What is an ideological mix that is a surefire way to win an election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:11:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What is an ideological mix that is a surefire way to win an election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is an ideological mix that is a surefire way to win an election?  (Read 1250 times)
🕴🏼Melior🕴🏼
Melior
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2017, 10:45:35 PM »

I think he/she would look something like this:

Social Issues:
-Pro-life with the exceptions of rape, incest, or health of mother
-Pro-SSM
-Pro-marijuana decriminalization
-Pro-background checks, but anti-assault rifle ban and pro-2nd amendment.
-Believes that climate-change is real but completely ignores the issue while campaigning (since campaigning on combating climate-change might make one appear like a smug elitist).
-Pro-death penalty
- Centrist on immigration. Doesn't believe in open-borders, while not being a Trump-style extremist on the issue either.
- Pro-temporary Syrian-refugee ban, but strongly against Trump's Muslim ban.
- Downplays on social issues while campaigning and focuses mostly on economic issues.

Economic Issues:
-Strongly pro-minimum wage increases.
-Strongly against making any cuts to entitlements like Social Security.
-Supports expanding Social Security and Medicare.
-Pro-Wall Street regulations
-Supports raising taxes on the rich and cutting taxes for those who aren't.
-Anti-free trade
-Anti-Obamacare, while supporting a plan to replace it.
-Pro-infrastructure spending

Basically as economically liberal as possible with the exceptions of supporting tax cuts for those who aren't wealthy. Being economically conservative is absolutely toxic. The only conservative economic position that is even remotely popular are tax cuts.

Foreign Policy
"Realist"

Other:
-A white male who grew up in rural America.

I think this would be the most electable candidate ever.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 11:00:20 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2017, 11:05:21 PM by El Justiño del Cubo »

Social Issues:
-Pro-life with the exceptions of rape, incest, or health of mother Pro-choice until around 12 weeks, then those exceptions
-Pro-SSM
-Pro-background checks, but anti-assault rifle ban and pro-2nd amendment. Also supports high capacity magazine ban
-Believes that climate-change is real but completely ignores the issue while campaigning (since campaigning on combating climate-change might make one appear like a smug elitist). and talks about the future we're leaving our grandkids and good-paying clean energy jobs. Campaigns on being pro-science and facts.
-"Let's get our asses to Mars before the Russians"

-Pro-death penalty Doesn't have a strong objection to the death penalty
- Centrist on immigration. Doesn't believe in open-borders, while not being a Trump-style extremist on the issue either.
- Pro-temporary Syrian-refugee ban extreme vetting*, but strongly against Trump's Muslim ban.
- Downplays on social issues while campaigning and focuses mostly on economic issues.

Economic Issues:
-Anti-free trade
-Anti-Obamacare, while supporting a plan to replace it. medicare-for-all. Doesn't frame it as a government takeover of healthcare, spins it as Medicaid expansion.

Basically as economically liberal as possible with the exceptions of supporting tax cuts for those who aren't wealthy. Being economically conservative is absolutely toxic. The only conservative economic position that is even remotely popular are tax cuts.

Foreign Policy
"Realist" Non-interventionist, "bring the troops home"

Other:
-A white male (stfu we almost elected an old probably atheistic Jew with bad posture, people don't care about that BS) who grew up in rural America.

*we already have extreme vetting but that's what people want to hear
AtorBoltox

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 11:11:53 PM »

-Believes that climate-change is real but completely ignores the issue while campaigning (since campaigning on combating climate-change might make one appear like a smug elitist).
This basically sums up everything wrong with America
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2017, 11:59:33 PM »

Being as vague as possible so that you can be everything to everybody, while also being clever and charismatic enough to not get caught.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 12:08:00 AM »

Social Issues:
-Pro-life with the exceptions of rape, incest, or health of mother Pro-choice until around 12 weeks, then those exceptions
-Pro-SSM
-Pro-background checks, but anti-assault rifle ban and pro-2nd amendment. Also supports high capacity magazine ban
-Believes that climate-change is real but completely ignores the issue while campaigning (since campaigning on combating climate-change might make one appear like a smug elitist). and talks about the future we're leaving our grandkids and good-paying clean energy jobs. Campaigns on being pro-science and facts.

- Pro-temporary Syrian-refugee ban extreme vetting*, but strongly against Trump's Muslim ban.

Economic Issues:
-Anti-free trade
-Anti-Obamacare, while supporting a plan to replace it. medicare-for-all. Doesn't frame it as a government takeover of healthcare, spins it as Medicaid expansion.

Foreign Policy

Other:
-A white male (stfu we almost elected an old probably atheistic Jew with bad posture, people don't care about that BS) who grew up in rural America.

-Sounds good (though I'm a fan of free trade and oppose universal healthcare).
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 12:17:16 AM »

Do absolutely nothing on policy except vague promises to do better. Spend the entire campaign and especially the presidency doing photo-ops and trips.
Eharding

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 12:30:44 AM »

Social Issues:
-Pro-SSM

Economic Issues:
-Anti-free trade

Foreign Policy

Other:

What is your opinion on gay marriage?  and social security?

-I'm against both, stronger against the second, though would be much more eager to quickly eliminate the first than the second. I am far more open to same-sex marriage than for a UBI, even if restricted to a certain age group.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 12:32:01 AM »

Social Issues:
-Pro-SSM

Economic Issues:
-Anti-free trade

Foreign Policy

Other:

-I'm against both, stronger against the second, though would be much more eager to quickly eliminate the first than the second. I am far more open to same-sex marriage than for a UBI, even if restricted to a certain age group.
lol I'll just admit right now that I have trouble respecting people who are against "the homos"
Eharding

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 12:36:39 AM »

Social Issues:
-Pro-SSM

Economic Issues:
-Anti-free trade

Foreign Policy

Other:

lol I'll just admit right now that I have trouble respecting people who are against "the homos"

-Hey; I'm not in favor of gay conversion therapy or what they do in Iran. Just not a fan of the social promotion of homosexuality or SSM (which anyone living 100 years ago would have thought nuts).
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 12:43:16 AM »

Social Issues:
-Pro-SSM

Economic Issues:
-Anti-free trade

Foreign Policy

Other:

-Hey; I'm not in favor of gay conversion therapy or what they do in Iran. Just not a fan of the social promotion of homosexuality or SSM (which anyone living 100 years ago would have thought nuts).
I don't think people are in favor of "promoting" being gay. I'm not in favor of promoting being straight either.
Eharding

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 12:45:35 AM »

Social Issues:
-Pro-SSM

Economic Issues:
-Anti-free trade

Foreign Policy

Other:

I don't think people are in favor of "promoting" being gay. I'm not in favor of promoting being straight either.

-Lots of Hollywood liberals are very much in favor of social promotion of homosexuality. I could promote being straight, but it'd be worthless (homosexuality is likely mostly caused by some pathogen; it's not something one can snap out of).
Eharding

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 12:51:49 AM »

Social Issues:
-Pro-SSM

Economic Issues:
-Anti-free trade

Foreign Policy

Other:

-Lots of Hollywood liberals are very much in favor of social promotion of homosexuality. I could promote being straight, but it'd be worthless (homosexuality is likely mostly caused by some pathogen; it's not something one can snap out of).

The vast majority of relationships in film and TV are straight relationships.  "Gay shows" are just noticed more because they are unique.  Hollywood does not promote a gay agenda, they promote whatever movie or show will sell the best and make them the most money.

-Does not explain the overrepresentation of films involving same-sex relationships at the Oscars.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 01:02:51 AM »

Social Issues:
-Pro-SSM

Economic Issues:
-Anti-free trade

Foreign Policy

Other:

The vast majority of relationships in film and TV are straight relationships.  "Gay shows" are just noticed more because they are unique.  Hollywood does not promote a gay agenda, they promote whatever movie or show will sell the best and make them the most money.

-Does not explain the overrepresentation of films involving same-sex relationships at the Oscars.

Because serious people care about the Oscars.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 01:13:16 AM »

Social Issues:
-Pro-SSM

Economic Issues:
-Anti-free trade

Foreign Policy

Other:

This actually looks pretty good, assuming the candidate is a Democrat. I don't think a candidate with the OP's stated positions could win a Democratic primary, which is half the battle.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 01:16:49 AM »

Social Issues:
-Pro-SSM

Economic Issues:
-Anti-free trade

Foreign Policy

Other:

This actually looks pretty good, assuming the candidate is a Democrat. I don't think a candidate with the OP's stated positions could win a Democratic primary, which is half the battle.

Well, obviously too left-wing for the establishment.
Eharding

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 01:17:39 AM »

Social Issues:
-Pro-SSM

Economic Issues:
-Anti-free trade

Foreign Policy

Other:

Well, obviously too left-wing for the establishment.

-Three thumbs up, because it's so true.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 02:01:58 AM »

I think this would be good for a Democrat:
1. Focuses on civil liberties
2. Talks about more extensive space program
3. Mention SSM more so than guns.
4. Talk about re-implementing Glass-Steagall and a transaction Wall Street tax.

Besides that, they should focus less on economics. Focusing on "diversity of thought and culture is encouraged by immigration" and talking more about SSM and abortion in early stages would allow for the broadest appeal. Ron Wyden/Hilda Solis, Tammy Baldwin, or Donna Edwards(if she's elected Governor or Senator in 2018).
SaneDemocrat

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 12:04:59 PM »

Jason Kander imo
Eharding

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 12:13:54 PM »

Dude didn't win his Senate race.
SaneDemocrat

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 12:17:07 PM »

in Mizzou, a deep Red state
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 12:37:59 PM »

He is basically a Paul Hackett type character. Maybe he succeeds.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »

An ignoramus on social issues who offers easy answers and free stuff.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »

Besides that, they should focus less on economics. Focusing on "diversity of thought and culture is encouraged by immigration" and talking more about SSM and abortion in early stages would allow for the broadest appeal. Ron Wyden/Hilda Solis, Tammy Baldwin, or Donna Edwards(if she's elected Governor or Senator in 2018).

I like those positions, but other than #4 that's mostly backwards advice that would make YOU more likely to vote Democratic, not the average person.  A populist strategy that deemphasizes cultural issues slightly and emphasizes broadly popular left-wing economic proposals is the way to go.

And really, the answer to this question, unfortunately, is that the surefire way to win an election is in large part due to personality and its synchronization with the mood of the country, not ideology
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 05:16:44 PM »

I like those positions, but other than #4 that's mostly backwards advice that would make YOU more likely to vote Democratic, not the average person.  A populist strategy that deemphasizes cultural issues slightly and emphasizes broadly popular left-wing economic proposals is the way to go.

And really, the answer to this question, unfortunately, is that the surefire way to win an election is in large part due to personality and its synchronization with the mood of the country, not ideology

It isn't really. Sure, I agree with parts of it, but a reinvigorated space program sounds like a popular idea but a bad idea to me.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 10:22:13 PM »

Regarding the death penalty, I think the old Clinton formulation on abortion of "safe, legal, and rare" would do the trick for the largest share of voters.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies