those who disapprove of things and believe in objective morality.  A paradox!

How is that a paradox?  If you're tolerant, you tolerate things.  If you don't tolerate things, you're intolerant.  You don't tolerate things, therefore, by defintion, you're intolerant.

Being tolerant means that you accept and tolerate the fact that people around you hold opinions that you disagree with and find distasteful.  You don't have to agree with them; you just have to tolerate them. 

Ah, but you see I do tolerate them on an intellectual level.  I only want them slaughtered by lions because of the practical threat the represent, due to their intolerance.  In other words, I'm arguing self defence, not objective morality.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 08:00:23 PM »

I smell Hypocrisy!

Of course it does.  By definition a tolerant is the opposite of and opposed to the intolerant.
And where is that definition, prude?

The prefix 'in'?

Dictionary.com:
in-1 or il- or im- or ir-
pref.
Not: inarticulate. Before l, in- is usually assimilated to il-; before r to ir-; and before b, m, and p to im-. See Usage Note at un-1.

Show me where the definiton of tolerant says that, in order to be tolerant, you must be intolerant of intolerance.

The prefix 'in' means 'not', or opposite, you see, everett.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 08:01:56 PM »

And yet one inevitably finds oneself opposed to and in disagreement with those who disapprove of things and believe in objective morality.  A paradox!

How is that a paradox?  If you're tolerant, you tolerate things.  If you don't tolerate things, you're intolerant.  You don't tolerate things, therefore, by defintion, you're intolerant.

Being tolerant means that you accept and tolerate the fact that people around you hold opinions that you disagree with and find distasteful.  You don't have to agree with them; you just have to tolerate them. 

Ah, but you see I do tolerate them on an intellectual level.  I only want them slaughtered by lions because of the practical threat the represent, due to their intolerance.  In other words, I'm arguing self defence, not objective morality.
Wanting people killed doesn't seem like tolerance to me, you intolerant prude.

Actually they bring it on themselves, through their intolerance.  Do you think that a tolerant must allow murderers to go free?  I say no, he must merely refrain from making the claim that they are 'bad'.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 08:03:10 PM »

Ah, but you see I do tolerate them on an intellectual level.  I only want them slaughtered by lions because of the practical threat the represent, due to their intolerance.  In other words, I'm arguing self defence, not objective morality.

*sits back and eats popcorn*

wow! just wow! opebo is getting helplessly ass-raped

Ahha!  I thought you secretly had such fantasies, you closeted homophobic. Smiley
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 08:04:30 PM »

"To tolerate" means "to tolerate", and not "not to tolerate".  Tolerating something involves allowing it to be without interfering.  Therefore, as you are not doing so, you are, by definition, being intolerant.  Being intolerant of someone who is intolerant does not make you tolerant in some sort of "double negative".  Two wrongs don't make a right.

By being tolerant one must inevitably be in conflict with the intolerant - one is making the claim that their intolerance is invalid.  And by the way there is no objective right or wrong, whether one or two.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 08:05:46 PM »

Actually they bring it on themselves, through their intolerance.  Do you think that a tolerant must allow murderers to go free?  I say no, he must merely refrain from making the claim that they are 'bad'.
And how have these 'intolerants' directly harmed you through their intolerance?

Well, obviously the primary way is through the theocratic government that has ruled this country for pretty much all of its history.  Also of course their intolerance is an insult to me and to anyone of whom they disapprove.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 08:10:34 PM »

"To tolerate" means "to tolerate", and not "not to tolerate".  Tolerating something involves allowing it to be without interfering.  Therefore, as you are not doing so, you are, by definition, being intolerant.  Being intolerant of someone who is intolerant does not make you tolerant in some sort of "double negative".  Two wrongs don't make a right.

By being tolerant one must inevitably be in conflict with the intolerant - one is making the claim that their intolerance is invalid.  And by the way there is no objective right or wrong, whether one or two.
The funny thing, little opebo, is that you're defending a point that doesn't exist. Simply show us where in the dictionary it says that in order to be tolerant, you must wish death upon those you consider intolerant. Furthermore, if there is no objective right or wrong, there is no objective definition of tolerance or intolerance, thus rendering your self-label of 'tolerant' worthless.

The dictionary is hardly going to outline a program for political action, everrett..
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 08:11:50 PM »

Feeling that someone else is wrong does not make you automatically in conflict with that person.  If you're tolerant, you will leave the person alone with his or her opinions and will not attempt to interfere.  If you're not, you will attempt to force your own opinions on that person.

Now then, which of these two are you doing?

Neither!  I am attempting to prevent him from forcing his opinions upon me and others - preferable through the lion method, but if necessary by less picturesque means.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 08:23:37 PM »

His opinions, which are perfectly correct by your standards of 'objective morality'.

I have no fantasies of objective morality. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nothing I have said has implied any preference for a particularl 'way of life', nor an condemnation of another.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What do you mean 'trolling'?  And I wish I were in Thailand - I'm stuck in this horrific land for another couple of months.  [/quote]
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 08:31:44 PM »

As Everett just tagged me, I'm in for this round.

opebo - you show yourself to be intolerant to the nth degree with your stances against anyone who doesn't agree with you. You just don't believe you're being intolerant because they disagree with you. In reality, you're an extremely hate filled person, even for those you claim to speak for.

No, Jake, I hate them for their intolerance.  
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 10:52:47 PM »

haha! pollo and phillip - now I know I'm tolerant!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 11:04:50 PM »

As Everett just tagged me, I'm in for this round.

opebo - you show yourself to be intolerant to the nth degree with your stances against anyone who doesn't agree with you. You just don't believe you're being intolerant because they disagree with you. In reality, you're an extremely hate filled person, even for those you claim to speak for.

No, Jake, I hate them for their intolerance.  

So, you hate them because they disagree with you. You could've just agreed with my post saying the same thing.

No, no I hate them because they are a threat, and also making a stupid, patently erroneous claim.  One may disagree about what one likes, but when one makes a claim that what one likes is objectively better, or right, or moral, one is a danger, as well as a fool.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 11:06:39 PM »

From wikipedia (not the best source, but good enough for this argument I suppose)

"Tolerance is a social, cultural and religious term applied to the collective and individual practice of not persecuting those who may believe, behave or act in ways of which one may not approve."

Ah yes, opebo: a hallmark of tolerance.

Ah, but the practice of tolerance requires preventing the intolerant from gaining and utilizing political power to impose their intolerance.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2005, 11:12:49 PM »

You claim that they are intolerant, yes? Why do you use your morality to call them intolerant? That seems rather hypocritical.

The term 'intolerant' has nothing to do with morality.  It is merely descriptive, not a value judgement.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2005, 11:14:12 PM »

From wikipedia (not the best source, but good enough for this argument I suppose)

"Tolerance is a social, cultural and religious term applied to the collective and individual practice of not persecuting those who may believe, behave or act in ways of which one may not approve."

Ah, but the practice of tolerance requires preventing the intolerant from gaining and utilizing political power to impose their intolerance.

By throwing them to the lions, I assume?

Yes, I think that method has charm, and tradition.  It shows a note of respect of those who fought the good fight before - the Romans.  They went down fighting!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2005, 11:24:40 PM »

Why do you continue to just blatantly make up definitions for words and then use them on yourself?

I didn't do that.  I'm talking about how to realize tolerance as a political goal, not about the definition of tolerance.  Of course in order to realize tolerance as a political goal, anyone who believes in objective morality has to be fed to the lions.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies