President Trump's First Address to Congress **live commentary thread** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:02:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  President Trump's First Address to Congress **live commentary thread** (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: President Trump's First Address to Congress **live commentary thread**  (Read 9029 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 28, 2017, 11:50:13 PM »

Apparently more people saw this speech positively than they did for Obama's first speech in 2009.

I'm surprised; I would have thought there'd be enough anti-Trump folks who would have a negative opinion of anything he said. I guess they just didn't watch it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 03:45:41 PM »

via robert costa:

Some sources in WH are frankly surprised at how pundits are warming to the speech. Say Trump has not changed, no big shift in policy coming.

lol

Beshear's response was...so-so. It was a nice sentiment, but a white bread, boring former solid GOP state Governor was a strange choice. Could've been worse though.

The choice suggested to me that the Democrats recognize that they need to make more of an effort to compete in Midwestern states where they are currently getting obliterated. Good news for them if so, but I think there were better strategic choices than Beshear.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:27:35 AM »

via robert costa:

Some sources in WH are frankly surprised at how pundits are warming to the speech. Say Trump has not changed, no big shift in policy coming.

lol

Beshear's response was...so-so. It was a nice sentiment, but a white bread, boring former solid GOP state Governor was a strange choice. Could've been worse though.

The choice suggested to me that the Democrats recognize that they need to make more of an effort to compete in Midwestern states where they are currently getting obliterated. Good news for them if so, but I think there were better strategic choices than Beshear.

Like who?

Someone from, say, Missouri or Ohio. A state where Dems can really compete. Other than Governor Kentucky is likely a dead letter for them. It teases, but denies.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies