UFCW leaves AFL-CIO
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:13:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  UFCW leaves AFL-CIO
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UFCW leaves AFL-CIO  (Read 687 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2005, 04:54:53 PM »

And then there were three

Just thinking but the SEIU leaving the AFL-CIO must have come as a big blow for Sweeney...

I don't especially like the new union federation (the Teamsters have too much influence) but I don't like Sweeney either; he's just a political hack and hasn't a clue about how to get the US Labor Movement off the floor.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 06:48:48 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2005, 06:51:55 PM by Storebought »

Mort Zuckerman, the billionaire "limosine conservative" of the McLaughlin group, actually gave the most cogent reason for the decline of labor: automation

John Sweeney and his lot think that preserving the jobs of the industrial labor unions will stop the bleeding, but face it, those sub-high school/9-5/$30-bucks-an-hour industrial jobs are dead, and what healthy manufacturing remains are nonunionized car assembly plants and such in the South.

The new labor will draw its recruits entirely from the service sector and the federal government within a decade or so. Which will be just in time for the GOP to institute a new rule limiting service unionization in the manner of the Taft-Hartley Act of 1947
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 09:47:45 PM »

Just keep it coming.  It's time for the mega unions to come to an end, and let the smaller, single company unions arise.  The big unions complain about the loss of manufacturing jobs, yet they are a part of the problem to begin with.  Remove them and allow the US to compete once again.
TexasPatriot2024
TexasPatriot
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 10:20:27 PM »

I went to a future leaders convention (nerdy i know) and one of our guest speaker was Ms. Linda Chavez- Thompson, the Executive Vice President of the AFL-CIO. She seemed like a nice enough lady but she her ideas were crazy. She preached on and on about stopping outsourcing but at the same time increasing our minimum wage to $8.50. When asked how in the world they planned to do both of those she had no real answers. The organization has gone south, they have no idea where they are going. I dont blame anyone for bailing on them
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies