An Olawakandi Center for Burn Victims
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:49:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  An Olawakandi Center for Burn Victims
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25
Author Topic: An Olawakandi Center for Burn Victims  (Read 62176 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: December 05, 2020, 07:12:51 PM »

Imagine explaining to a PhD economist that resources are scarce and trade-offs exist.

What you are describing is not optimal triage in terms of saving lives, is completely arbitrary, and is infeasible given realistic information levels. If triage must occur, then it should always be done based on the condition of those in front of you, not arbitrarily based on past behavior you don't approve of. You triage the worst off and the best off, and focus your efforts on those for whom your intervention would actually make a difference.

I have a masters in economics.  Are you claiming to be a PhD economist?  I don't believe you.

For one thing, you are guilty of confusing normative with positive.
Can vouch for RI having a PhD in economics.
Can vouch for RI having a PhD and separately, also being smarter than Frank and correct here.

Rekt
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #476 on: December 20, 2020, 10:24:15 PM »

Well, let me put it this way....

Saving this one. Measuring the drapes already?

He will in September. He can't hide in his basement forever. He will be exposed by the Trump campaign.

January 19th: "Here's how President-elect Biden can still collapse."
Can't wait for your excuses as to why Biden lost.

Literally all polls indicate Biden is leading, and has been for the past year. Your assertion that Trump is favored by any indication as of now is much closer to hysteria.
Someone's in denial.

Literally all polls indicate Biden is leading, and has been for the past year. Your assertion that Trump is favored by any indication as of now is much closer to hysteria.
Someone's in denial.
Glad to see you are finally engaging in some self reflection, SN.
I think most of the posters on this forum should have a therapist  ready to schedule an appointment on 11.4

Even if Biden is up 20 points by November, I would swim naked through a lake full of glass shards to vote for him, as I hate Trump with the passion of a thousand sun's. No complacency here.
You're a hardcore democrat. You honestly think Biden will inspire casual voters? Talk about delusion. Biden is the next John Kerry. Period.

Let's see, Biden is much more liked than Hillary was, & voter turnout for him in the primaries has been hitting record highs in many states (especially in those that Bernie won in 2016 but Biden has now won in 2020). But sure, he's Hillary 2.0. Definitely.
He's not much more liked than Hillary. He's a joke . Hillary is at least respected and was viewed as qualified. Biden is viewed as senile. You seriously still don't get why Trump is winning do you? He's a no nonsense leader and this crisis the country wants a  strong executive . They will not change horses.

The enthusiasm and incumbency are easily the best arguments
Hillary easily had more enthusiasm than Biden and still lost. Biden has benefited from the fact the campaign has been on hold. Now it's really starting to pick up. There should def be a tightening next week in the polls after Bidens comment. I still don't think Trump winning by more than 2016 is out of the question yet.

This isn't 2008 and Biden will never be Obama.
he doesn't need to be lol. Trump is digging his own grave.
They said that in 2016 too: Access Hollywood, Khan blah blah. Could go on and on. It's not even June dude. Trump is going to win. Trust me.

Green and Libertarian will do better than people think.

Georgia is still lean R until more evidence. The state always swings R. Changing demos yes but still not really a tossup.

Do you know anything about politics?
Yes much more than you . Biden won't win AZ.

Hot take: PA

Trump wil eek out a win in PA but will win MI by around 2 2.5%

This is not a reliable pollster...nothing should be taken seriously.
blah blah. Same crap you guys said in 16. Trump will win MI. Democrats overconfidence is insane right now.

@SN unless you are friends with half of the state of Michigan nobody here cares what your friends think about Gretchen Whitmer.
Think I understand my home state better than you.

It's going to be a roller coaster recovery. When the second wave hits, there's going to be another dip. Our hope is to find a treatment or vaccine soon and carefully open up with proper testing, contact tracing, and isolation of vulnerable populations in the meantime.
There's been no evidence that a 2nd wave will happen. The virus is much weaker now in Italy and many are predicting it dies out like SARS.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #477 on: December 22, 2020, 11:57:06 AM »

Ok fess up: which one of you is this? Jessica Stranger? Come on

Uh, I dunno.  How many TE members have the word "stranger" in their user name?
Touche. I wish I had time to lead a double life Sad

The fact that you're here shows you don't even have a single life. 👽
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #478 on: December 24, 2020, 07:56:14 PM »

The main problem is the surge in debt which I guess in the short run is being monetized.

I mean, there are also problems like ~19m people, including multiple members of my extended family, currently being nine days away from homelessness in the deep midwinter during a highly contagious viral pandemic, but I respect that you and your Scarsdale buddies have more important things to worry about.

Rekt.

Though to be fair using jaichind is kinda cheating.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #479 on: December 24, 2020, 08:51:46 PM »

And in many ways, he still is. As I've noted previously, Dole was the only living Republican nominee to publicly endorse Trump this year. Dole even went as far to suggest that the Commission on Presidential Debates was biased against Trump. Dole was also the only living Republican nominee to vote for Trump. Romney probably wrote-in his wife again, as he did in 2016, and W. Bush either wrote-in a candidate or voted third party. He may have even voted for Biden.

I would bet quite a bit of money that both Romney and Bush voted for Biden. Hell, I bet Bush even voted for Hillary.

All the more reason that the Democratic party needs to be destroyed.

Silence, Republican!
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #480 on: December 26, 2020, 10:45:58 PM »

After looking at the EV data in more detail, it seems increasingly probable by the day this will be a Biden electorate, or at the very least, not a huge pro-Trump electorate, even if E-day turnout is massive and mail in voting/ early voting basically comes to a halt. Still gotta say Perdue and Loefeller win by 1 for now, though that could easily change. I think even if this electorate is Biden + 3 or so, Perdue will still get some of that crossover support from the GE, maybe even a bit more now that it’s known Biden will be President, but this starts to get into speculation on my part.

It’s really interesting to see all the conflicting fundamentals at play in this race. Democrats seem to have the enthusiasm and canidate quality advantage, plus the advantage Biden won GA, but Rs seem to have history on their side as well as favorable ticket splitting. Of course, the biggest question is who will turnout and who won’t.

Median generic County Map (think of as a baseline for both races):

Strong e-day turnout model:

Weak e-day turnout model:

Current est total:

Yeah and your models predicted NC, ME and FL were gonna be won by D's, Models are wrong
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #481 on: December 29, 2020, 04:25:54 PM »

Why do you live in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean?
Astatine

Political Matrix

« Reply #482 on: January 02, 2021, 09:45:17 AM »

Progressive Moderate is obsessed with ME and Susan Collins
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #483 on: January 05, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »

His hackishness is becoming unbearable.

Every post you put on the board has D's coming up short

The election is over in 12, hrs

Not funny, try harder

They aren't gonnaa ban me and I have no infractios, you try harder
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #484 on: January 10, 2021, 12:04:07 AM »

Rate Wyoming Senate 2024?

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #485 on: January 11, 2021, 11:44:10 PM »

2 Capitol Police officers suspended and another individual arrested for their alleged roles in riot

(CNN) -- Two Capitol Police officers have been suspended and another individual has been arrested for their alleged roles in the riot at the US Capitol on January 6, said Rep. Tim Ryan.

"There were two people suspended. One was the selfie officer and another was an officer who had put a MAGA hat on and started directing some people around," said Ryan, an Ohio Democrat who is chair of the House subcommittee handling the investigation into the response to the insurrection. "It was the interim chief who determined that to be qualifying for immediate suspension."

Ryan had fewer details about the individual who was arrested, and was not sure if the person was a police officer or a member of the National Guard. He told reporters he would have more details later.

He added that there are approximately 10 to 15 Capitol Police officers under investigation for their behavior during the riot but did not have more specifics.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/11/politics/capitol-police-officers-suspended-tim-ryan/index.html

"roles in riot", give me a break.  No one died because a police officer let someone take a selfie with him.

Excuse me officer? I know you caught me breaking into this family's home where they barricaded themselves in a bedroom, but would you mind taking a selfie with me real quick?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #486 on: January 14, 2021, 07:41:29 AM »

Sassy Cath is brutal.

The Krassensteins were these two twin brothers that basically dedicated their entire lives to harassing Trump on Twitter 24/7.

That is called "being a loser", yes?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #487 on: January 17, 2021, 04:15:45 PM »

Free speech absolutism, marketplace of ideas, sunlight is the best disinfectant activism has been left wanting. People aren't rational actors striving for reality and truth in a marketplace of flat earth, MAGA, anti-vax mass hysteria. Half the people want the lies. And it's been enabled. Because of dumb techbro understanding of 'free speech.'

Cool story, guy with soviet propaganda in his sig.

Speaking of sigs, I’ve got bad news for you...
Astatine

Political Matrix

« Reply #488 on: January 18, 2021, 10:44:48 PM »

There you go. A totally crazy decision on the first day. Who knows how many more crazy decisions of this kind will hit us by January 2025.

Definitely a strong campaign point in 2022.

Yes, THIS totally counts as a president making a "crazy" decision. So glad you're skilled at seeing what a president acts "crazy".

Leaving aside the rank hypocrisy, would you care to educate the rest of us as to why showing an ounce of regard for the environment over the profits of energy companies is somehow "crazy"?

Because it's a job killing decision in the middle of an economic crisis.
The environmental impact of that pipeline is negligible.

It seems to me that it's just a political issue. Throwing a bone to his radical base.

Are you a member of Biden's radical base, Badger?

First of all, I didn’t know Kelly Loeffler posted on here.

How do you feel after being destroyed by radical liberal Raphael Warnock?

Anyways, the main concerns are again with the lack of Native acceptance of the current routing.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #489 on: January 19, 2021, 01:50:22 PM »

A Tripartite Burn: Grin

At the start of a session, an organizing resolution needs to be passed that sets the rules. That needs 60 votes. Meaning it needs McConnell's support. So before everyone flips their collective sh**t, know that this result was guaranteed in a 50/50 senate.
AHEM. The answer is right here.

Bullsh**t. The Republicans didn't have these rules when they had Cheney breaking ties to have the majority in early 2001.

The article says they did.

What rules are you referring to? They did in fact have equally split committees while the Senate was 50-50 in 2001.

Ahem:

Quote from: Literally the linked article that began this whole thread
The negotiations between Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer and Republican Leader Mitch McConnell have been built largely around how the Senate operated the last time the body was split 50-50: When George W. Bush initially became president in 2001. Final details are still being sorted out between the two leaders, sources said, and the two are expected to meet on Tuesday to discuss these issues.

Similar to those rules, set in January 2001, Schumer and McConnell aides are discussing allowing bills and nominations to advance to the Senate floor even if they are tied during committee votes, something that could become common given that each party is expected to have the same number of seats on committees.

Also, here's a rundown on those 2001 rules:

The 2000 elections resulted in a Senate composed of 50 Republicans and 50 Democrats. An historic agreement, worked out by the party floor leaders, in consultation with their party colleagues, was presented to the Senate ( S.Res. 8 ) on January 5, 2001, and agreed to the same day. The agreement was expanded by a leadership colloquy on January 8, 2001. It remained in effect until June of 2001, when Senators reached a new agreement to account for the fact that a Senator had left the Republican party to become an Independent who would caucus with the Democratic party.

This report describes the principal features of this and related agreements which provided for Republican chairs of all Senate committees after January 20, 2001; equal party representation on all Senate committees; equal division of committee staffs between the parties; procedures for discharging measures blocked by tie votes in committee; a restriction on the offering of cloture motions on amendable matters; restrictions on floor amendments offered by party leaders; eligibility of Senators from both parties to preside over the Senate; and general provisions seeking to reiterate the equal interest of both parties in the scheduling of Senate chamber business. Also noted is that not all aspects of Senate practice were affected by the powersharing agreement.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #490 on: January 24, 2021, 02:31:07 AM »

From the thread regarding the large number of executive orders Biden has signed.

I love it when people with brazenly hypocritical double standards get publicly owned, regardless of their ideology.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #491 on: January 30, 2021, 09:18:34 PM »

Heres a solution to New York complaining about SALT: cut your state tax rates

God forbid a state try to keep its citizenry healthy. The result of those higher taxes? New York has one of the lowest uninsured rates in the country at about 5%. Low-tax Texas has the worst uninsured rate in the country at over 18%. (Before someone brings up California, the uninsured rate is under 8%.) Getting people healthcare costs money. States like Texas and Florida have some of the worst insured rates in the country because their Medicaid programs are so stingy and they refuse to expand Medicaid. That's the difference, among many others, between states with higher taxes and lower taxes. It's unfortunate that Republicans care so little about providing healthcare to all Americans.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #492 on: January 31, 2021, 02:19:07 PM »

It's very interesting that MT Treasurer and many Rs jumped on this poll but fail to mention the WI poll that has Johnson at 40 percent approvals, the irony
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #493 on: January 31, 2021, 10:54:31 PM »

By the time it sees the floor we will have lost the majority.

Mark my words. We will not get either statehood this year.

I could reverse jinx it a million times, offer all the bets in the world - it’s clear this isn’t a priority for leadership. If only Dem leadership was a little more ruthless - they could take a thing or two from the con artists in GOP leadership

you are literally always wrong.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #494 on: February 01, 2021, 02:44:52 PM »

As for your question, you can probably find plenty of answers here.

Ah the old "Just Google it" snarky answer.

AKA: The answer that could wipe away 95% of all Atlas threads, but thankfully doesn't because I actually enjoy the discussion.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #495 on: February 07, 2021, 01:40:34 PM »

Get the Bactine and Bandages out:

This was already settled not just by the Civil War, but also by Texas arguing the legality of secession all the way to the Supreme Court after the war. They lost on the battlefield, then their idiotic arguments led to a final legal determination that secession isn't legal.

Unless he's talking about revolution, of course, meaning his statement would constitute a federal crime.

Wait, wasn't the plaintiff in Texas v. White the Reconstruction government of the state, and didn't they argue that the sale of the bonds by the Confederate-era Texas legislature was illegal? I thought White was the one who had made the pro-secession arguments in that case.

Yes the reconstruction government was the plaintiff. The SCOTUS had original jurisdiction (or at least determined that it did). Brucejoel has the habit of making utterly false statements, but doing so in a manner to suggest that he is writing with knowledge or authority.

Pfft, project much, jimrtex? Because you're one to f**king talk:

Let's see, there was the time you tried to imply that we have no possible way of knowing whether or not DC & Maryland support retrocession even though there has literally been polling on the matter?

Then there was the time you tried to tell me to my face that a statute explicitly said something that it didn't even allude to. Actually, times, since it's happened on more than one occasion.

Before that, there was time you tried arguing that undocumented resident aliens are "temporary residents" for the purposes of apportionment under the 14th Amendment, even though that's not how anything works & multiple posters have made that clear to you time & time again.

Also, there was the time you tried to argue that DC statehood would be a slippery-slope because if DC gets statehood, then all major cities should as well, even though there's a pretty obvious inherent difference between cities which have already existed & been represented within states for centuries & an unrepresented federal city?

And then there was the time you tried to argue that getting rid of absentee voting in NC - used by 100,000 voters at that time - wasn't an issue because "it's hardly a major voting service" (boy, hindsight really came back to bite you in the rear on that one, didn't it?)?

Meanwhile, I dared commit the offense of misremembering one aspect of a court case which I hadn't even reviewed in a long time, & then fully acknowledged the error I'd made once the record had been corrected. How dare I!?

Now, let's allow the record to be corrected once more by noting that "jimrtex has the habit of making utterly false statements, but doing so in a manner to suggest that he is writing with knowledge or authority," shall we?
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #496 on: February 08, 2021, 05:24:06 PM »

AGA is pessimistic on D's chances and always have, he has always said Rs were likely to hold onto GA Loeffler and Perdue and they lost
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #497 on: February 15, 2021, 05:16:58 PM »

damn I was hoping you all forgot about guns.  I did think you'd try and stretch too far on things thinking you had a mandate (you don't), but I didn't think it would be guns and I didn't think it would be this quick.  Hopefully you lose interest in the back swing.

How could we forget? We don't think it should ever be normal to live in a country where people get maimed or shot to death at the mall, or at school, church, a nightclub, outdoor concert, festival, doctor's office, workplace, movie theater, gym, or any of the places Americans have been gunned down by maniacs with easy access to insane weaponry.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #498 on: March 04, 2021, 10:24:33 PM »

Best D: my own rep Yarmuth
Best R: Herrera-Beutler or Meijer
Worst D: easily Newman
Worst R: easily Boebert

Huh? Newman is pretty great. She ran on progressive policies and defeated an entrenched Democrat in a historically conservative district.
I'm not a fan of woke progressivism.

Stay asleep then.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #499 on: March 14, 2021, 02:33:24 PM »

it would be nice if more than 6% of it was going to actually, ya know, help with Covid. 

You know that's not really the focus of the bill, right?
clearly.  This is more of a Dems wishlist.

The point has always been economic stimulus and recovery from this recession. Which I guess is an item on the Dem wishlist.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies