EC supporters: Do you think any other place should have an "electoral college"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:23:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  EC supporters: Do you think any other place should have an "electoral college"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: EC supporters: Do you think any other place should have an "electoral college"?  (Read 11310 times)
Nichlemn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2017, 03:22:30 AM »

Should France give electoral votes to each of its regions to elect its President? Should California give electoral votes to each of its counties to elect its Governor? If not, what makes the US federal government unique among all polities in the world that means an electoral college is optimal for it, but nowhere else?

(Basically, it's my view that there's an enormous status quo bias for why people justify the Electoral College. If it didn't exist, there would be absolutely zero push to change to it. I think the fact that every other election seems to work fine it without it is strong evidence that the US Presidency would be fine, too).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 03:43:44 AM »

I think states should have the right to do so, just like I think they should have the right to base their State Senates on counties as well.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »

I think it would work well in other extremely polarized countries. Ukraine comes to mind
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 10:52:10 AM »

I think states should have the right to do so, just like I think they should have the right to base their State Senates on counties as well.

The question was whether they should, not whether they have the right to.

I think it would work well in other extremely polarized countries. Ukraine comes to mind

How would this improve Ukrainian politics?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 04:09:14 PM »

It really would work in a country as geographically, demographically, politically, and culturally diverse and encompassing as our own. The Electoral College system is a uniquely American brand. I really can't see it being practiced anywhere else successfully in the world at this point.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »

The question was whether they should, not whether they have the right to.

How would this improve Ukrainian politics?

It would be an absolute disaster in Ukraine, and make the existing East/West divide there even worse. If anything, what Ukraine needs is devolution and federalism.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 10:59:53 PM »

An electoral college would help in the Philippines too. Duterte would've never been President today if something like an EC was set up there.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 12:55:22 PM »

It really would work in a country as geographically, demographically, politically, and culturally diverse and encompassing as our own. The Electoral College system is a uniquely American brand. I really can't see it being practiced anywhere else successfully in the world at this point.

Corrected.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 05:22:29 PM »

An electoral college would help in the Philippines too. Duterte would've never been President today if something like an EC was set up there.

Or just IRV....
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 07:12:58 PM »

In nations with no or little history of federalism then an electoral college would make almost no sense, but in the U.S. with our ConFenderal system it makes sense. I could see it used in China if they ever shifted to a U.S. style system where the rural inland parts were somewhat over-represented in an E.C. to protect their voices from drowned out by the coastal cities and Beijing, like how states such as Wyoming are over represented with the bare minimum at the expense of California. I could also see it working in less centralized countries like Switzerland.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 08:05:25 PM »

The 50 state governments and France (the two places mentioned by OP) are both examples of unitary governments, whereas an electoral college makes sense in a federal system.

In fact, very few democratic countries elect their chief executives directly.  The UK, Germany, Sweden, Japan, India all use parliamentary systems which, I would argue, is far more of an affront to democracy than the electoral college.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 09:39:54 PM »

a system without up to 40% of "lost" votes and without creating majorities out of numeric minorities can never be less democratic.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 03:25:50 AM »

The 50 state governments and France (the two places mentioned by OP) are both examples of unitary governments, whereas an electoral college makes sense in a federal system.

In fact, very few democratic countries elect their chief executives directly.  The UK, Germany, Sweden, Japan, India all use parliamentary systems which, I would argue, is far more of an affront to democracy than the electoral college.
Care to explain why you think that?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 10:53:20 AM »

Care to explain why you think that?

Voters do not directly vote for their chief executive.  They vote for an MP who then votes for a Prime Minister in parliament.  The electoral college is a more direct election process, and it at least allows voters to illustrate a preference for a split legislative/executive branch.

What is someone to do if they love their local MP but hate that party's leader/candidate for PM?  or vice-versa? 
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 10:58:47 AM »

But this is a better argument for direct election, not an electoral college.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 12:01:55 PM »

But this is a better argument for direct election, not an electoral college.

My point is that the United States is much like the rest of the world in that we do not directly elect a chief executive.  Its not like the electoral college makes our democracy suck compared to nations like the UK and Italy.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 02:22:30 PM »

What is someone to do if they love their local MP but hate that party's leader/candidate for PM?  or vice-versa? 

the option of vote-splitting is possible in some countries...you can vote for your "direct" candidate and for another party nationally.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 01:56:04 AM »

I think other places with a lot of really diverse geography/a lot of space and strong urban/rural divides would benefit from it. Other than Canada and Brazil though, the rest aren't *really * functional democracies (China, Russia) at the moment, sooooo.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 02:15:33 AM »

Only if they have legally-sanctioned slavery and/or no urban centers.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 11:43:30 PM »

The UK, Germany, Sweden, Japan, India all use parliamentary systems which, I would argue, is far more of an affront to democracy than the electoral college.

Well the winner of their elections usually wins the PV. So I wouldn't say it's not an affront to democracy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 03:48:39 PM »

The UK, Germany, Sweden, Japan, India all use parliamentary systems which, I would argue, is far more of an affront to democracy than the electoral college.

Well the winner of their elections usually wins the PV. So I wouldn't say it's not an affront to democracy.

The winner of our elections usually wins the PV. Parliamentary systems select the chief executive in a way that is very similar to the Electoral College.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 09:12:27 PM »

The winner of our elections usually wins the PV. Parliamentary systems select the chief executive in a way that is very similar to the Electoral College.

not at all.

1) johnson and stein didn't get any seats out of their millions of votes.

2) those non-seats also couldn't be transferred in the first place.

3) hillary won the a clear majority of those votes and wouldn't regularily need the non-existing other votes int he first place.

4) most of all, we are not killing anyone's vote just cause they are living in a federal state run by the opposite majority/living inside a city instead of a rural region.

over here, there is representation, the EC is a system which gives power only to the small minority living in tipping point states.

hillary would have won in a majority-vote system without the EC and in a represenative, parliamentary democracy - no contest.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2017, 09:40:02 PM »

not at all.

1) johnson and stein didn't get any seats out of their millions of votes.

2) those non-seats also couldn't be transferred in the first place.

3) hillary won the a clear majority of those votes and wouldn't regularily need the non-existing other votes int he first place.

4) most of all, we are not killing anyone's vote just cause they are living in a federal state run by the opposite majority/living inside a city instead of a rural region.

over here, there is representation, the EC is a system which gives power only to the small minority living in tipping point states.

hillary would have won in a majority-vote system without the EC and in a represenative, parliamentary democracy - no contest.

If the US was divided into UK style constituencies with FPTP, it's not at all clear that Hillary would have won in parliament. She would still have too many votes overconcentrated in urban seats.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2017, 09:44:46 PM »

If the US was divided into UK style constituencies with FPTP, it's not at all clear that Hillary would have won in parliament. She would still have too many votes overconcentrated in urban seats.

depends on gerrymandering and the construction of the system, but i think you are up to something there.

anyway, ofc i respect the EC since the US could have changed it anytime and came close to it a few decades ago...it's just frustrating if some people are calling it more..."democratic".
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 10:20:41 PM »

depends on gerrymandering and the construction of the system, but i think you are up to something there.

anyway, ofc i respect the EC since the US could have changed it anytime and came close to it a few decades ago...it's just frustrating if some people are calling it more..."democratic".

Trump won 230 CDs to 206 for Clinton (including DC). I might assume that all the CDs drawn by independent commissions and the courts are about what the UK commission might draw. That leaves the states subject to a partisan gerrymander. Some of the suburban Pub seats in those states went for Clinton anyway (eg. PA 6,7), so there's no need to un-gerrymander them. That leaves me looking at roughly 8 or 9 CDs that might have been drawn by a neutral body that would increase Hillary's count. That would still leave Trump with a parliamentary majority.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies