New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:43:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials.  (Read 12494 times)
henster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2017, 09:39:32 PM »

This is from the CCES survey, exit poll had Trump winning white millennials 47-43 with no gender breakdown.

https://decisiondeskhq.com/data-dives/how-the-2016-vote-broke-down-by-race-gender-and-age/
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 09:44:45 PM »

If you look at the individual state polls CNN did, it doesn't line up. Trump won white males of all ages.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 10:02:03 PM »

30-35 is still in the Millennial area.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 11:00:19 PM »

If those numbers are correct the GOP will need to start making real efforts with minorities within the next 5 years.  Those numbers aren't sustainable long term.

Even if we just assumed that all constituencies remained static and old whites are being replaced by less conservative whites... that would be enough to cause the GOP problems... then you factor in the notion that the minority population is growing and it becomes implausible to continue this.

As others have stated, young whites are almost exclusively neo-Nazi/alt-right. The country will be voting like Mississippi and Alabama in 50 years.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 11:27:44 PM »

I don't know; there are some big differences here. If these numbers were more accurate, then I'd agree the GOP really needs to reevaluate and find a way to make themselves more appealing to new voters, but then again they absolutely need to do this anyway, so it would only be a matter of priority. Either way, I'm not sure I buy the idea that Clinton actually won white Millennials by that much, or even at all.

Millennial turnout was 30% and Trump barely managed to win half with a pretty big part going to third parties

Turnout measured how, though? I recall reading on CivicYouth that 18-29 turnout was on par with 2012. Contrary to what many articles have stated, youth turnout actually wasn't that bad - that is, unless you think 2012 was bad (relatively speaking)

Politics doesn't matter in the long term. That's the problem with you Democrats, you're thinking about the fourth quarter so much, you don't realize that you're running back sucks and he just dropped the ball.

Noooo. Politics in the long term does matter! The electorate isn't totally static and does fluctuate as major events occur spontaneously or over time, but there are structural changes that tend to benefit one party over the other long-term and it is in the each party's interests to try and shape the future for themselves. One big problem the GOP has had is its obsession with trading long-term viability for short-term wins. It's the political equivalent of pawning all your stuff for some quick cash. Sure, you have money now, but eventually that will run out and you are left in dire straights. The GOP could have built a sunny future for itself had it worked harder to appeal to young voters and prove to them that the stereotypes are wrong, but it seems like every day, the actions of party members only serve to reinforce its poisoned image.

You can say what you will about GOP power right now; they are undoubtedly the nation's current majority party in terms of raw political power, but looking back at history, Democrats in 1992 looked quite dominant themselves, only to see their party implode and lose power at the federal and state level for decades. The fact is, long-term changes to electorate matter and winning a bunch of elections under favorable conditions can trick a party into thinking that everything is rosy when in reality it is rotting from the inside.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 12:11:06 AM »

Are you guys trolling with the "gen z are nazis" thing or are you serious?Huh
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 12:38:56 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2017, 12:41:13 AM by Virginia »

I dunno, maybe. Personally I'm not going to even begin drawing conclusions on this (save for a default opinion, which is an iffy extension of Millennials given basic demographics) until we get some actual voting data for them in 2018 and/or 2020. Even if they are somewhat more conservative now, it doesn't mean they will stay that way. The 18 - 25 age group is a time of partisan malleability and these people could end up changing their minds on various issues/politicians. Or, the polls end up being wrong. Given how diverse Z will be, it's hard for me to take seriously any idea that it will be a Republican-heavy generation given that the GOP has not only made no efforts to reach out but at times seem to be actively working to repel such voters.

Just going to have to wait and see.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 01:40:01 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2017, 01:43:29 AM by NJ is Better than TX »

I'm not really trolling. I'm close enough to almost being Gen Z (born in 96')

Here's some signs:
http://hispanicheritage.org/50000-generation-z-high-school-students-identify-republican/
http://www.lifezette.com/polizette/poll-trump-dominates-with-generation-z/

Now it's entirely possible these kids are conservative because they love the Tea Party, Paul Ryan, and George W. Bush...but we all know that's not the reason why they're conservative. A decent chunk of them are just adopting their parents beliefs but the rest are into the whole alt right crowd to one extent or another. Maybe it's just the softer aspects of nationalism and right wing populism that they like, but a decent chunk are probably super racist from having spent too much time on the more racist and edgy parts of the web.

They've completely shifted the dialogue on internet comment sections. Conservatives use to just be old fuddy duddies repeating Tea Party talking points and they were in the minority. Now the majority consensus is that right wing populism is normal and standard. All other opinions that are even slightly more left wing are deemed to have come from cucks.

Lifegazette is a legit fake news site run by a Fox News anchor and that second poll had half of the kids saying "I wouldn't vote in this election" making it hard to come to a conclusion other than young kids dont know much about politics or havent formed an opinion yet.

The poll says Trump won 48% of the white vote but lost all other minorities by large margins. Only problem with that is, Generation Z is by some estimates 50% made up of minorities like blacks, Asians, Hispanics.

If the best Trump could do was 48% of the Gen Z white vote in a demographic cohort in which half the kids are minorities then the GOP is done unless some radical shift happens in how the GOP is run.

I'm a millennial and I've never met a Gen Zer who didn't seem off the charts Liberal and some of the few Gen Z Republicans I know couldnt care less about which bathroom a trans person uses or if someone is gay

Fair enough. Although my limited experiences with teenage white kids in the Orange County suburbs backs up what I've read. They're anti SJW, anti PC, like Trump (or at the very least his rhetoric) and think being edgy and telling racist jokes is cool.

The fact that this generation will be incredibly diverse is both a good and bad thing. It's good because it'll keep the generation from being too Republican, but it's bad because if this kind of rhetoric begins to heat up this generation will start voting strongly on racial/ethnic lines. Racial dialogue will become increasingly partisan with these kids.

I support this notion. Trumpsim and alt-rightism has become quite the thing with some of my white male friends from high school (and a few PoC friends even). Meanwhile of the business GOPers and fiscially conservative Dems I know most of them are actually Indian-Americans.

This is the main reason why I'm skeptical that your TL, where Dems attract the WWC by focusing on economic issues, will ever coming to pass. It can happen, but the continuing trends of party lines being defined by culture and race, not economics, suggest otherwise. This will only continue to get worse as America becomes more majority-minority and many white males perceive that their relative standing in society declines.  

The Internet, with its normalization of racial "jokes" (and by "jokes" I mean "memes that build up in cancerousness as they suck young white males into the rabbit hole of hate") and its amplification of the voices of the alt-right, has made things worse. Gone were the days when the Internet was a liberal domain. Today it is a conservative one, and a racially conservative one at that.

I fear a future where racist and xenophobic whites, even if they can't match other blocs in terms of sheer numbers, will form a dangerous and destabilizing element in our society, and that America's original sin of racism will be the force that spells the doom of the great American experiment.

I hope this doesn't happen, either by Trump sinking to GWB levels of unpopularity or a miracle politician (like your Cordary) providing an alternative message, a politician who speaks to those who would otherwise fall to the forces of the alt-right. But I'm not holding my breath.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 01:49:03 AM »

This poll seems questionable, but it will probably give Democrats false hope that they can continue going "muh demographics" and insulting everyone who doesn't vote for their sh**tty candidate.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 02:37:06 AM »

Here's some signs:
http://hispanicheritage.org/50000-generation-z-high-school-students-identify-republican/

Now it's entirely possible these kids are conservative because they love the Tea Party, Paul Ryan, and George W. Bush...but we all know that's not the reason why they're conservative. A decent chunk of them are just adopting their parents beliefs but the rest are into the whole alt right crowd to one extent or another. Maybe it's just the softer aspects of nationalism and right wing populism that they like, but a decent chunk are probably super racist from having spent too much time on the more racist and edgy parts of the web.

They've completely shifted the dialogue on internet comment sections. Conservatives use to just be old fuddy duddies repeating Tea Party talking points and they were in the minority. Now the majority consensus is that right wing populism is normal and standard. All other opinions that are even slightly more left wing are deemed to have come from cucks.

Lifegazette is a legit fake news site run by a Fox News anchor and that second poll had half of the kids saying "I wouldn't vote in this election" making it hard to come to a conclusion other than young kids dont know much about politics or havent formed an opinion yet.

The poll says Trump won 48% of the white vote but lost all other minorities by large margins. Only problem with that is, Generation Z is by some estimates 50% made up of minorities like blacks, Asians, Hispanics.

If the best Trump could do was 48% of the Gen Z white vote in a demographic cohort in which half the kids are minorities then the GOP is done unless some radical shift happens in how the GOP is run.

I'm a millennial and I've never met a Gen Zer who didn't seem off the charts Liberal and some of the few Gen Z Republicans I know couldnt care less about which bathroom a trans person uses or if someone is gay

Fair enough. Although my limited experiences with teenage white kids in the Orange County suburbs backs up what I've read. They're anti SJW, anti PC, like Trump (or at the very least his rhetoric) and think being edgy and telling racist jokes is cool.

The fact that this generation will be incredibly diverse is both a good and bad thing. It's good because it'll keep the generation from being too Republican, but it's bad because if this kind of rhetoric begins to heat up this generation will start voting strongly on racial/ethnic lines. Racial dialogue will become increasingly partisan with these kids.

I support this notion. Trumpsim and alt-rightism has become quite the thing with some of my white male friends from high school (and a few PoC friends even). Meanwhile of the business GOPers and fiscially conservative Dems I know most of them are actually Indian-Americans.

This is the main reason why I'm skeptical that your TL, where Dems attract the WWC by focusing on economic issues, will ever coming to pass. It can happen, but the continuing trends of party lines being defined by culture and race, not economics, suggest otherwise. This will only continue to get worse as America becomes more majority-minority and many white males perceive that their relative standing in society declines.  

The Internet, with its normalization of racial "jokes" (and by "jokes" I mean "memes that build up in cancerousness as they suck young white males into the rabbit hole of hate") and its amplification of the voices of the alt-right, has made things worse. Gone were the days when the Internet was a liberal domain. Today it is a conservative one, and a racially conservative one at that.

I fear a future where racist and xenophobic whites, even if they can't match other blocs in terms of sheer numbers, will form a dangerous and destabilizing element in our society, and that America's original sin of racism will be the force that spells the doom of the great American experiment.

I hope this doesn't happen, either by Trump sinking to GWB levels of unpopularity or a miracle politician (like your Cordary) providing an alternative message, a politician who speaks to those who would otherwise fall to the forces of the alt-right. But I'm not holding my breath.

So social media is the doom of civilization. Why am I not surprised?
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 02:45:40 AM »

From my experience Generation Z were overwhelming pro-trump, even if their parents were for Clinton.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 07:47:22 AM »

Some of Trump's most passionate supporters were marching against the Vietnam War during their youths, were they not?
I Won - Get Over It
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 08:57:10 AM »

Some of Trump's most passionate supporters were marching against the Vietnam War during their youths, were they not?

Good point.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 08:58:16 AM »

I think the whole "Generation Z are Neo-Nazis" notion seem only applicable to young white boys. Most young people are apathetic or not very interested about politics in my own experience, so those 4chan and /thedonald users are probably very much a vocal minority.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 09:25:20 AM »

Were they though? Or were they the ones who just shut up and didn't care.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 09:32:35 AM »
« Edited: March 09, 2017, 09:39:41 AM by Tintrlvr »

30-35 is still in the Millennial area.

36 is still millenial by the traditional definition (born 1980-1999).

A small number, maybe. But, despite the perceived "radicalism" of that era, young voters in the 60s and 70s voted about the same as their parents.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 11:54:08 AM »

It amusing how Millennials are already hating the next generation, just like every generation before them.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 12:01:34 PM »

It amusing how Millennials are already hating the next generation, just like every generation before them.

When the next generation are literally Nazis it doesn't seem too strange to me.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 12:03:28 PM »

lol
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 12:41:15 PM »

Still better than the millennials who will never grow up to be worth anything as long as they live because they are completely useless
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 01:05:04 PM »

Older generations call us entitled then turn a blind eye to their Nazi grandchildren because they support Trump.

Looks like Gen Z will carry their grandparents boomer/silent torch of racism and xenophobia. Hope they're happy about the little demons they've created.

I realize this is nitpicking and hardly the most ridiculous part of your post, but aren't the baby boomers on the whole more liberal than the Silent Generation or Gen X?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 01:09:07 PM »

Still better than the millennials who will never grow up to be worth anything as long as they live because they are completely useless

Both are better than a poster praising nazis and claiming to be tolerant left.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 03:38:29 PM »

Both are better than a poster praising nazis and claiming to be tolerant left.

When do I praise Nazis? A generation can't be defined as "Nazis"
Hydera

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2017, 03:52:58 PM »

Here's some signs:

People made jokes about racist Xbox playing kids in 2008-2014. A lot of those kids are going to grow up not changing their stance. Also the then conservatives were economic libertarians and socially conservative. With the altright it shows that many younger conservatives might not necessarily agree with economic conservatism or religious fundamentalism. But a regressive view on race in america is enough for them to identify with conservatives even if they disagree on social and economic policy.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »

If those numbers are correct the GOP will need to start making real efforts with minorities within the next 5 years.  Those numbers aren't sustainable long term.

Even if we just assumed that all constituencies remained static and old whites are being replaced by less conservative whites... that would be enough to cause the GOP problems... then you factor in the notion that the minority population is growing and it becomes implausible to continue this.

As others have stated, young whites are almost exclusively neo-Nazi/alt-right. The country will be voting like Mississippi and Alabama in 50 years.

Holy.  .

That was the dumbest thing I have read in a long time.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies