Atlas Throwback: 1951 edition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:28:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Atlas Throwback: 1951 edition
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas Throwback: 1951 edition  (Read 1713 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2017, 02:05:39 AM »

Its August 1951 what would atlas say about the upcoming election and the republicans have of winning their first election in 24 years.

Heres what i would think:

It looks like Truman wont run for another term and I believe Eisenhower will not run as he donest seem like that person too

On the GOP side I believe Taft will easily win the nomination

For the dems I believe that the two contenders would be Vice President Barley and Estes Kefauver and Barkley will win out

For the general this is what i think happens :

I believe that Taft wins handily due to people wanting to change the direction after 20 years of Democratic rule. I also believe the senate flips but the house barely stays democratic

Taft 328
Barkley 203

Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 02:52:43 AM »

God, I hope it's not MacArthur. Taft is setting him up as the American Caesar, and d*mned if the public hasn't fallen for it hook, line, and sinker. If that happens, the Democrats' only hope will be to draft Ike and pray like missionaries. I think he'd accept the nomination if the convention will give it to him - my guess is he turned it down in '48 out of personal loyalty to Truman. If it ends up being Ike vs. MacArthur, the campaign will go down to the wire; if anyone else gets the Democratic nomination, it'll be a bloodbath for the GOP.

If Ike runs:

Eisenhower (D) 211 EV
MacArthur (R) 196 EV
Tossup 124 EV

MacArthur against Generic D:

Generic (D) 118 EV
MacArthur (R) 384 EV
Tossup 19 EV
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 03:01:28 AM »

Tail Gunner Joe will be president and set up a fascist dictatorship.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 03:10:37 AM »

MacArthur wont beat Taft(I mean why would the party bosses chose MacArthur over their conservative favorite Taft)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 04:29:41 AM »

Anyone think Marshall might run? I mean, he's in a strong position, having been Chief of Staff, Secretary of State and Secretary of Defense.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 11:20:39 AM »

I still think Truman could run again.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 08:31:47 PM »

MacArthur wont beat Taft(I mean why would the party bosses chose MacArthur over their conservative favorite Taft)
Because MacArthur is extremely popular with the public, while Taft already had two tries and lost.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 08:40:28 PM »

I wish Dewey would run again, but I doubt it. Hopefully we get something like Douglas MacArthur/Earl Warren.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 10:41:35 PM »

Because MacArthur is extremely popular with the public, while Taft already had two tries and lost.

Taft lost in 1940 cause he was an unknown , and lost in 1948 cause Dewey was the popular governor and favored by big business  . Taft will win this time , as he is popular among the republicans conservative base , and big business will definitely favor Taft over MacArthur which means he will likely easily be the republican nominee as he has both things the delegates usually look for (popularity among the business establishment and popularity among the base) and Taft as them both.

The only thing stopping Taft from being our next President is if Eisenhower for some reason decides to run.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 12:42:26 AM »

Taft lost in 1940 cause he was an unknown , and lost in 1948 cause Dewey was the popular governor and favored by big business  . Taft will win this time , as he is popular among the republicans conservative base , and big business will definitely favor Taft over MacArthur which means he will likely easily be the republican nominee as he has both things the delegates usually look for (popularity among the business establishment and popularity among the base) and Taft as them both.

The only thing stopping Taft from being our next President is if Eisenhower for some reason decides to run.
Eisenhower is not a Republican, lol. If he runs, it will be as a Democrat.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 12:51:27 AM »
« Edited: February 03, 2017, 03:10:45 PM by Old School Republican »

Yah I know Taft will easily win the nomination and nearly certainly beat any democrat they nominate. The only way he doesnt win the presidency is if Eisenhower beats taft in the general  

Oh and If truman runs get ready for a repeat of 1928 as parts of the solid south will go GOP

Taft 453
Truman 78
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 07:18:53 AM »

Yah I know Taft will easily win the nomination and nearly certainly beat any democrat they nominate. The only way he doesnt win the presidency is if Eisenhower beats taft in the general  

Oh and If truman runs get ready for a repeat of 1928 as parts of the solid south will go GOP

Taft 453
Truman 78

But didn't Eisenhower describe himself as a Republican in 1947? I know that Roy Roberts released an interview with Eisenhower saying that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies