Took the political compass test again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:15:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Took the political compass test again
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Took the political compass test again  (Read 2168 times)
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2005, 03:16:26 PM »

I just scored:
Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.64

I moved a bit to the left on economic issues and a bit to the right on social issues.

Most of the questions seemed ambiguous to me.  There were only a few times that I responded with "strongly agree" or "strongly disagree".   One example was "A same sex couple in a stable, loving relationship, should not be excluded from the possibility of child adoption."  Another was "Astrology accurately explains many things."

There were many more in which "strongly" seemed too extreme for me.  For example, "Sex outside marriage is usually immoral" is something that I agree with, though I don't consider it to be a war crime like Jerry Falwell, so I answered "agree".  Another is "It's natural for children to keep some secrets from their parents."  I think the secret is OK for some things but not others.  Another is "Marijuana should be legalised", for which I responded with "disagree".  I think marijuana should be legalized for medicinal use, and I don't think marijuana calls for prison terms comparable to those of rapists, child molesters, and murderers.  But I don't think it should be fully legalized.  I'm not sure how to respond to "All authority should be questioned."  I think some authority should be questioned but a certain amount is needed.  I responded with "agree", though thinking about it again makes me wonder if I should have marked "strongly disagree" because of the word "all".

It seems that one's political compass score depends on how you interpret the questions, what mood you're in, what you ate for dinner yesterday, the phases of the moon, the temperature in Scottsbluff, NE, etc.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 03:19:06 PM »

There were only a few times that I responded with "strongly agree" or "strongly disagree".
really? thats the exact opposite of me. i rarely use anything but "Strongly agree/disagree"
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2005, 03:29:16 PM »

There were only a few times that I responded with "strongly agree" or "strongly disagree".
really? thats the exact opposite of me. i rarely use anything but "Strongly agree/disagree"

The further to the left or right you are (or to the libertarian and populist wings), the more you answer with strongly agree/disagree, generally.  A score of +10 means you strongly agree with all of the conservative answers, +5 means you agree (on average) with all of the conservative answers, +0 means it's even, and  so on.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2005, 03:30:49 PM »

You're much farther from the center on both economic and social issues than I am.  You can't be in the -7s and the -8s without heavy use of the "strongly" responses.

I guess that my reluctance to use the "strongly" responses is the reason my scores are only around the -3s and -4s instead of the -8s and -9s.  But on a political test with only two responses for most questions and a score of 0=far left and 40=far right, I scored 7, which placed me between Ted Kennedy (5) and Hillary Clinton (10).  Had I scored that far from the center on the political compass test, I would average in the -6s.  If I were that close to the center on the other political test, I would have scored 13, between Hillary Clinton (10) and Bill Clinton (15).
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2005, 03:46:32 PM »

I just tried responding to everything with "strongly agree" or "strongly disagree" and scored:
Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.54

I was generally most reluctant to use "strongly" on economic issues. 

I noticed that the pages on religion and sex were where I had the strongest, most far left opinions.  The one exception is that I don't believe in premarital sex.

One problem with the wording is that "some" prompts the "strongly" responses while absolutes like "always" and "never" discourage the "strongly" responses.  But there were so many questions that I wasn't 100% sure how to interpret.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 03:50:37 PM »

Don't worry, not getting an extremist answer doesn't make you bad or anything. Tongue
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 04:27:12 PM »

on a political test with only two responses for most questions and a score of 0=far left and 40=far right, I scored 7, which placed me between Ted Kennedy (5) and Hillary Clinton (10). 
i took that test, too. i think i was i got the same number you did.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 07:26:34 PM »

I just decided to take it again as well.  No major changes.

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 8.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.36
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 07:56:51 PM »

Your political compass
It takes either a plutocrat or a fierce libertarian to get that kind of rightist economic score.  Now, you're not much of a libertarian.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 08:16:41 PM »

I just scored:
Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.64

Your scores are very close to mine.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 10:09:55 PM »

The further to the left or right you are (or to the libertarian and populist wings), the more you answer with strongly agree/disagree, generally.  A score of +10 means you strongly agree with all of the conservative answers, +5 means you agree (on average) with all of the conservative answers, +0 means it's even, and  so on.

I rarely answer with anything but strongly agree/disagree, yet I'm always fairly centrist.

In fact there have been times when I get a more extremist score with answering only agree/disagree, though not in this test I just made:

Only Agree/Disagree:
Economic Left/Right: 2.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.56

Only Strongly Agree/Strongly Disagree:
Economic Left/Right: 4.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.51
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 10:16:28 PM »

I rarely answer with anything but strongly agree/disagree, yet I'm always fairly centrist.

In fact there have been times when I get a more extremist score with answering only agree/disagree, though not in this test I just made:

Only Agree/Disagree:

Only Strongly Agree/Disagree

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28

Only Agree/Disagree

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.69
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 07:58:48 AM »

I find with the political compass that when it comes to economics I'm pretty much constant - but on social issues, I'm slighty moving right (I'm still more of a social moderate though)

Dave
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 09:13:51 AM »

Your political compass
It takes either a plutocrat or a fierce libertarian to get that kind of rightist economic score.  Now, you're not much of a libertarian.

I actually am quite libertarian, the problem is that my answers on social issues tend to cancel each other out.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2005, 10:41:22 PM »

Only Agree/Disagree:

Your political compass
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28

Only Agree/Disagree

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.69

Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.87

Only Agree/Disagree

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.36
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 11:08:07 PM »

Your political compass

I actually am quite libertarian, the problem is that my answers on social issues tend to cancel each other out.

I'm still wondering how you could get a positive score on the social axis, especially since you're an atheist.

This is what I get using only Strongly Agree/Disagree:

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.55

Using only Agree/Disagree:

Economic Left/Right: -5.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90

BTW, whenever I normally take the test, I get a 100% liberal response on the last page, the sex one. I answer Strongly to all the questions, and choose the liberal answer on every one. Suprised?

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies