Peace Through Strength - (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:22:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Peace Through Strength - (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Peace Through Strength - (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)  (Read 10152 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 02:24:49 AM »

I'm definitely down to be the China.

Just what we needed, welcome, Spamage!

I'd be good to take France. Especially with their Presidential Election coming soon.

Good!

How would the election be handled?

Hm. Probably easier if I allow you to pick the winner and start playing as Hollande's successor, if the other players don't mind. Either that or playing in the first turn as Hollande and then continue as the winner (which is sort of unnecesary).

So you'd have to choose between Macron, Le Pen or Fillon (Melenchon or Hamon only if you really want to go that route)

Could I take Macron? It'd be easier for me to get him in character.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 02:27:10 AM »

Aye, it's a fairly plausible development. I'll post a full story on that at the beginning of turn one, but in short Fillon will continue to implode and refuse to withdraw, and Macron will (narrowly) defeat Le Pen on the second round.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2017, 02:33:35 AM »

Can I take Prime Minister Modi of India?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2017, 02:38:07 AM »

Count me in, although I'm unsure who I want to play as.

If I can do an annoying conditional thing, give me Italy or North Korea if someone takes the other of those two (or Russia if Dr_Novella wants to play as someone else instead).
diptheriadan

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2017, 04:10:22 AM »

I'm not entirely sure how to play this just yet. Can I start playing as a nation after a few turns to make sure I know what I'm doing?
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2017, 04:24:47 AM »

I'm not entirely sure how to play this just yet. Can I start playing as a nation after a few turns to make sure I know what I'm doing?

I'd recommend you start at once. It's not that difficult and each turn will take a few days at minimum to a few weeks. Basically it'll go like this: at the start of a turn Lumine will announce what happened in the last turn, say if there is a big crisis that have to be handled in this turn, and give two or three mini-crises to each player (things like natural disasters or budget recommendations; like this in the last game).

From there you can do whatever you want; you can make statements in the main thread which would be official public declarations or talk in private over PM for things like private alliance negotiation. Then, at the end of the turn you'd post your orders. Usually when I play I have two sets of orders: a public one for things I want everyone to see or that they'd know anyway, like the government's budget or refugee policy, and then a private set I'd send to Lumine with secret things like orders for spies.

Submitting orders at the end of the turn is the only thing you HAVE to do and even with that some players have forgotten a turn and still come out alright. Nothing beyond that is required; roleplaying and public messages are all just fluff to add to the fun.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2017, 11:54:34 AM »

By all means, welcome, Prime Minister!

Count me in, although I'm unsure who I want to play as.

If I can do an annoying conditional thing, give me Italy or North Korea if someone takes the other of those two (or Russia if Dr_Novella wants to play as someone else instead).

We'll be starting tomorrow night, so there's stillt ime to choose. North Korea would possibly be fun though (or Russia as well).

Dereich's explanation is ideal, frankly. I would also encourage you to start playing (perhaps as a smaller but still relevant nation) and learn on the move, as several players have done with rather good results. If not, sure, you can always join the game after a turn is over.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2017, 12:56:36 PM »

One day and I missed this?

Well, have fun.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2017, 02:04:51 PM »

Well, have fun.

You could still probably play someone.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2017, 02:08:23 PM »

Well, have fun.

It's not too late! Your work in the last game was so impressive; this one could absolutely use you.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 02:17:59 PM »

I'm thinking Saudi Arabia/Iran. I really like playing Muslim countries with oil Tongue
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 02:25:57 PM »

I'm thinking Saudi Arabia/Iran. I really like playing Muslim countries with oil Tongue

Fantastic!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 02:30:40 PM »

Personally I'd prefer Saudi Arabia, due to King Salman still having more room to evolve one way or the other, unlike such an oldtime hardliner like Khamenei. If Lumine feels Iran is more needed, though, I'm fine with this.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2017, 02:40:28 PM »

Personally I'd prefer Saudi Arabia, due to King Salman still having more room to evolve one way or the other, unlike such an oldtime hardliner like Khamenei. If Lumine feels Iran is more needed, though, I'm fine with this.

I'm not allowing more Middle East players after you for the moment (to give space to other areas of conflict), so in that sense I think having an Iran makes for a more balanced and engaging scenario in the sense that said player will face diplomatic conflict with Israel and the US far more easily than Saudi Arabia itself. In any case, you've more than earned the right to have a choice, you can select your own preference.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2017, 02:46:21 PM »

Well, I think you're right about the balance thing. I'll take Iran. I just wonder whether I'm a new Supreme Leader or old one.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2017, 02:56:37 PM »

Well, I think you're right about the balance thing. I'll take Iran. I just wonder whether I'm a new Supreme Leader or old one.

Well, if you want to play a new one we can have Khamenei step down and you play as a new Supreme Leader. I should say though that I have no idea on possible successors, so if you want to play a new one I'm open to suggestions.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2017, 03:33:22 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2017, 03:36:41 PM by Kalwejt »

Well, if you want to play a new one we can have Khamenei step down and you play as a new Supreme Leader. I should say though that I have no idea on possible successors, so if you want to play a new one I'm open to suggestions.

Out of those who aren't terribly old or "young" Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi seems like a possibility, an establishment figure but with some "moderate" inclinations. I can't evision myself playing either as a total hardliner or all-open reformist.

Or maybe Rafsanjani, assuming he's still alive ITL.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2017, 03:43:40 PM »

Out of those who aren't terribly old or "young" Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi seems like a possibility, an establishment figure but with some "moderate" inclinations. I can't evision myself playing either as a total hardliner or all-open reformist.

Shahroudi will be fine. We'll make it so Khamenei died on January 2017, and he was selected as his successor as a compromise choice.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2017, 03:49:05 PM »

Shahroudi will be fine. We'll make it so Khamenei died on January 2017, and he was selected as his successor as a compromise choice.

Great! Smiley
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2017, 05:59:57 PM »

Can I reserve North Korea?  In the event, that I am able, I mean.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2017, 06:06:32 PM »

Can I reserve North Korea?  In the event, that I am able, I mean.

Certainly.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2017, 08:39:06 PM »

Oh, son of a bitch, I missed it again.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2017, 08:42:03 PM »

Oh, son of a bitch, I missed it again.

It's still open, I believe.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2017, 09:03:31 PM »

It is! Sign-ups for turn one are up until tomorrow evening.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2017, 09:17:01 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2017, 09:19:24 PM by Lumine »

Also, I'm writing turn crises to be ready, so those of you who haven't confirmed your countries please do so ASAP (particularly those interested in the US, North Korea and possibly Italy).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies