Supreme Court Nom: Gorsuch ... Conservative scale.. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:07:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Supreme Court Nom: Gorsuch ... Conservative scale.. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supreme Court Nom: Gorsuch ... Conservative scale..  (Read 1468 times)
SCNCmod

« on: January 31, 2017, 11:22:50 PM »

What areas of the law will Gorsuch be in line with the far right..

(and are there any areas he is not in line with Conservatives?)

SCNCmod

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 11:26:30 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2017, 12:29:59 AM by SCNCmod »

The areas conservatives will Love (and will be most troublesome for Dems):

1) Ruling for Hobby Lobby (Employers Do Not have to provide insurance under ACA, that covers Contraceptive like birth control pills) ... (Corporations are people)

2) Giving money to politicians while running campaigns is a "fundamental right" (he definitely is not overturning Citizens United)

3) Opinions and writings indicated is would likely vote to overturn Roe v. Wade

4) Gorsuch wrote "American liberals have become addicted to the courtroom, relying on judges and lawyers rather than elected leaders and the ballot box. (may affect areas involving rights of minorities)"

5) Gorsuch argued in an article that, "American liberals are circumventing the democratic process on issues like gay marriage, school vouchers, and assisted suicide"

6) Ruled against rights of certain individual to form Class Action lawsuits
SCNCmod

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:19:20 AM »

I'd love to say to Gorsuch that American conservatives circumvented the process of determining the winner of a certain presidential election that occurred a little over 16 years ago, based on a decision that was not the slightest bit consistent with the intended meaning of any clause in the Constitution nor the intended meaning of any precedent, and see how Gorsuch responds.

It's not as if I believe Gorsuch is wrong about how liberals have circumvented the democratic process on those issues (and others), but my point is that Bush v. Gore proved to me that Republicans do not appoint better Supreme Court Justices than do Democrats, and Republicans are utter hypocrites about disdaining judicial activism. I mean hypocrisy in that classic sense of an homage that vice pays to virtue; what Republicans have said is wrong about judicial activism is the right thing to say, but Republicans have not practiced what they preached.

I think an important issue/point is that one of the most important functions of the court is to protect the rights of a class of minorities against majorities..  gay marriage is a right of a minority.  A comparison (in the past) may be inter-racial marriage... the democratic process was never going to be able to lead on this issue... it had to inherently fall to the courts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies