The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:51:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23
Author Topic: The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states  (Read 89095 times)
Cashew
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2019, 05:38:57 PM »

Thank goodness that this failed in NJ

We seem to have one of the best liberal Democratic parties, constantly holding back far-left legislation, good. I feel bad for those in CA and CO, who actually have to deal with this horrendous policy.

Not funny.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2019, 06:01:35 PM »

NJ got cold feet, it seems.

Next year, perhaps?

Ugh. The one area of policy I actually supported Murphy in.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2019, 11:45:28 PM »

New Mexico ran out of time this session to do full legalization but MLG says that it will be towards the top of the list of stuff to do next year. There’s a bill that’s passed the house to decriminalize it and do some stuff on the medical end.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #178 on: May 30, 2019, 12:38:17 PM »

Illinois Senate passes bill legalizing recreational marijuana use

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/446155-illinois-senate-passes-bill-legalizing-recreational-marijuana-use

The Illinois Senate on Tuesday passed legislation that would legalize recreational use of marijuana.

The state chamber passed the measure in a 38-17 vote on Wednesday. The bill now heads to the state House for consideration.

Under the measure, also called the Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act, the state would legalize the “use of cannabis" for "persons 21 years of age or older and should be taxed in a manner similar to alcohol.”

The bill would allow “legitimate, taxpaying business people” to conduct sales of cannabis and that “selling, distributing, or transferring cannabis to minors and other persons under 21 years of age” would remain illegal.

Similar to how the law applies to alcohol, people would also be legally required under the new measure to “show proof of age before purchasing cannabis” and would be prohibited from driving under the influence of the cannabis.

Not 100% on it but I think part of the compromise was that only people with a medical marijuana card can grow their own at home.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #179 on: May 30, 2019, 02:22:33 PM »

Excellent!  Now the ball is in Madigan's court.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2019, 02:34:28 PM »

Hopefully he blocks it

He should do at least one good thing for Illinois, and that good thing is blocking marijuana access (which should be illegal nationwide)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #181 on: May 30, 2019, 02:36:05 PM »

Hopefully he blocks it

He should do at least one good thing for Illinois, and that good thing is blocking marijuana access (which should be illegal nationwide)

It's funny because you're one of the people who could benefit from a joint the most.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #182 on: May 30, 2019, 02:39:14 PM »

Hopefully he blocks it

Why do Republicans hate freedom so much?

Either way, excellent news, especially after NJ sh**t the bead.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #183 on: May 30, 2019, 02:41:32 PM »

Hopefully he blocks it

Hopefully he blocks it

We hate crime

Also thank god that NJ rejected this
Cashew
United States

« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2019, 02:48:47 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2019, 02:57:05 PM by Tulsi "Both sides" Gabbard »

Excellent!  Now the ball is in Madigan's court.

Hopefully he blocks it

Excellent!  Now the ball is in Madigan's court.

Hopefully he blocks it

We hate crime

"I support the way things are because that's the way things are!" "If something is illegal, it must stay illegal because it is illegal!" Two fallacies in one, impressive.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2019, 05:04:22 PM »

Jared Polis signed six marijuana-related bills in Colorado yesterday, including a bill that lets businesses apply for a permit to allow consumption on their property.  The measures will have to be approved by local governments.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #186 on: May 31, 2019, 02:51:41 PM »

Illinois House passed the legislation 66-47, goes to Pritzker who says he will sign.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2019, 12:29:52 AM »

It doesn't look like legalization is on the table in NY this year.  Cuomo says the votes aren't there in the Senate just yet and the session ends in just twelve days, although Cuomo as well as the Speaker and Majority Leader have been blamed for the bill stalling.

New York, like New Jersey, has awful politics, so sadly this doesn't surprise me.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2019, 12:39:39 AM »

It doesn't look like legalization is on the table in NY this year.  Cuomo says the votes aren't there in the Senate just yet and the session ends in just twelve days, although Cuomo as well as the Speaker and Majority Leader have been blamed for the bill stalling.

New York, like New Jersey, has awful politics, so sadly this doesn't surprise me.

If Cuomo actually wanted the votes to be there, they would be there.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2019, 11:30:48 AM »

It doesn't look like legalization is on the table in NY this year.  Cuomo says the votes aren't there in the Senate just yet and the session ends in just twelve days, although Cuomo as well as the Speaker and Majority Leader have been blamed for the bill stalling.

If Cuomo actually wanted the votes to be there, they would be there.

Could be not enough time to actually get those deals done to make it happen in the time remaining, but yes, you're right.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2019, 08:52:39 AM »

Appears there might be a slim chance for NY to do something about marijuana this session.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #191 on: June 25, 2019, 04:18:15 PM »

The Illinois legislation has been signed into law.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/illinois-recreational-marijuana-governor-legalizes-governor-j-b-pritzker-signs-bill-today-2019-06-25/
TWTown
GhostOfHuey
United States

« Reply #192 on: July 02, 2019, 07:00:45 PM »

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem legalization is on the horizon in my state where the Republicans still control the Upper Chamber. I believe they actually blocked a Senate bill earlier this year.

Edit: Found it. https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/03/11/senate-committee-torpedoes-legal-marijuana-bill
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2019, 10:48:22 AM »

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem legalization is on the horizon in my state where the Republicans still control the Upper Chamber. I believe they actually blocked a Senate bill earlier this year.

Edit: Found it. https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/03/11/senate-committee-torpedoes-legal-marijuana-bill

It is amazing how Republican politicians are in opposition to even a lot of their own supporters.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2019, 05:00:06 PM »

It is amazing how Republican politicians are in opposition to even a lot of their own supporters.

Just like so many other issues.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2019, 12:19:38 PM »

Most Republican politicians are right on issues like drugs and crime. They take the wrong view on issues like guns, the environment, and education. Oh, and then of course, you have Republicans like Rand Paul and Cory Gardner, who take the wrong view on drugs, but then again, Rand Paul takes the wrong view on practically every issue.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2019, 12:35:20 PM »

Most Republican politicians are right on issues like drugs and crime. They take the wrong view on issues like guns, the environment, and education. Oh, and then of course, you have Republicans like Rand Paul and Cory Gardner, who take the wrong view on drugs, but then again, Rand Paul takes the wrong view on practically every issue.

I have to give you some credit. You really are a stereotypical "Suburban NJ Conservative" lol. Almost feels as if you're playing a character.

I'm personally not super pleased about the spread of marijuana use, but I think legalizing it makes more sense than just decriminalizing.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2019, 12:54:53 PM »

I have to give you some credit. You really are a stereotypical "Suburban NJ Conservative" lol. Almost feels as if you're playing a character.

I'm personally not super pleased about the spread of marijuana use, but I think legalizing it makes more sense than just decriminalizing.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2019, 03:48:43 PM »

Hopefully he blocks it

Hopefully he blocks it

We hate crime

If you legalize it, then it won’t be a crime.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #199 on: July 27, 2019, 12:44:29 AM »

Hell, not even understanding your political perspective.....

Doesn't sound Libertarian, Republican, Democratic nor Green....

In Oregon back in the '80s at the height of the Reagan Recession, many out of work Loggers and Millworkers (Skilled craftmen all) learned to grow a certain strain of MJ to not only export out of state, but also to improve the spirits of Oregonians that were suffering the highest unemployment rate in the Country at the time....

"Most Republicans are Right on Issues Like Drugs and Crime"..... (Your Words)

Sounds like yet another rethread of the days where George Bush Sr was mobilizing Oregon National Guard Troops to conduct a quasi-military operation in my home state.

Can you imagine living in a setting where the sounds of Military Helicopters wake you up in the early morning hours, hovering over your 1.5 acre property on a river bank in the Mid-day?

Can you imagine a New Jersey where massive raids are committed against alleged Marijuana Growers, in a small town and rural state experiencing the most massive depression since the Great Depression?

These raids were not just committed against "Hippies" but against laid off and unemployed loggers that knew the forest and their rural counties and resisted by all means necessary against the Federal Raids of "King George HW Bush"...

Read your history Man before you open your mouth on this subject....

There were certain places where we knew not to go as teenagers, my wife from Josephine County and me from the Central Willamette Valley because "No Trespassing Signs" mean exactly that.... likely a Vietnam Vet just wants to be let alone, maybe would take a warning shot if you cross the property line during dear hunting season....

Sorry punk, you sound like a Liberal when you talk about Guns, Environment, & Education....

Give you that. but I still have many friends, family members, and co-workers that like their guns (mainly for hunting and target shooting), so even many "Liberal Oregon Democrats" are chill with 2nd Amendment Rights, although the vast majority of us disagree with the Gun Loophole and Federal Background Check BS.

Not all of us agree with banning procurement and purchase of semi-automatics, but hell we all agree with strengthening screening laws, and potentially even gradually prohibiting purchases of certain guns that are more a weapon of war than anything else....

Not sure where you are at man, but maybe take a toke listen to some tunes and realize that Prohibition is done gone and over.

No longer much of toker and smoker in my mid '40s, but hell America has much bigger issues to deal with in 2019 than a continuation of Prohibition and the "War on Drugs" which created permanent Felony records for parents of Oregonians that I went to HS with simply because they were growing weed....

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies