President Trump's First Address to Congress **live commentary thread**
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:56:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  President Trump's First Address to Congress **live commentary thread**
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: President Trump's First Address to Congress **live commentary thread**  (Read 9006 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2017, 11:28:39 PM »

can we stop judging Trump as a fringe candidate or as an outsider anymore? he's president now.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2017, 11:29:05 PM »

We've figured out his real secret sauce.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2017, 11:29:08 PM »

CNN/ORC poll who watched the speech:
Reaction:

57% very positive
21% somewhat positive
21% negative

78% positive - 21% negative

69% right direction with policies
29% wrong direction

Did Trump speech make you feel:
69% more optimistic
29% less optimistic
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2017, 11:29:58 PM »

It appears he knocked it out of the park.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2017, 11:30:51 PM »

can we stop judging Trump as a fringe candidate or as an outsider anymore? he's president now.

I agree. As much as Democrats want to avoid normalizing Trump, being considered "normal" is basically his kryptonite. If he just becomes "generic rich president dude," he loses a lot of his appeal.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2017, 11:31:28 PM »

Apparently more people saw this speech positively than they did for Obama's first speech in 2009.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2017, 11:36:19 PM »

trump is president but besides the real power, his general attitude - if not held on a string like today - is that of a 10-year old forced to go to church.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2017, 11:36:56 PM »

(consider who watched and who didn't watch the speech)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2017, 11:37:47 PM »

I also didn't think Steve Beshear's speech was that bad *shrugs shoulders*
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2017, 11:40:04 PM »

I also didn't think Steve Beshear's speech was that bad *shrugs shoulders*

it wasn't bad i just wasn't narrowed down for the people who are going to - grudgingly - vote democratic anyway, but those who really could go either way.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2017, 11:40:35 PM »

I watched the speech, and I think President Trump did a very good job. All of the policy proposals he laid out I agree with, and they contain agenda items which I think will move this country forward. The behavior of the Democrats in that chamber was absolutely despicable, and they certainly did themselves no favors with the electorate, acting that way. The speech raised my confidence in what lies ahead, and it lowered my opinion of the Democrats.
Trapsy

« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2017, 11:41:44 PM »

2020 Sanders/Harris
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2017, 11:45:51 PM »

I watched the speech, and I think President Trump did a very good job. All of the policy proposals he laid out I agree with, and they contain agenda items which I think will move this country forward. The behavior of the Democrats in that chamber was absolutely despicable, and they certainly did themselves no favors with the electorate, acting that way. The speech raised my confidence in what lies ahead, and it lowered my opinion of the Democrats.
How the dems act was bad? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qgce06Yw2ro
m4567
Rookie
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2017, 11:46:18 PM »

Tom Perez has some funny responses on MSNBC.
Trapsy

« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2017, 11:47:57 PM »

wait what did they do that was so despicable?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2017, 11:50:08 PM »

Clearing out of the chamber so fast, the "wearing white" gesture, the stubbornness, and a number of other things. Also, I am well aware of what happened in 2009 to President Obama. For me, displays of partisanship by either side are unacceptable, but an unfortunate reflection of our polarization. The Democrats should have at least put on the appearance of some conciliation.

Also, by inviting illegal immigrants to the hall, they once again displayed their lack of interest in our nation's true border security.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #116 on: February 28, 2017, 11:50:13 PM »

Apparently more people saw this speech positively than they did for Obama's first speech in 2009.

I'm surprised; I would have thought there'd be enough anti-Trump folks who would have a negative opinion of anything he said. I guess they just didn't watch it.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2017, 11:57:42 PM »

I'm surprised; I would have thought there'd be enough anti-Trump folks who would have a negative opinion of anything he said. I guess they just didn't watch it.

since i am not assuming, i can believe even one word coming out of his mouth, being 1) his own line of thinking and 2) something he is going to fight for in congress, his speeches don't really got any power for me.....
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2017, 12:03:05 AM »

Clearing out of the chamber so fast, the "wearing white" gesture, the stubbornness, and a number of other things. Also, I am well aware of what happened in 2009 to President Obama. For me, displays of partisanship by either side are unacceptable, but an unfortunate reflection of our polarization. The Democrats should have at least put on the appearance of some conciliation.

Also, by inviting illegal immigrants to the hall, they once again displayed their lack of interest in our nation's true border security.

Republicans in Congress have been on TV praising the civility of Democrats, saying it offers hope for some bipartisanship.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2017, 12:04:02 AM »

These ratings look like the ones he got during, you guessed it, the Republican National Convention.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2017, 12:04:39 AM »

Republicans in Congress have been on TV praising the civility of Democrats, saying it offers hope for some bipartisanship.

It wasn't civil to me.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2017, 12:06:30 AM »

The party of "You Lie!" can literally shut up.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2017, 12:09:44 AM »

welll, i figure the voices of those, who would need to work with dems to make trump's possible wishlist a reality are more important for that matter.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2017, 12:23:58 AM »

another seemingly not-so-big-fan.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2017, 07:38:38 AM »

I doubt that SEAL's father agrees. He explicitly refused Trump a chance for a shameless photo op with him when they were both at Dover for the arrival of his son's remains. Being in the military doesn't automatically make one a Republican.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies