what state has a surprisingly
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:24:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  what state has a surprisingly
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: what state has a surprisingly  (Read 398 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:38:49 PM »

liberal/moderate democratic party and conservative/moderate gop vis-a-vis the state?

I'd say:
Utah democrats
rhode island democrats
california gop
kansas gop
elcorazon

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 02:40:20 PM »

I don't understand the question.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »

Massachusetts Legislative GOP is quite conservative. Mainly because they never matter. The Dems own the state leg, and are really two parties

Union/WWC/Centrist/DLC types (Stephen Lynch)
Progressive/Academic/POC types (Liz Warren)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 02:47:23 PM »

Massachusetts Legislative GOP is quite conservative. Mainly because they never matter. The Dems own the state leg, and are really two parties

Union/WWC/Centrist/DLC types (Stephen Lynch)
Progressive/Academic/POC types (Liz Warren)

surprised by that. I thought Charlie Baker (who never really endorsed Trump) is a typical Massachusetts repub.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 02:49:58 PM »

basically four questions:

what state democratic party is relatively liberal given how red the state is (i.e. utah democrats)
what state gop is relatively conservative given how blue the state is (i.e. california gop)
what state democratic party is relatively moderate-to-conservative given how blue the state is (i.e. RI dems)
what state republican party is pretty moderate-to-liberal given how red the state is (i.e. KS GOP)
Rjjr77
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 03:20:58 PM »

what state democratic party is relatively liberal given how red the state is (i.e. utah democrats)
what state gop is relatively conservative given how blue the state is (i.e. california gop)
what state democratic party is relatively moderate-to-conservative given how blue the state is (i.e. RI dems)
what state republican party is pretty moderate-to-liberal given how red the state is (i.e. KS GOP)
From my anecdotal dealings-
Democrats that are too liberal for their state: The majority of the Texas Democrat Party
Republicans that are too conservative: majority of the Delaware GOP.
Democrats that are more moderate for their state: It was years ago, but I used to think Washington state had a lot of moderate Ds.
Republicans surprisingly moderate: Mississippi. This may shock some folks but the Mississippi GOP is not as conservative as people think.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 03:36:27 PM »

Democrats that are too liberal for their state: The majority of the Texas Democrat Party

i find that interesting since it wasn't all that long ago that people like Chet Edwards and Max Sandlin were in office

Republicans surprisingly moderate: Mississippi. This may shock some folks but the Mississippi GOP is not as conservative as people think.

the people in MS are temperamentally conservative but they're not CFGers. They're still big into pork (see Thad Cochran)
Rjjr77
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 03:52:09 PM »

i find that interesting since it wasn't all that long ago that people like Chet Edwards and Max Sandlin were in office

the people in MS are temperamentally conservative but they're not CFGers. They're still big into pork (see Thad Cochran)

I agree, Texas used to have democrats like Rick Perry in many of our lifetimes, but the conservative Ds left in droves, it's real liberal now.

As for Mississippi it's something I've noticed in my years of living there, guns and abortion they fall far right on, but people often think of the state as one of the deepest conservative places (they've even been named as such in a few surveys) and I think that has more to do with the conservative nature of their democrats, as the republicans are much further left than several neighboring states parties, and further left than a few swing states parties.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 04:01:16 PM »

Republicans that are too conservative: majority of the Delaware GOP.
Democrats that are more moderate for their state: It was years ago, but I used to think Washington state had a lot of moderate Ds.

-All looks about right. Also, I think the NY Dems are more conservative than really needed for NY.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies