Politico: Cuomo wants to run as a reformer with results
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:12:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Politico: Cuomo wants to run as a reformer with results
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Politico: Cuomo wants to run as a reformer with results  (Read 4474 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2017, 02:08:55 AM »

You ensure free college tuition and a $15 min. wage for tens of millions and you're still called a hack by people who rally behind other politicians who comparatively have accomplished nothing at all but get a pass for their ineptitude because they're in that little exclusive group of people who are considered "true progressives." What a joke.

Like, I have nothing against Booker, Warren, Harris, Bernie, or virtually any of the prospective 2020 candidates, but there's like maybe a couple of them that can even come close to matching the impact Cuomo has had on people's actual lives. The importance of this can't be overstated. So, and I reaffirm I do not personally think he'd be a good candidate - largely because of the aforementioned scandals and corruption - it's not entirely outrageous for him to think about running or for others to suggest it. Clearly, voters are willing to overlook personal problems and scandals/allegations if they're convinced you can deliver results.

This is a serious reason why I would heavily consider voting for him. He gets stuff done.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2017, 03:58:45 AM »

Cuomo is assuredly "Candidate Most Likely to Drop Out Because of a Scandal" correct?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2017, 05:57:03 AM »

Cuomo is assuredly "Candidate Most Likely to Drop Out Because of a Scandal" correct?

McAuliffe is also a contender:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/politics/terry-mcauliffe-fbi-doj-federal-investigation-campaign-contributions/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/clinton-ally-aids-campaign-of-fbi-officials-wife-1477266114
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2017, 07:08:43 AM »

I guess we can say hello to 8 years of President Trump...

A guy who is probably going to drop out after coming in 5th in Iowa will do,that?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2017, 11:46:41 AM »

Which possible presidential candidates do you trust to care about the party? Just wondering.

Anyway, I still think Cuomo would be a very competent president who would get a lot of progressive legislation passed (especially with the coming Republican implosion...). I think Cuomo and Booker get a lot more hate than they deserve.

The only 2 presidential prospects I've ever really trusted is Sanders and Warren, although I did believe for other misc reasons Clinton would do some things others might not have bought into.

You ensure free college tuition and a $15 min. wage for tens of millions and you're still called a hack by people who rally behind other politicians who comparatively have accomplished nothing at all but get a pass for their ineptitude because they're in that little exclusive group of people who are considered "true progressives." What a joke.

Personally I don't really care what he has done, because Congressional Republicans are not going to act like New York State Senate Republicans. There won't be any deals that only someone like Cuomo could make, or if there would be, I'd really have to see it to believe it. That's why it doesn't matter that much to me. Most of all though, I can't trust him. I'd vote for him in a GE but in the primary I'm avoiding another self-serving opportunist this time around. I want someone who actually convinces me they believe in what they say, and can be trusted to be a proper steward of the party.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2017, 07:03:59 PM »

Like, I have nothing against Booker, Warren, Harris, Bernie, or virtually any of the prospective 2020 candidates, but there's like maybe a couple of them that can even come close to matching the impact Cuomo has had on people's actual lives. The importance of this can't be overstated. So, and I reaffirm I do not personally think he'd be a good candidate - largely because of the aforementioned scandals and corruption - it's not entirely outrageous for him to think about running or for others to suggest it. Clearly, voters are willing to overlook personal problems and scandals/allegations if they're convinced you can deliver results.

Andrew Cuomo lost 900,000 votes between the 2010 and 2014 races.  That doesn't happen because of the "far left."  It happened because teachers unions, labor unions, and civil service unions were fed up with constantly getting screwed by Cuomo's policies.  Those aren't the far left, but some of the most traditional democratic voters.  Cuomo's prancing around with Dean Skelos and his merry band of GOP goons in the NY state senate meant cuts to education that cost thousands of jobs for teachers and many other people.  This is the same guy who when asked about 911 response units not getting enough funding to save people's lives, he said something to the effect of "why are you asking me this?"  He doesn't care about campaign finance or electoral reform, and he closed down the Moreland commission investigating public corruption when everyone is always saying we need to "clean up Albany."  I'm glad that we have a higher minimum wage now and "free college" but where was Cuomo for six years before any of those things started happening, and why should we trust President Cuomo to be the guy of the past few months and not the guy of... well pretty much his entire public career before that?  And that's not even getting into how presidential elections are really more about personality than actual accomplishments.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2017, 10:24:23 AM »

I don't hate Cuomo but after the God awful way he has handled the LIRR he shouldn't bother
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2017, 11:28:44 AM »

Governing magazine has a new story on Cuomo’s strained relationship with the party base:

http://www.governing.com/topics/politics/gov-cuomo-new-york-governor-progressives.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2017, 11:46:37 AM »

I don't hate Cuomo but after the God awful way he has handled the LIRR he shouldn't bother

As someone who is quite familiar with the LIRR and has commuted on it in the past when I worked Downtown, I don't see how Cuomo is at fault for the LIRR issues
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2017, 11:47:57 AM »

I just don't see Cuomo even getting through the Iowa caucus. By then, his scandals would become common knowledge, and the Bernie bros would jump all over him for enabling the New York State Senate IDC goons.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »

The d[inks]less Governor of New York who enables the GOP to control the NY Senate through the IDC. Yeah, a real "progressive".
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2017, 08:15:43 AM »

Cuomo's job approval in New York is on the downswing again:

https://poll.qu.edu/new-york-state/release-detail?ReleaseID=2472

approve 46%
disapprove 38%

Meanwhile, Gillibrand is approve 50%, disapprove 23%.

Also, Cuomo doesn't want to talk about Don Jr., saying he doesn't know the facts:

http://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2017/07/11/cuomo-says-2020-talk-is-speculation-hasnt-read-about-donald-trump-jr-113328

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2017, 09:55:33 AM »

I don't hate the guy, but NOBODY is going to get fired up for him.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2017, 09:30:44 PM »

I’m sorry, but I couldn’t resist using the “reformer with results” slogan in the subject line.  (Most of you are probably too young to get the reference.)
I wasn't alive, but it was a slogan for George W. Bush's 2000 presidential campaign, correct?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2017, 09:36:24 PM »

I’m sorry, but I couldn’t resist using the “reformer with results” slogan in the subject line.  (Most of you are probably too young to get the reference.)
I wasn't alive, but it was a slogan for George W. Bush's 2000 presidential campaign, correct?

Yes.  During the 2000 primaries, McCain tended to use the word "reform" a lot, so Bush countered by saying that he was a "reformer with results".  The implication being that as a governor, he could actually get things done, unlike the dysfunctional Congress that McCain was a part of.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2017, 10:32:54 PM »

Yes.  During the 2000 primaries, McCain tended to use the word "reform" a lot, so Bush countered by saying that he was a "reformer with results".  The implication being that as a governor, he could actually get things done, unlike the dysfunctional Congress that McCain was a part of.

Looking back on it, the Congress of the mid to late 1990s(1997-2001) saw the most legislation and reform passed of any Congress since.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2017, 06:31:21 AM »

Like, I have nothing against Booker, Warren, Harris, Bernie, or virtually any of the prospective 2020 candidates, but there's like maybe a couple of them that can even come close to matching the impact Cuomo has had on people's actual lives. The importance of this can't be overstated.

Pre-presidency Hoover had more impact on people's lives than pre-presidency TR. Which of them was the better president?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2017, 11:21:02 AM »

The New Republic has a new story on Cuomo’s strained relationship with progressives in New York:

https://newrepublic.com/article/143869/andrew-cuomo-keeps-left-check
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies