The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:51:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states  (Read 91020 times)
vanguard96
United States

« on: June 22, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »

I was at a county-level LP event last night and we had a speaker from LegalizeMI on the petition to get legalization of recreational marihuana on the ballot for 2018 here in Michigan. They are 'well on their way' in the signature drive.

It had a decent compromise on the number of plants (12), punishment for possession (fines and misdemeanors instead of felonies for under 21 possession or personally carrying more than 2.5 oz). Revenue wise it was in the middle with 10% excise tax plus 6% state sales tax. Again not perfect but perhaps they can get it to pass.

My one concern is it would be a midterm election and likely prohibition voters typically skew higher for the midterms than the presidential elections.

So far the numbers don't look bad.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 12:51:41 PM »

What's the deadline to get enough sigs to make it to the ballot as a citizen's initiative?

I'm fairly confident that if it makes it to the voters in Michigan it will likely pass, but frequently even in states where citizen ballot initiatives are common, ballot thresholds can make it tight towards the endgame, especially if a chunk of supporters are relatively younger and more likely to move around and such, which can create a much higher % of "invalid" signatures when the SoS does the "spot checks", and I'm sure that Washtenaw and Ingham will be disproportionately audited on this particular initiative....

180 days

Yes, the campaign behind is being run quite well - they are ahead of target on signing and are trying to get a strong support in their polling for their proposals. Revenue wise it is mid-range, plant restriction wise it is one of the least restrictive.

A speaker from MI Legalize came to our last monthly meeting. I liked how the new laws did not create any new more stringent penalties where there were not before.

Of course the police are not very forthcoming with comments on it but a lot of other groups they've put the proposals to have been fairly supportive.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies