FE 12: Fair and Healthy Food Act of 2017 (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:41:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FE 12: Fair and Healthy Food Act of 2017 (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FE 12: Fair and Healthy Food Act of 2017 (Statute)  (Read 1021 times)
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2017, 06:05:41 PM »
« edited: February 06, 2017, 10:20:32 PM by Speaker 1184AZ »

AN ACT
to ease the access to healthy food
and to protect and consumer
s

SECTION 1. TILE

The title of this act shall be “Fair and Healthy Food Act of 2017.” It may be cited as the “F.H.A.A.”

SECTION 2. SCHOOLS

1. Schools shall be encouraged to offer products produced by regional producers.
2. Each student has to attend at least five teaching units about healthy nutrition in their school career.
3. The “Fremont Healthy School Lunch Program” (FHSLP) shall hereby be created.
3.1 The FHSLP shall financially support schools who can not afford to provide daily access to at least 12 oz of fruits and / or vegetables.
3.2 The FHSLP provides educational material about healthy nutrition.
3.3 The FHSLP is provided an amount of money of the regional budget to invest in educational material, additional programs and self-organisation.
3.4 The head of the FHSLP shall be appointed by the governor of the Fremont region.

SECTION 3. GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISMS

1. Products that have been genetically modified or products that contain ingredients which have been genetically modified have to be labeled.
2. GMO products shall no longer be offered in schools or other education institutions.

Sponsor simossad Labor
------------
48 hours for debate
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 08:01:56 PM »

Section 3 fear mongering nonsense. Food has been being "genetically modified" for literally thousands of years.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:50:20 PM »

I want to assure you that I am not totally against genetically modified food and that I strongly believe that politics should always accept scientific results. However, I do also believe that every consumer has a right to know what's in the products they eat and how they have been produced. This is consumer protection that other countries do see as a standard right. We want a clear labeling so consumers are able to decide what they eat.

Family farms, the backbone of our rural areas, have been struggling for years and are forced to close. In the short run, GMOs might be a good perspective for the farmers due to lower costs. But in the long run, the monopoly position of companies, in particular Monsanto, will be a large threat for small farms. This is not an act against science, this is an act which will be the first step to limit the power of big business in the agriculture industry. The inhumane and unethical methods and strategies of Monsanto are well known. This act will not solve the problem, but as I stated earlier, it will be a first step, even though a small one.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 01:28:56 PM »

You say this is just about consumer information and transparency, which is fair enough, but then why outright ban GMO products from being served in schools? This seems like it will only fuel the public perception that GMOs are something to be scared of and/or inherently unhealthy, neither of which are true.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 01:53:53 PM »

This is about regional producers. We already have the development towards an unhealthy dependence of small farms to Monsanto and their GMO products. This development came up due to large pressure on the farmers and dirty tricks by the corporation. By making the school a GMO-free-zone, and by encouraging the school to get their products from local farms, we create a necessity to break this development which is unhealthy for both the farmer and the consumer. But as I stated earlier, this is just a small step.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 05:18:44 PM »

I'll admit to not being incredibly familiar with Monsanto or the implications of GMO production for small farmers. I do agree with Goldwater that we should not be in the business of trafficking pseudo-science, especially in our schools. Does the sponsor have any source material on the matter?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 07:30:39 PM »

Section 3 fear mongering nonsense. Food has been being "genetically modified" for literally thousands of years.

This.  I will not support any restrictions or labeling requirements pertaining to GMOs.  Such is a nonstarter for me.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 10:20:37 PM »

I think that if people are concerned about GMOs they have a right to know whether their food contains them. This bill does not try to ban them,simply informs shoppers about what their product contains. Anyways enthusiastically support this bill.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 11:01:32 PM »

I think that if people are concerned about GMOs they have a right to know whether their food contains them. This bill does not try to ban them,simply informs shoppers about what their product contains. Anyways enthusiastically support this bill.
Actually, Section 3.2 specifically prohibits schools from serving "GMO products." I agree that people ought to know what they are eating, but I'm not sure that is the right way to go about it.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 12:33:53 AM »

AN ACT
to ease the access to healthy food
and to protect and consumer
s

SECTION 1. TILE

The title of this act shall be “Fair and Healthy Food Act of 2017.” It may be cited as the “F.H.A.A.”

SECTION 2. SCHOOLS

1. Schools shall be encouraged to offer products produced by regional producers.
2. Each student has to attend at least five teaching units about healthy nutrition in their school career.
3. The “Fremont Healthy School Lunch Program” (FHSLP) shall hereby be created.
3.1 The FHSLP shall financially support schools who can not afford to provide daily access to at least 12 oz of fruits and / or vegetables.
3.2 The FHSLP provides educational material about healthy nutrition.
3.3 The FHSLP is provided an amount of money of the regional budget to invest in educational material, additional programs and self-organisation.
3.4 The head of the FHSLP shall be appointed by the governor of the Fremont region.

SECTION 3. GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISMS

1. Products that have been genetically modified or products that contain ingredients which have been genetically modified have to be labeled.
2. GMO products shall no longer be offered in schools or other education institutions.

Sponsor simossad Labor
------------
48 hours for debate
I offer the following ammendment to give schools full choice on what they can serve.
----
Extending debate 24 hours on this bill.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 02:41:31 PM »

And again. Small farmers are getting dependent on Monsanto. I don't know if you aware of the practices Monsanto uses to let is unhealthy monopoly grow even bigger. It puts high pressure on the farmers, it denies them any form of right to sue them through intricate contracts, it uses all forms of legal action to make the small farms working for their profit. These are facts you can easily research in less than five minutes.

By creating GMO-free zones, we make the agricultural market stopping the development of growing dependence on Monsanto. This bill will not solve the problems, but it will ease further steps against economical despotism.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 03:40:48 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2017, 03:43:45 PM by Speaker 1184AZ »

The amendment has been adopted. I now bring this bill to a final 24 hour vote please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain on this bill.  
--------------------
Aye.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 05:05:08 PM »

When exactly was this amendment adopted?
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 05:11:23 PM »

After a 24 hour period of no objections to the amendment, the amendment becomes adopted. 
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »

After a 24 hour period of no objections to the amendment, the amendment becomes adopted. 
I mean, I would have interpreted simossad's comment as an objection, though I suppose he technically didn't say that he objected to it.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 04:55:58 AM »

I mean, I would have interpreted simossad's comment as an objection, though I suppose he technically didn't say that he objected to it.

Yeah, that was the purpose of my statement.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 12:08:45 PM »

Suspending the final vote to hold a 24 hour vote on the proposed amendment.Please vote Aye,Nay,of Abstain on the ammendment.
----------
Aye
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »

Nay. I know that my opinion won't find a majority, but I wanted to make this clear.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »

With 1 vote in favor, 1 votes opposed and 1 not voting, this amendment fails. I will now put this bill up for a final 24 hour vote, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain on this bill.
----------------
Aye
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 01:45:34 PM »

Aye!
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2017, 06:22:41 PM »

Yay for starving school children by not offering GMO products! Whether you know it or not, almost every piece of food that can be offered has been genetically altered over the years.
Representative simossad
simossad
Germany

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 02:02:47 AM »

Yay for starving school children by not offering GMO products! Whether you know it or not, almost every piece of food that can be offered has been genetically altered over the years.

It's disappointing to see that no one realizes that this bill goes way further than that, especially in section two. Read The bill, and then we can start to discuss.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 05:41:35 PM »

This bill passes with 2 votes in favor and 1 non voting. It goes to the Governor's desk for his signature or veto.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2017, 10:16:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies