New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:13:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials.  (Read 12519 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2017, 11:52:12 AM »

Okay as a member of Generation Z  I think that we are definitely more conservatives then Millennials we hate sjw's safe spaces etc but from what i've seen most of us are Fiscally conservative and Socially liberal I think that our generation will like people in the center

Truly the most relevant and important issues of our time obviously. Especially in regards to presidential elections.

I was into the PC backlash thing around 2014/early 2015 but at this point it's just another form of PC. So people are annoying on Twitter whining about microagressions, get over it. There are way worse/more important things happening in the world right now. I've moved on.

Kind of hilarious how some here think once Gen Z are paying off student loans and trying to start families and all that that their top priority is still going to be "triggering people on Tumblr" or whatever (assuming that's even the top priority for a majority NOW and that that sort of thing will even still be a thing then.)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2017, 12:21:05 PM »

You would think, given how generations often react against the one prior, that Gen Z would be far more supportive of Trump than they appear to be.

Isn't public opinion of the president at ages 18-20something also a huge determiner of political alignment? I remember reading that Baby Boomers who came of age during Watergate were significantly more Democratic-leaning than those who came before and after it.

Yes:

(Pew has more charts covering even longer time spans)

In all likelihood, Trump's presidency will probably continue a substantial pro-Democratic trend among young people, not only new ones but more importantly - older Millennials, those in their 20s, whose partisan ID is not quite locked yet. Susceptibility to change is probably best measured as peaking in the late teens - very early 20s and slowly going downhill over the next 20+ years. It's like this for all sorts of things, not just politics. Although as I stated in another thread, there is no ultimate guarantee they stay like this, and there are always a not-insignificant portion of people in every generation that are never really solid partisans.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2017, 05:57:21 PM »

Yes:

(Pew has more charts covering even longer time spans)

In all likelihood, Trump's presidency will probably continue a substantial pro-Democratic trend among young people, not only new ones but more importantly - older Millennials, those in their 20s, whose partisan ID is not quite locked yet. Susceptibility to change is probably best measured as peaking in the late teens - very early 20s and slowly going downhill over the next 20+ years. It's like this for all sorts of things, not just politics. Although as I stated in another thread, there is no ultimate guarantee they stay like this, and there are always a not-insignificant portion of people in every generation that are never really solid partisans.

This is pretty interesting. Are there charts that show how the votes went for the 2016 election for comparison? I would like to see how much more republican people trend as they get older.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2017, 07:12:49 PM »

This is pretty interesting. Are there charts that show how the votes went for the 2016 election for comparison? I would like to see how much more republican people trend as they get older.

Here is a good article on all of this, albeit outdated: http://www.people-press.org/2011/11/03/the-generation-gap-and-the-2012-election-3/

In 2016, the oldest voters (65+) trended Democratic quite a bit. They went from 56 - 44% Romney to 52 - 45% Clinton. This is probably due to the older Boomers, who grew up under Nixon, moving into the 65+ group (65 - 71). They have always been less Republican than the generation as a whole.

Here is a full chart from 2011:

As you can see, even those who grew up under FDR's administration still voted Democratic into their 70s/80s, although there might have been a little erosion over such a great length of time. That much is expected, as the parties did change a good bit over all that time, and the ones who were still alive in the 90s/2000s were those who grew up in the latter half of FDR/Truman, during WW2. Usually support erodes if a party holds the White House for a long time like that.

The biggest pro-Republican shifts among older voters came from the primary genx/boomer group: 45 - 64, which includes the older portion of generation X, and the younger Boomers, who are more Republican. The pro-R shift among 45-64 is probably due to those Boomers/genx'ers aging and thus voting more often, as well as the more Democratic older Boomers being measured in the 65+ age group.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2017, 01:51:30 AM »

Holy.  .

That was the dumbest thing I have read in a long time.

I wish I can agree with you, but the signs I've seen are very disconcerting.

With white women, I agree with you, since Trump and social conservatism has practically 0 support from the white women I know. It's the white (and some Asian) men who tend to go alt-right.

Of course, what I said so far is anecdotal, but we've already seen plenty of surveys on this forum that show (white male) Gen-Zers being pro-Trump. I'd love it if you could show otherwise (even if only to make me less fearful of the future).
Donald Trump won  60%+ of white woman with no college degree and you are telling me Trumpism does not have any support from white women.
It is hilarious to put blame only on white men for trumpism.
There are many decent young white males from generation z and there are many white females that supports trumpism.
You should not make any blanket statement.
A white man from generation z should not be automatically suspected as a racist.

Ah but you see lots of Trumpists post on sites frequented by teenagers, so it's quite obvious that the vast majority are Trumpists, it's perfectly sound statistics. Also I think it's pretty clear that the "leaders" of the next generation, the ones who'll be most active in politics and define and today's valedictorians and ones who'll be going to the Ivy League schools are currently posting on 4chan and other sites calling themselves "sh!tlords" and raving about "Kek" and how people they dislike are "cucks". Makes perfect sense to me.

Sounds like a Mike Judge movie.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2017, 11:56:12 AM »

ITT: 30 something's that never leave the house speculate on how hip racism is with the kids.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies