Office of Lincoln Governor Lok (Lincoln's next governor!!!)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:40:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Lincoln Governor Lok (Lincoln's next governor!!!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Office of Lincoln Governor Lok (Lincoln's next governor!!!)  (Read 7805 times)
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2018, 02:22:41 AM »

So, to all federalists, how about we sit down, calm down, and stop this which hunt that has been going on?
It may be illegal, but it’s wrong to just appoint someone who already has their plate full as a Senator. There are plenty of new people who could’ve been appointed. I would also like to mention, the voters voted for a Federalist (Tilden) not a Laborite (Scott). Do what is best for our region, lok.

Well, they voted for a member of the Citizens Party, but they got a Federalist. Tongue
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2018, 02:52:53 AM »

As you've been unfairly accused of misconduct yourself, Fhtagn, I'm sure you understand that these issues are rarely as simple as an officeholder just plain not doing their job because they're a partisan hack, or whatever. Speaking as someone who has on several occasions in the past two weeks alone spoken with the governor on the state of the region, I can testify that Lok is by no means "choosing inactive Labor Party members" as a matter of policy—the depressing fact of the matter is that the number of willing applicants for these positions has dwindled to near zero, people don't respond to private messages or public appeals for applicants, and (especially in the last month, as final exams and then the holiday season have sapped attention from the forum) national activity has entered a seasonal slump. This is not a problem unique to Lincoln—from what I can tell, it's happening everywhere—but Lincoln was in the weakest position going into the fall, due to festering structural problems that long precede this administration.

You say the governor has installed "inactive" candidates in office—but that's not quite accurate. Griffin, Clyde, and Sam Tilden were not zombie voters plucked from the census to fill a seat; all three were active posters, chosen for their history of activity and their demonstrated initiative. Griffin actually completed his (albeit brief) tenure competently; he was succeeded by Clyde and then by Tilden, both of whom entered office full of promise only to disappear without warning. That's not the governor's fault, any more than it is the president's fault when their predecessor unexpectedly vanishes minutes after declaring World War III.

The argument that the governor ought to be constrained by partisan considerations in times of inactivity, especially after an election in which the number of candidates equalled the number of seats (thus rendering the argument that any particular party emerged from thence with a mandate), strikes me as a poor one—as I recall, the old Northeast once mandated that those appointed to fill vacancies in the Assembly share a party with their predecessor, until it was finally recognized that this only hurt the region by requiring the governor to select sub-optimal candidates to adhere to a rigid understanding of representative governance. Furthermore, unless I am mistaken, Scott will not hold this seat indefinitely; with the next elections more than two months away, his nomination constitutes a temporary appointment until a special election may be held, at which point the voters will have the opportunity either to extend his tenure (should he choose to run) or opt for an alternative.

What worries me hear is that everyone seems to be focussing on a single individual as the source of all evil while ignoring the broader structural and practical problems facing the region. Despite the aforementioned scarcity of applicants, the Assembly has recently voted to create yet another appointed position—the Election Administrator—a bill that passed with bipartisan support with votes from the very same people who bemoan the paucity of good appointments.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2018, 03:04:12 AM »

As you've been unfairly accused of misconduct yourself, Fhtagn, I'm sure you understand that these issues are rarely as simple as an officeholder just plain not doing their job because they're a partisan hack, or whatever. Speaking as someone who has on several occasions in the past two weeks alone spoken with the governor on the state of the region, I can testify that Lok is by no means "choosing inactive Labor Party members" as a matter of policy—the depressing fact of the matter is that the number of willing applicants for these positions has dwindled to near zero, people don't respond to private messages or public appeals for applicants, and (especially in the last month, as final exams and then the holiday season have sapped attention from the forum) national activity has entered a seasonal slump. This is not a problem unique to Lincoln—from what I can tell, it's happening everywhere—but Lincoln was in the weakest position going into the fall, due to festering structural problems that long precede this administration.

You say the governor has installed "inactive" candidates in office—but that's not quite accurate. Griffin, Clyde, and Sam Tilden were not zombie voters plucked from the census to fill a seat; all three were active posters, chosen for their history of activity and their demonstrated initiative. Griffin actually completed his (albeit brief) tenure competently; he was succeeded by Clyde and then by Tilden, both of whom entered office full of promise only to disappear without warning. That's not the governor's fault, any more than it is the president's fault when their predecessor unexpectedly vanishes minutes after declaring World War III.

The argument that the governor ought to be constrained by partisan considerations in times of inactivity, especially after an election in which the number of candidates equalled the number of seats (thus rendering the argument that any particular party emerged from thence with a mandate), strikes me as a poor one—as I recall, the old Northeast once mandated that those appointed to fill vacancies in the Assembly share a party with their predecessor, until it was finally recognized that this only hurt the region by requiring the governor to select sub-optimal candidates to adhere to a rigid understanding of representative governance. Furthermore, unless I am mistaken, Scott will not hold this seat indefinitely; with the next elections more than two months away, his nomination constitutes a temporary appointment until a special election may be held, at which point the voters will have the opportunity either to extend his tenure (should he choose to run) or opt for an alternative.

What worries me hear is that everyone seems to be focussing on a single individual as the source of all evil while ignoring the broader structural and practical problems facing the region. Despite the aforementioned scarcity of applicants, the Assembly has recently voted to create yet another appointed position—the Election Administrator—a bill that passed with bipartisan support with votes from the very same people who bemoan the paucity of good appointments.
I know at least 2 people, of which I have told lok about, who would be elated to be appointed to the assmbly. It is less an issue od scarcity of applicants and more an issue of not being willing to look at applicants on the opposong side of the poltical aisle.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2018, 03:04:36 AM »

I'd also add that I'm yet to hear anyone give a real explanation for why Scott is an unacceptable choice to (temporarily) represent Lincoln in the Assembly. The argument that he "has his hands full" in the Senate doesn't hold water; his term ends the day after tomorrow. Scott is far from a raging extremist or an empty suit for the Labor Party—he is one of our nation's most distinguished citizens, a dedicated public servant with impeccable credentials, one who has enjoyed bipartisan support throughout his long career. Until a few hours ago, I had never heard anyone suggest a vote for Scott was a vote for "generic Labor" or "putting party interests before the country," and I'm a somewhat baffled that this seems to be the narrative. I do wonder what it is imagined Scott will do in the course of this next week that will constitute so hideous a rebuke of the will of the people that his nomination must be opposed simply because he is a Laborite.

Perhaps the leviers of these criticisms were unaware that the appointment made was temporary only, in which case I can sort-of see where they're coming from—though I'd argue this is one more example of the importance of actually reading the constitution before jumping to conclusions. Tongue
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2018, 03:07:56 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2018, 03:12:06 AM by Harry S Truman, GM »

I know at least 2 people, of which I have told lok about, who would be elated to be appointed to the assmbly. It is less an issue od scarcity of applicants and more an issue of not being willing to look at applicants on the opposong side of the poltical aisle.
I don't know what you and Lok talk about in private, though I'm afraid I don't see how it is that the governor is unwilling to "look at applicants on the opposing side of the political aisle" when you (a Federalist) are currently serving as his appointed Lt. Governor, and the poster who created this vacancy was himself appointed to this seat while a member of Citizens. Tilden, of course, was appointed to replace a Laborite—yet none raised concerns that this subverted the will of the people then.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2018, 03:22:31 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2018, 03:39:00 AM by Senator Scott🎄 »

Please allow me to say I can personally attest to the difficulty of selecting executive appointments in Lincoln, having advised the governor on these matters in the past.  Let me assure the President it is very difficult to find willing appointees for temporary vacancies in the region as a whole, much less within Labor itself.

My acceptance of this appointment is not a partisan power-grab.  Being a temporary Delegate to the Lincoln Assembly, and an outgoing member of the Atlasian Senate, I will not be introducing new legislation to either chamber between now and the seating of the next Delegate, after which I will once again be a humble citizen of the state of New Hampshire.  And I certainly plan on being a present Delegate until my successor is chosen; I will not be a candidate for the January 12th election.

I thank the governor for my appointment, and I accept.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2018, 03:54:10 AM »

I mean if you want to pretend Clyde or Griffin were even remotely active in Atlasia at the time of their appointments, by all means, keep drinking the kool-aid. And nice job putting on the blinders on that whole "no one else was an option", when there are several new folks running for Lincoln Assembly that would very likely have been more than happy to take on the position.

There's plenty of evidence in his own posts that the Governor was not completely truthful about his intent to maintain a bipartisan approach or commitment  to bringing back activity. People who are actually registered in the region have every right to question the Governor's motives, and it would mean much more for the Governor to defend himself rather than current and former Labor Party leaders (one of which is registered in Fremont, not Lincoln).
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2018, 03:58:12 AM »

People who are actually registered in the region have every right to question the Governor's motives, and it would mean much more for the Governor to defend himself rather than current and former Labor Party leaders (one of which is registered in Fremont, not Lincoln).
I never said they didn't. Not sure what my being registered in Fremont has anything to do with it
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2018, 05:14:32 PM »

After much consideration, I have decided to not run for relection.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2018, 05:25:57 PM »

Thank you Governor Lok for the time you took to serve this great region as both a assembly-person and Governor.  I wish you the best of success in both Atlasia and RL.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2018, 06:25:44 PM »

Thank you Governor Lok for the time you took to serve this great region as both a assembly-person and Governor.  I wish you the best of success in both Atlasia and RL.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2018, 12:12:28 AM »

Lok, I congratulate you on your Governorship of Lincoln.  It's sad that you're not running for re-election, but I understand your decision.

- Former Lincoln Lt.Gov and AM/Former Congressman JGibson (Lab-IL).
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2018, 03:31:34 AM »

I thank everyone who have sent me messages so very much. I very much appreciate it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2018, 04:15:06 PM »

Thank you for your service, Governor.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2018, 04:15:58 PM »

Thank you for your service, Governor.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2018, 05:36:45 PM »

At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2018, 05:37:32 PM »

Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2018, 05:38:24 PM »

Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2018, 05:42:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2018, 06:06:20 PM »

thank you, governor!
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2018, 11:13:26 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2018, 11:32:53 PM by Lincoln Governor Lok »

We now have the spot of Lincoln election administrator to fill in. I have decided to make Leinad the first administrator.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2018, 08:35:52 PM »

Governor, this bill has passed today and is awaiting your decision.

Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2018, 03:31:02 AM »

Governor, this bill has passed today and is awaiting your decision.

I'm proud to sign into law one of the biggest reforms to infrastructure for this region in recent history.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2018, 02:35:07 PM »

Governor Lok, unless you have funding for this bill, then I can’t figure out where the money’s coming from. As far as I’m aware, Lincoln has not passed a budget for any part of the current year. Correct?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2018, 08:28:06 PM »

A resolution is awaiting your signature, Governor Lok.

Continuing Budget Resolution

The November 2016-December 2017 budget shall be extended to February 15, 2018.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies