What happens if Trump/Republicans keep winning while losing the PV? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:02:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  What happens if Trump/Republicans keep winning while losing the PV? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What happens if Trump/Republicans keep winning while losing the PV?  (Read 13355 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: June 09, 2017, 02:17:57 PM »

I actually agree that this situation would likely see Democrats start pushing for some various things to game the system, like splitting up California or trying to admit Puerto Rico as a state, for transparently partisan reasons.

At this point, I'm all for Democrats admitting Puerto Rico, and I'd hope, DC, for transparently partisan reasons, not necessarily for the political benefits but rather for the fact that partisan hackery is the best chance these regions have at getting proper representation. I'm not sure if I can say this for PR, but at least for DC the resistance to statehood or at least 2 Senators/1 Rep are themselves transparently partisan, so I feel no shame in my position.

I'm not sure about California - I do think it should probably be at least 2 states, but that's really up to them. I'd have to think that, regardless of what Democrats want to do in a shameless reach for power, something like splitting up CA wouldn't be possible without significant popular support.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 10:05:24 PM »

Does anything significant happen if the Democrats win the House PV in 2018 by a *lot* (5+ points and over 50%), yet still fail to take the House?

Obviously, there'd be an initial burst of complaints that don't lead to anything. But does it produce significant effects on grassroots support for electoral reform?

It may add fuel to gerrymandering reform efforts in states with ballot initiatives. Michigan, Missouri and Arkansas could see one, although I think Michigan is going to get one either way. Florida also needs redistricting commission amendments for the 2020 ballot, as the 2010 FD amendments require a state judiciary that will actually enforce them, and Rick Scott is already claiming he has the power to replace the 3 retiring Democratic state supreme court justices (re: he doesn't, which is why the GOP tried to pass an amendment allowing it, but failed).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies