The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:42:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states  (Read 91026 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: June 26, 2017, 08:32:09 PM »

Utah Patients Coalition working to get medical marijuana on the ballot in Utah:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As a local, I think it'll pass. Enough people support medical marijuana (even with the Reefer Madness attitude among the halls of power in the state) that if they can get it to the ballot, it'll win. The most recent campaigns have even been headed by active Mormon moms who are a far cry from the stereotypical view of a medical marijuana user.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 10:33:12 PM »

Utah Patients Coalition working to get medical marijuana on the ballot in Utah:

As a local, I think it'll pass. Enough people support medical marijuana (even with the Reefer Madness attitude among the halls of power in the state) that if they can get it to the ballot, it'll win. The most recent campaigns have even been headed by active Mormon moms who are a far cry from the stereotypical view of a medical marijuana user.

Hmmm... that's pretty interesting.

Any feedback yet from the LDS leadership on this potential ballot initiative yet?

Assuming based upon what you have posted that it would be a high CBD/ Low THC scene?

Based upon your experience and knowledge of Utah politics, how difficult would it be to get this initiative on the ballot to meet the signature requirements?

You're in luck, because it turns out the LDS Church put out this statement yesterday:

Basically, they're on the MOAR RESEARCH BUT SERIOUSLY, REEFER MADNESS GUYS train. Though they have actually supported extremely limited, low-THC cannaboid oil treatments for sick kids.

And I don't know much about CBD and THC, but from what I understand, all serious efforts to legalize it in Utah have focused on low THC treatments.

As for getting the initiative on the ballot, it's rather difficult, but doable. A decade ago, we managed to force lawmakers to put vouchers on the ballot (when they wanted to pass it secretly in the legislature) and then crushed vouchers by a ballot vote, so its certainly doable if the will is there. And even with the LDS Church's refusal to really support medical marijuana, I think it will pass. Most Mormons don't even think of marijuana as Reefer Madness anymore, and a lot of people have sick relatives and friends who could use medical marijuana. Heck, recent efforts have been spearheaded by faithful Mormon moms, as I said.

And only tangentially related, but Utah was the deciding state to overturn Prohibition, despite the then LDS Church President Heber J Grant being vocally and politically in favor of Prohibition.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 04:05:52 PM »

New poll in Utah shows 77% support for medical marijuana:

Of note is that 45% strongly support, and almost 33% somewhat support, with only about 20% strongly opposing or somewhat opposing.

If it gets on the ballot, it's going to win. I'm absolutely sure of it.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 10:29:53 PM »

Another poll in Utah shows 74% support for medical marijuana, despite LDS Church opposition.

Of note:

74% support overall

63% active Mormons (that is, churchgoing, tithe-paying, allowed in LDS temples) support it.

61% of Republicans support it.

93% of Democrats support it.

81% of independents support it.

51% of those who describe themselves as “very conservative” support it.

Basically, if this gets on the ballot, (which it should, the signature gatherers are well funded and motivated), it will pass. What's interesting though is that the face of medical marijuana legalization in Utah are good Mormon moms and kids (and a few grandmas). The medical marijuana coalition (called TRUCE) is essentially using the "think of the children and the moms" argument, but in favor rather than against marijuana.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies