Bush may sidestep Congress on Bolton for U.N. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:33:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bush may sidestep Congress on Bolton for U.N. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush may sidestep Congress on Bolton for U.N.  (Read 6023 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 01, 2005, 02:52:07 PM »

What the hell is it about Bolton that Bush likes so much?

My thoughts exactly.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 04:50:14 PM »

Have you not read Bush's comments on the man?  Obviously Bush went out of way to get the guy he wanted, so obviously Bush believes they are both on the same page.

He can't find someone who is in line with his views that doesn't have such a big paper trail and congressional opposition to his appointment?  I have trouble believing this, and I think Bush is trying so hard to make sure Bolton gets in to spite Congress, and especially the congressional Republicans who oppose Bolton (I don't know any off hand but I'm sure they exist if there's such a big battle.)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 04:57:45 PM »

He can't find someone who is in line with his views that doesn't have such a big paper trail and congressional opposition to his appointment?

Bolton is very hard-line, which obviously Bush feels fits into this administrations plans for the next 3 1/2 years.

But he could no doubt find a somebody who would take exactly the same course of action and be confirmed easily.  That's why I say it's more of a personal issue with Bush not wanting to lose to congress than Bolton being irreplaceable.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 05:06:12 PM »

But he could no doubt find a somebody who would take exactly the same course of action and be confirmed easily.  That's why I say it's more of a personal issue with Bush not wanting to lose to congress than Bolton being irreplaceable.

Dude, wake up!  This country is at war and the outcome is not a given.  Yet, the Dems see Bush as more of a threat than our enemies!

The Dems in the Senate wouldn't even allow a vote on Bolton.  Now, if the Dems want to try to prove Bolton was unacceptable to the Senate, then they can allow an up or down vote on Bolton as soon as the August recess is over.

So, you believe Bolton is irreplaceable and the course of action he would take could not be ducplicated by any other individual, an individual who likely could easily be confirmed, and you also believe that nominating Bolton is crucial to victory in the war on terror.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 05:27:50 PM »

Bolton would have an up-down vote if the documents asked for were released.  These are not being released, presumably, becuase they leave a paper trail more damaging to Bolton than his "UN does not exist" quote.  Dems in the senate realize this, and feel (at least outwardly) that without those documents a fair vote cannot be achieved with the current knowledge of Bolton at hand.

The elected Senators of the Republic are exercising their right to filibuster.  that's their motion, and it's within the law.  I like Chafee's quote on the matter.  I still believe the appointment of Bolton is unnecessary and Bush is going through with this to show the Congress that who he chooses gets in.  That is more of a motive to Bush than is a belief that Bolton is essential to international affairs.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2005, 05:31:29 PM »

And the president of the republic is exercising his right to recess appointments.

I'm not challenging that, I'm somewhat challenging the "and if a majority of the republic doesn't agree with it, then a majority of the republic's elected Senators can vote to reject his nominee" statement by JMF.  That isn't the only option.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 05:35:46 PM »

Bolton would have an up-down vote if the documents asked for were released. 

Unfortunately, I don't think that the vote would have occurred before recess even if the documents were released.  Bolton was one of the best/last chances the Democrats had in order to make a stand against Bush, and the document issue was just a way the could excuse their refusal to allow the vote.

I doubt the Dems would refuse to vote after they got what they publically asked for.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 05:39:29 PM »

JMF I hope you can see how Bolton is a controversial nomination.  There would be little grounds to oppose a guy like Roberts when he gets voted on, and few will.  But Bolton is a man with a long paper trail of questionable comments and it makes sense that people would oppose those views.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 05:53:16 PM »

I thought the left hates America talk would calm down after 2004.  I was wrong.

Bolton's "There's no such thing as the United Nations" of course will anger some who feel the presence of the UN is important.  They don't oppose Bolton because they dislike the American way of life. 

If Bush wanted the UN to jump in a river, or however you put it, he also could take a course of action that breaks off US relations with the United Nations. 

Now I'll go continue my American way of life and play MVP baseball, I'm on a 8-game winning streak.  And with ot without John bolton, we can continue the American lifestyle we all love.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 05:58:24 PM »

I thought the left hates America talk would calm down after 2004.  I was wrong.

Yep, you are wrong, for Pacifica Radio is still spouting anti-American propaganda day in and day out.

So you think Al Franken (or is he Air America?) or whoever represents the Democratic base in the senate?

Also if possible I'd like some quotes from Pacifica (which I've never listened to as far as I can remember) to back up what you're saying.  I'm sure that they've said pretty stupid things, as that's what extremists will do, but I'd like to know just what.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies