The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:00:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23
Author Topic: The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states  (Read 89077 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2017, 09:00:43 PM »
« edited: November 08, 2023, 12:05:01 AM by Smile if you love men's prostates! »

---
I decided to create a new thread for this.  Old thread can be found here.

So, Jeff Sessions was confirmed as the new AG today and no one's really sure what will happen now as far as pot is concerned.  Sessions has made numerous anti-pot statements over the years and criticized the Obama administration last year for not cracking down on states that have legalized it.  In the Senate hearing, he said he wouldn't commit to not enforcing federal laws, but he also acknowledged the limited resources of the DoJ and recommended that Congress do something about the issue.

Trump has personally taken a "leave it the states" attitude on marijuana, so clearly it's not something that's high (no pun intended) on his agenda.  Considering the logistical and PR nightmares that would ensue with the Justice Department going after eight states and counting, as more states continue to liberalize their drug laws, I doubt he's willing to let Sessions have free reign over the issue.  So I guess I'm a tad optimistic that states will be allowed to continue experimenting with legalization as the movement for it grows.

In case I'm wrong, I'll post updates on any legal battles with the feds.  I also want to use this thread for updates on ballot initiatives, polls, legislative action, et cetera.

Two proposals have been made for legalization in the Minnesota legislature.  Unfortunately, they're probably DOA as Republicans control both chambers and Dayton is opposed to it.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 10:07:36 PM »

Wisconsin State Senate approved cannabidiol oil today on a vote of 31-1 and it's headed to the Assembly. No idea how Walker feels, he said he didn't support medical marijuana because it's a gateway drug but with the likely overwhelming approval in both houses I don't think he matters. Bill is problematic since it's still illegal to import it into the state or produce it in state. State Dem senator tried to allow production but was shot down.
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:41:04 PM »

Phil Murphy's come out in support of legalization (not just decriminalization) of marijuana in New Jersey, the only Democratic candidate to have done so in the race I believe. 
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 09:57:12 PM »

I hope Jeff Sessions enforces federal law. If you want the law changed, change it. We can't just ignore the hierarchy of legal code.
mencken
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 11:00:48 PM »

I hope Jeff Sessions enforces federal law. If you want the law changed, change it. We can't just ignore the hierarchy of legal code.

I think the Tenth Amendment takes precedence over congressional statute.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 04:38:06 AM »

What happened to conservatives supporting states rights?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 04:40:26 PM »

They will again when they're out of power, but then with all the changes they made the Dems can ram a lot down their throat and they won't be able to stop it. Not a smart move on their part.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 01:59:16 AM »

Here's what I think the status of legal recreational marijuana could look like after November 2020, by either referendum or through the statewide legislative process ...

In theory Kentucky or West Virginia could gain a comparative advantage by being the first to Legalize recreational marijuana, where 20-25% of domestic US agricultural production is currently based....

I doubt it will happen with the Social Fundies running the joint in both states, but certainly Kentucky in particular is well positioned, with a better growing climate, historical large scale agricultural hemp production, as well as iconoclasts of both political parties over the past few decades that have been promoting KY doing its agricultural thang.....

Plus if Rand Paul is still in the US Senate, it will help give the State some protection from Federal Government overreach, even under a Trump/Sessions administration....

Regardless, the papers are drying as we speak, and I can see close to 50% of Americans living in full "Green States" come 2020.....

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 07:31:05 PM »

They will again when they're out of power, but then with all the changes they made the Dems can ram a lot down their throat and they won't be able to stop it. Not a smart move on their part.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 01:49:58 PM »

The GOP cares about fiscal responsibility and state's rights when they are not in power.

When they are in power, they spend like drunken sailors and shove their police batons in every house.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 04:43:51 PM »

Anyone have a good website on the status of Marijuana referendums/bills in the states?

This is a pretty good site to check out on a regular basis for all types of ballot measures...

https://ballotpedia.org/Marijuana_on_the_ballot

Here's another website from a Marijuana policy reform advocacy group....

https://www.mpp.org/states/key-marijuana-policy-reform/

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 04:48:38 PM »

Also, since no one else has posted it, the 4th largest County in the US, Harris County Texas, is now effectively decriminalizing personal possession of < 4 Ounces of Marijuana effective the end of March...

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/New-policy-to-decriminalize-marijuana-in-Harris-10935947.php

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/02/16/texas-lawmakers-disagree-houston-moves-decriminalize-marijuana/
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 07:44:55 PM »

Spicer says Justice Department will crack down on states that legalized.

It begins.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 09:30:23 PM »

Quinnipiac poll shows a whopping 93% of Americans support medical marijuana use and 59 percent support legalizing recreational marijuana

Support for possession at 53% in Texas
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 10:48:08 PM »

59% support but only the most progressive Democrats are jumping on the bandwagon. Stupid.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 12:56:07 AM »

I would like to see the Feds try....

Damn.... I'm old enough to remember CAMP in California, and "Operation Ghost Dancer" in Oregon

https://www.amazon.com/Operation-Ghost-Dancer-Marijuana-Eradication/dp/B00EAZXZMQ

https://www.drugscience.org/Petition/C5J.html

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/06/23/Marijuana-booming-600-million-a-year-business-in-Oregon-Believed-to-be-states-largest-cash-crop/4215980764103/

Unless the Trump Administration wants to send the active duty of the US Military into the cities and rural areas of Oregon, Washington, and California and effectively declare war on the Western United States, I don't see any type of "crackdown" working.

Long gone are the days where our state governments will allow National Guard troops to run the helicopter overflights that we used to see for four months out of the year in our rural communities, and even small-towns and cities within our state.

We are done seeing neighbors, coworkers, friends, and family members rounded up in paramilitary style raids, facing long-term prison sentences and felony records, with life-time impacts for Marijuana Cultivation, Distribution, Possession.

We are done with the massive costs arising from the criminalization of marijuana, including the massive diversion of law enforcement resources, legal costs, and costs of incarceration....

Any Federal Troops of the Trump Administration invading the Free States of the West (Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, California, and Nevada) will only cause us to move forward in drafting our articles of secession....

Let's put it another way..... in many of the major weed growing counties/regions of Southern Oregon & Northern California, there are also a hell of a lot of Vietnam Vet Trump voters as well that aren't going to be too happy seeing the choppers flying over their 100 acre property out in the Mountains searching for their Legal outdoor patch....

Additionally, I would strongly recommend that anyone living in non-Freedom states where citizens can vote for legalization, to help push to get these items on the ballot in 2018, since this is a wedge issue that will significantly increase Millennial turnout, and potentially assist in down-ballot races, just as Republicans tried to use their Anti-Gay agenda in ballot initiatives in 2004 to increase turnout among their base....

I actually much more prefer alcohol to weed these past few decades for my post-work relaxation of choice, but hey different strokes, different folks, and I will vehemently defend the right of my fellow Oregonians to light one up if they feel so inclined.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 03:07:49 AM »

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 09:37:48 AM »

It actually wouldn't be a terrible idea to give states leeway on legalization in return for heavy federal regulations on THc content, IMO. Not that I think Sessions would propose something that nuanced
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »

"Violence around marijuana"? This guy is delusional. The only violence that takes place is due to the fact that it has not been legalized.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 11:01:34 AM »

"Violence around marijuana"? This guy is delusional. The only violence that takes place is due to the fact that it has not been legalized.

I've heard a reasonable argument that legalized weed nearly bankrupted the cartels and shifted their focus to heroin, leading to the opioid epidemic. It's a persuasive take.

That said, "ban weed so the cartels will sell that instead!" Would be the most asinine Drug War take in a long running debacle full of asinine takes
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2017, 06:25:17 PM »

I've heard a reasonable argument that legalized weed nearly bankrupted the cartels and shifted their focus to heroin, leading to the opioid epidemic. It's a persuasive take.

That said, "ban weed so the cartels will sell that instead!" Would be the most asinine Drug War take in a long running debacle full of asinine takes

The heroin problem has a lot more to do with prescription pain pills being given out like candy and long term use for musculoskeletal conditions where they shouldn't be used long term. It's basically synthetic heroin, people get addicted and then switch to heroin since it's cheaper. 
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 01:16:22 AM »
« Edited: March 01, 2017, 01:19:40 AM by Senator Scott »

Representatives Tom Garrett (R-VA) and Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) have introduced bipartisan legislation to exclude marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act, thus leaving states the authority to regulate the plant how best they see fit.

Should be interesting to see how many Republicans get behind this.  I'd expect it to get near-unanimous support from state delegations where it's been legalized and possible majority support from the Freedom Caucus.  I don't think every Democrat will vote for it, but I think this has a real chance at getting passed.  Fingers crossed.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 10:24:01 AM »

Representatives Tom Garrett (R-VA) and Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) have introduced bipartisan legislation to exclude marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act, thus leaving states the authority to regulate the plant how best they see fit.

Should be interesting to see how many Republicans get behind this.  I'd expect it to get near-unanimous support from state delegations where it's been legalized and possible majority support from the Freedom Caucus.  I don't think every Democrat will vote for it, but I think this has a real chance at getting passed.  Fingers crossed.

Honestly, I'm not really convinced that will pass. It is basically legalization at the federal level, and probably the best way right now to get the feds off the backs of states that legalized is to do the same thing the Rohrabacher amendment did for medical marijuana: prohibit the DoJ from spending money to interfere with state legalization. This kind of amendment almost passed in 2015:

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/06/03/house-votes-to-ban-some-pot-law-enforcement-cut-dea-budget

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course, this doesn't solve the banking issue the industry faces, but it's a step in the right direction. Until Republicans become less dependent on old voters who still very much form the backbone of anti-cannabis attitudes in this country, it is hard to see them doing something as bold as ending federal prohibition.

Then again, I'm a pessimist when it comes to this stuff Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »

Honestly, I'm not really convinced that will pass. It is basically legalization at the federal level, and probably the best way right now to get the feds off the backs of states that legalized is to do the same thing the Rohrabacher amendment did for medical marijuana: prohibit the DoJ from spending money to interfere with state legalization. This kind of amendment almost passed in 2015:

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/06/03/house-votes-to-ban-some-pot-law-enforcement-cut-dea-budget

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course, this doesn't solve the banking issue the industry faces, but it's a step in the right direction. Until Republicans become less dependent on old voters who still very much form the backbone of anti-cannabis attitudes in this country, it is hard to see them doing something as bold as ending federal prohibition.

Then again, I'm a pessimist when it comes to this stuff Tongue

Yeah, let's be honest here: this is going to be a political football until all the dinosaurs die/retire and get replaced by more forward-thinking people on this issue.  Fortunately, I think this is an issue that both parties will eventually reach agreement on and probably sooner rather than later.  Right now I think that any federal legalization/decriminalization attempt has a much better chance getting passed the House than the Senate, though, because there is a lot more diversity age-wise there.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 02:51:23 PM »

I'm a bit curious how Greg Walden (R-02) would vote on something like this....

He went from being strongly opposed to medical marijuana, in direct contrast with many of the voters in his Republican House district to supporting medical marijuana rights in states where it is legal in 2014 as well as medical marijuana for veterans:

http://www.bendbulletin.com/localstate/2133820-151/oregon-gop-like-nation-softening-on-medical-marijuana

http://marijuanapolitics.com/huge-win-veterans-medical-marijuana-oregon-congressman-earl-blumenauer/

His district opposed legalization, although it did win in the two largest population centers in his district, Jackson and Deschuttes Counties, as well as almost winning in heavily Republican Josephine County.

The Southern Oregon section of his district has a large illegal outdoor growing industry on public lands, much of it controlled by the drug cartels, which has a negative environmental and social impact.... this is a problem which has dramatically decreased now that recreational marijuana is legal in Oregon.

http://www.klamathbasincrisis.org/crops/pot/apublicmenace080810.htm

After observing one eradicated pot plantation after another during the flight, Walden concluded to no one in particular, "We used to grow timber."

Will Walden be one of the flip votes should there be any house will regarding supporting legalization in states where the voters have adopted this?

House members who voted for the Rohrabacher medical marijuana amendment last year but against the McClintock full legalization amendment:

http://www.marijuana.com/blog/news/2016/10/state-marijuana-votes-could-end-federal-prohibition-in-2017/

Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard [D]   CA
Rep. Thomas Rooney [R]   FL
Rep. Gwen Graham [D]   FL
Rep. Rob Woodall [R]   GA
Rep. Bob Dold [R]   IL
Rep. Adam Kinzinger [R]   IL
Rep. Stephen Lynch [D]   MA
Rep. Bruce Poliquin [R]   ME
Rep. Debbie Dingell [D]   MI
Rep. Collin Peterson [D]   MN
Rep. Blaine Luetkemeyer [R]   MO
Rep. Ryan Zinke [R]   MT
Rep. Kevin Cramer [R]   ND
Rep. Brad Ashford [D]   NE
Rep. Peter King [R]   NY
Rep. Louise Slaughter [D]   NY
Rep. Yvette Clarke [D]   NY
Rep. Paul Tonko [D]   NY
Rep. Tom Reed II [R]   NY
Rep. Christopher Gibson [R]   NY
Rep. Richard Hanna [R]   NY
Rep. Lee Zeldin [R]   NY
Rep. Elise Stefanik [R]   NY
Rep. Daniel Donovan Jr. [R]   NY
Rep. Joyce Beatty [D]   OH
Rep. Greg Walden [R]   OR
Rep. Jim Cooper [D]   TN
Rep. John Duncan Jr. [R]   TN
Rep. Gene Green [D]   TX
Rep. Ruben Hinojosa [D]   TX
Rep. Marc Veasey [D]   TX
Rep. Filemon Vela [D]   TX
Rep. Jason Chaffetz [R]   UT
Rep. Chris Stewart [R]   UT
Rep. Mia Love [R]   UT
Rep. James Sensenbrenner Jr. [R]   WI
Rep. Glenn Grothman [R]   WI
Rep. Alex Mooney [R]   WV
Reps. Corrine Brown (D-FL) and Vern Buchan (R-FL) both voted for the McClintock amendment but against the Rohrabacher amendment.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies