New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:58:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: New data suggests Hillary won white male/female millennials.  (Read 12505 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2017, 11:29:23 PM »

I didn't say all of Generation Z. I said 90% of the white ones. If the generation is 55% nonhispanic white that'll be just under 50% of the total number of generation z will be nazis Tongue

Again, internet movements, according to you, have a 75% success rate. And there's precedent for racist movements springing forth in societies. It ain't like we're in some post-racial society that'll never drift into another ethnostate.

I agree with TD, if neither party offers up good economic solutions and people keep suffering then people will keep voting on cultural and racial issues. And this will embolden the alt right even more.

Describing any of those as successful is such a ridiculous stretch. Obama withdrew from Iraq on the schedule proposed by the Iraqi government. Sanders did not win the Democratic Party nomination. It looks like the Republicans won't even get a real Obamacare repeal.

Also I thought you weren't serious about the 90% of white Gen Zers being Nazis? Make up your mind! But if you are, please explain how can statistically extrapolate 15k subscribers on a subreddit to 90% of an age bracket including people not born yet.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2017, 11:53:14 PM »

I didn't say all of Generation Z. I said 90% of the white ones. If the generation is 55% nonhispanic white that'll be just under 50% of the total number of generation z will be nazis Tongue

Again, internet movements, according to you, have a 75% success rate. And there's precedent for racist movements springing forth in societies. It ain't like we're in some post-racial society that'll never drift into another ethnostate.

I agree with TD, if neither party offers up good economic solutions and people keep suffering then people will keep voting on cultural and racial issues. And this will embolden the alt right even more.

Describing any of those as successful is such a ridiculous stretch. Obama withdrew from Iraq on the schedule proposed by the Iraqi government. Sanders did not win the Democratic Party nomination. It looks like the Republicans won't even get a real Obamacare repeal.

Also I thought you weren't serious about the 90% of white Gen Zers being Nazis? Make up your mind! But if you are, please explain how can statistically extrapolate 15k subscribers on a subreddit to 90% of an age bracket including people not born yet.

They were actually quite successful. The Tea Party got their 2010 wave year, forced Obama to cut the deficit hy 2/3s.

What Tea Party policies that made it through the then-Democratic Senate (as opposed to say, oooh, the economy making a huge improvement resulting in higher tax returns) resulted in this?

The anti Iraq people got the neocons in both the Democratic and Republican Party out of the White House. Obama being less hawkish than McCain and Romney, Trump being less hawkish than Hillary on Syria and Russia

There were never any neocons in the Democratic Party in the White House, and while the Iraq War certainly played a role in McCain's defeat, I don't think you can attribute it primarily to Code Pink and Cindy Sheehan. That's like saying people burning American flags on college campuses are what forced Nixon to pull out of Vietnam.

and Sanders and his supporters are clearly leading the Democratic Party right now. The democratic leadership will fight tooth and nail to stop them, but they won't succeed since they have zero credibility and no grassroots movement behind them to stop the Sanders insurgency.

Demonstrably false (as proven by Tom Perez) and just projection. Even what level of strength Sanders developed was clearly not due to Occupy Wall Street rallies.

90% was hyperbole. That's why I added the Tongue face. But a decent number of them will either be civic nationalists or white nationalists. And since the youth are already incredibly apathetic towards politics, these loud mouths will be the ones shaping the political dialogue of future youth movements.

And if you weren't 12 years old in 2008 you would've seen that this exact same thing also applied to Millennials in regards to libertarianism and Ron Paul's movement. Except not only were these clearly a vocal minority per voting returns, they didn't even stay as a movement for long, with about half of them turning into alt-right creeps and half becoming Sanders supporting social democrats eight years later. And with most of the once politically apathetic millennials upon getting older actually instead just voting based on their economic reality and social issue stances instead of whatever the dankest memes were promoting once they started voting when older. Imagine that! Maybe 20 years from now previously apathetic Gen Zers struggling with student loans, a probably even more unaffordable housing market, and possible huge economic changes brought on by automation will vote based on issues regarding that instead of whatever people on posting on 4chan then assuming it even still exists.

And seriously, go on 4chan for even 10 minutes, and then tell me that these people, assuming they are all teenagers (every demographics poll I've seen on it implies that it's mostly at least mid-20s neckbeards which doesn't shock me, simplistic image boards like it probably seem as dated to today's high schoolers as landlines were to my age cohort) are the leaders of their generation...and not likely bullied weirdos who are mostly cutting classes and barely passing if passing at all. I know high school has changed a lot since I was in it, but I'm still willing to wager than both the "popular" "cool kids" in it now, and the ones who are academically stellar and likely to go onto Ivy League colleges and other ones that produce the future leaders, are not the ones who producing anti-Semitic Pepe memes.

You still have yet to prove how your subreddit statistics actually DISPROVE the "vocal minority" claims, because really all that does is back it up. Once again, there are more people who voted for Hillary Clinton in my county alone, and your's, than who subscribe to r/The_Donald.

Also generations are magical groups arbitrarily defined by cutoff years that all vote in bloc for the entire age range. Do the youngest Generation Xers born in the late 70s vote like people born during the LBJ Presidency? This actually shows why most talk of generations is nonsensical, do I have more in common with people born in 1997 than in 1979?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2017, 01:35:43 PM »

You do realize that women exist, right? And that they're about half of any of the demographics in question. And that a bunch of racist trolls on the Internet =/= white "Generation Z" males.

While Trump has pretty clearly attracted some very disturbing forms (far-right) politics and thus, has brought them into the mainstream, most of Trump's voters aren't Nazis - they're Republicans. Hence, them voting for the Republican Party's presidential nominee. This really isn't that complicated.
hopper
United States

« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2017, 08:02:29 PM »

Noooo. Politics in the long term does matter! The electorate isn't totally static and does fluctuate as major events occur spontaneously or over time, but there are structural changes that tend to benefit one party over the other long-term and it is in the each party's interests to try and shape the future for themselves. One big problem the GOP has had is its obsession with trading long-term viability for short-term wins. It's the political equivalent of pawning all your stuff for some quick cash. Sure, you have money now, but eventually that will run out and you are left in dire straights. The GOP could have built a sunny future for itself had it worked harder to appeal to young voters and prove to them that the stereotypes are wrong, but it seems like every day, the actions of party members only serve to reinforce its poisoned image.

You can say what you will about GOP power right now; they are undoubtedly the nation's current majority party in terms of raw political power, but looking back at history, Democrats in 1992 looked quite dominant themselves, only to see their party implode and lose power at the federal and state level for decades. The fact is, long-term changes to electorate matter and winning a bunch of elections under favorable conditions can trick a party into thinking that everything is rosy when in reality it is rotting from the inside.

I'm quite worried about Generation Z though. It's sort of like how after the staunchly Democratic greatest generation came the Republican  silent generation. Millennials will be strongly Democratic but these gen z kids are something else let me tell ya.

Too much /pol/ and The_Donald for these youngins. I don't know if culture works in 5-10 year spans but when these kids took over the internet it went from being liberal/libertarian to conservative/nazism seemingly overnight.
The Silent Generation was never really that Republican until Obama became President.
hopper
United States

« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2017, 08:04:46 PM »

I dunno, maybe. Personally I'm not going to even begin drawing conclusions on this (save for a default opinion, which is an iffy extension of Millennials given basic demographics) until we get some actual voting data for them in 2018 and/or 2020. Even if they are somewhat more conservative now, it doesn't mean they will stay that way. The 18 - 25 age group is a time of partisan malleability and these people could end up changing their minds on various issues/politicians. Or, the polls end up being wrong. Given how diverse Z will be, it's hard for me to take seriously any idea that it will be a Republican-heavy generation given that the GOP has not only made no efforts to reach out but at times seem to be actively working to repel such voters.

Just going to have to wait and see.
Yeah Generation Z is gonna be more Hispanic than Generation Y but its not gonna be more Asian or any more Black than Generation Y was.
hopper
United States

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2017, 08:09:44 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2017, 08:31:58 PM by hopper »

It amusing how Millennials are already hating the next generation, just like every generation before them.

When the next generation are literally Nazis it doesn't seem too strange to me.
The previous generation always says the next(existing current generation) is so bad when compared to them.

hopper
United States

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2017, 08:18:32 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2017, 08:33:48 PM by hopper »

It amusing how Millennials are already hating the next generation, just like every generation before them.

Older generations call us entitled then turn a blind eye to their Nazi grandchildren because they support Trump.

Looks like Gen Z will carry their grandparents boomer/silent torch of racism and xenophobia. Hope they're happy about the little demons they've created.

I realize this is nitpicking and hardly the most ridiculous part of your post, but aren't the baby boomers on the whole more liberal than the Silent Generation or Gen X?
Baby Boomers who were age 18 when Nixon was President yes are more likely to be Dem than say Boomers who turned 18 when Kennedy/Lyndon B. Johnson who are more likely to be Republican. So it depends what Boomers what Boomers you are talking about.

Xers who were turned 18 when Clinton was President are more likely to be Dem than people who turned 18 when Reagan/Bush HW were President were more likely to be Republican.
hopper
United States

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2017, 08:24:04 PM »

I don't know the demographic breakdown of Minnesota, but is a 5% margin among whites even enough for Republicans to carry the state?  I'd assume not.  Republicans need to start getting solid margins among younger white voters.  Whites in their 30's are also a fairly liberal group by today's standards.  These voters are now going to be entering the over 40 bracket...  Republicans can't break even among whites under 45 and lose minorities by massive margins and be viable going forward... there are not enough old whites to make this work.

-A 5% margin among Whites in MN (what Trump actually got) is not enough for Republicans to carry the state. But a 7% margin is.

Concentrating on age demos to predict the future is as nutty as concentrating on past state PVIs to do the same.

uh no, because people don't just magically become more conservative as they age, despite the common myth.  The very oldest millenials/gen X'ers started voting Democrat in reaction to George Bush and have stayed loyal to the Democratic party nearly 20 years later.

-Likewise, Vermont became a strongly Democratic state in reaction to GWB. What else is new?

Again, concentrating on age demos to predict the future is as nutty as concentrating on past state PVIs to do the same.
No, VT was trending D during the 80's.
hopper
United States

« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2017, 08:27:28 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2017, 08:32:24 PM by hopper »

I don't know the demographic breakdown of Minnesota, but is a 5% margin among whites even enough for Republicans to carry the state?  I'd assume not.  Republicans need to start getting solid margins among younger white voters.  Whites in their 30's are also a fairly liberal group by today's standards.  These voters are now going to be entering the over 40 bracket...  Republicans can't break even among whites under 45 and lose minorities by massive margins and be viable going forward... there are not enough old whites to make this work.

-A 5% margin among Whites in MN (what Trump actually got) is not enough for Republicans to carry the state. But a 7% margin is.

Concentrating on age demos to predict the future is as nutty as concentrating on past state PVIs to do the same.

uh no, because people don't just magically become more conservative as they age, despite the common myth.  The very oldest millenials/gen X'ers started voting Democrat in reaction to George Bush and have stayed loyal to the Democratic party nearly 20 years later.
Most of those Xers probably turned 18 during Clinton's Presidency anyway.
hopper
United States

« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2017, 09:07:56 PM »

Noooo. Politics in the long term does matter! The electorate isn't totally static and does fluctuate as major events occur spontaneously or over time, but there are structural changes that tend to benefit one party over the other long-term and it is in the each party's interests to try and shape the future for themselves. One big problem the GOP has had is its obsession with trading long-term viability for short-term wins. It's the political equivalent of pawning all your stuff for some quick cash. Sure, you have money now, but eventually that will run out and you are left in dire straights. The GOP could have built a sunny future for itself had it worked harder to appeal to young voters and prove to them that the stereotypes are wrong, but it seems like every day, the actions of party members only serve to reinforce its poisoned image.

You can say what you will about GOP power right now; they are undoubtedly the nation's current majority party in terms of raw political power, but looking back at history, Democrats in 1992 looked quite dominant themselves, only to see their party implode and lose power at the federal and state level for decades. The fact is, long-term changes to electorate matter and winning a bunch of elections under favorable conditions can trick a party into thinking that everything is rosy when in reality it is rotting from the inside.

I'm quite worried about Generation Z though. It's sort of like how after the staunchly Democratic greatest generation came the Republican  silent generation. Millennials will be strongly Democratic but these gen z kids are something else let me tell ya.

Too much /pol/ and The_Donald for these youngins. I don't know if culture works in 5-10 year spans but when these kids took over the internet it went from being liberal/libertarian to conservative/nazism seemingly overnight.
The Silent Generation was never really that Republican until Obama became President.

Looking at the past data, you're right.

I guess the first black president was enough to push them into the Republican column.
I don't think the fact that he was Black alone though made them an R Group. Just 11% of Silents shortly after the 2008 Election said that Obama made them feel angry. In November 2011 that number went by 4 times up to 40%.
hopper
United States

« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2017, 09:37:05 PM »

Was there any follow up data explaining why there was a sudden jump of nearly 4 fold?
No none that I could I find. Silents were the only Generation that McCain won by 8%(53-45%) back in 2008 although Obama only won Boomers by 1% (50-49%) from the link that you provided.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »

Your embrace of my generation makes me love your party all the more.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »

I dunno, maybe. Personally I'm not going to even begin drawing conclusions on this (save for a default opinion, which is an iffy extension of Millennials given basic demographics) until we get some actual voting data for them in 2018 and/or 2020. Even if they are somewhat more conservative now, it doesn't mean they will stay that way. The 18 - 25 age group is a time of partisan malleability and these people could end up changing their minds on various issues/politicians. Or, the polls end up being wrong. Given how diverse Z will be, it's hard for me to take seriously any idea that it will be a Republican-heavy generation given that the GOP has not only made no efforts to reach out but at times seem to be actively working to repel such voters.

Just going to have to wait and see.
Yeah Generation Z is gonna be more Hispanic than Generation Y but its not gonna be more Asian or any more Black than Generation Y was is.
Jeez, we're not gone yet!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2017, 02:09:32 AM »

Pretty funny what Timmy says about predicted voting patterns of future generations now in light of this.
mijan
Rookie
Bangladesh

« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2017, 03:04:11 AM »

Demonizing an entire generation does not make any sense.
mijan
Rookie
Bangladesh

« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2017, 03:08:18 AM »

If those numbers are correct the GOP will need to start making real efforts with minorities within the next 5 years.  Those numbers aren't sustainable long term.

Even if we just assumed that all constituencies remained static and old whites are being replaced by less conservative whites... that would be enough to cause the GOP problems... then you factor in the notion that the minority population is growing and it becomes implausible to continue this.

As others have stated, young whites are almost exclusively neo-Nazi/alt-right. The country will be voting like Mississippi and Alabama in 50 years.

Holy.  .

That was the dumbest thing I have read in a long time.
I agree with you completely.
mijan
Rookie
Bangladesh

« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2017, 03:22:15 AM »

Holy.  .

I wish I can agree with you, but the signs I've seen are very disconcerting.

With white women, I agree with you, since Trump and social conservatism has practically 0 support from the white women I know. It's the white (and some Asian) men who tend to go alt-right.

Of course, what I said so far is anecdotal, but we've already seen plenty of surveys on this forum that show (white male) Gen-Zers being pro-Trump. I'd love it if you could show otherwise (even if only to make me less fearful of the future).
Donald Trump won  60%+ of white woman with no college degree and you are telling me Trumpism does not have any support from white women.
It is hilarious to put blame only on white men for trumpism.
There are many decent young white males from generation z and there are many white females that supports trumpism.
You should not make any blanket statement.
A white man from generation z should not be automatically suspected as a racist.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2017, 11:58:41 AM »

Holy.  .

I wish I can agree with you, but the signs I've seen are very disconcerting.

With white women, I agree with you, since Trump and social conservatism has practically 0 support from the white women I know. It's the white (and some Asian) men who tend to go alt-right.

Of course, what I said so far is anecdotal, but we've already seen plenty of surveys on this forum that show (white male) Gen-Zers being pro-Trump. I'd love it if you could show otherwise (even if only to make me less fearful of the future).
Donald Trump won  60%+ of white woman with no college degree and you are telling me Trumpism does not have any support from white women.
It is hilarious to put blame only on white men for trumpism.
There are many decent young white males from generation z and there are many white females that supports trumpism.
You should not make any blanket statement.
A white man from generation z should not be automatically suspected as a racist.

Ah but you see lots of Trumpists post on sites frequented by teenagers, so it's quite obvious that the vast majority are Trumpists, it's perfectly sound statistics. Also I think it's pretty clear that the "leaders" of the next generation, the ones who'll be most active in politics and define and today's valedictorians and ones who'll be going to the Ivy League schools are currently posting on 4chan and other sites calling themselves "sh!tlords" and raving about "Kek" and how people they dislike are "cucks". Makes perfect sense to me.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2017, 08:22:03 PM »

If those numbers are correct the GOP will need to start making real efforts with minorities within the next 5 years.  Those numbers aren't sustainable long term.

Even if we just assumed that all constituencies remained static and old whites are being replaced by less conservative whites... that would be enough to cause the GOP problems... then you factor in the notion that the minority population is growing and it becomes implausible to continue this.

As others have stated, young whites are almost exclusively neo-Nazi/alt-right. The country will be voting like Mississippi and Alabama in 50 years.

You're disgusting.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2017, 06:40:20 PM »

The hilarious thing is Timmy says I like to bully children with what he said in this thread...
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2017, 07:58:07 PM »

Okay as a member of Generation Z  I think that we are definitely more conservatives then Millennials we hate sjw's safe spaces etc but from what i've seen most of us are Fiscally conservative and Socially liberal I think that our generation will like people in the center
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2017, 12:22:40 AM »

Okay as a member of Generation Z  I think that we are definitely more conservatives then Millennials we hate sjw's safe spaces etc but from what i've seen most of us are Fiscally conservative and Socially liberal I think that our generation will like people in the center

Truly the most relevant and important issues of our time obviously. Especially in regards to presidential elections.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2017, 12:40:34 AM »

As another poster said, 60% of high school kids disprove of Trump. I'd guess that's only slightly less than college students/20 somethings. You would think, given how generations often react against the one prior, that Gen Z would be far more supportive of Trump than they appear to be. Also remember that white males going for Trump isn't any surprise. White men will probably vote majority for Republicans in this country for the foreseeable future, if anyone will they will. I doubt the margin is as high as pre-millennial generations, though, and of course they're making up a smaller and smaller chunk of the population.

OK but you still have a statistically nonsensical theory in regards to the generation separation.

I mean I'm pretty close a generational cusp too, I'm a Millennial by just 1-3 years depending on your definition, so I interact a lot with the youngest Gen Xers and I don't have any serious cultural differences with them. Not to mention that they vote more like Millennials than Gen Xers in general do, for proof just look at the late 20s polls in the 2008 election or how college campuses voted in 2000. There wasn't an immediate jump from voting Republican to voting Democratic between Generation X and Millennials.

On a more serious note, pew research center shows that each generation has gotten more and more liberal starting with the silent generation onwards.

I still think that generation z is currently on the path towards being more conservative than millennials, but Trump could mess that all up.

Being more conservative than millennials isn't really saying much.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2017, 12:44:37 AM »

Truly the most relevant and important issues of our time obviously. Especially in regards to presidential elections.

I was into the PC backlash thing around 2014/early 2015 but at this point it's just another form of PC. So people are annoying on Twitter whining about microagressions, get over it. There are way worse/more important things happening in the world right now. I've moved on.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2017, 10:09:06 AM »

You would think, given how generations often react against the one prior, that Gen Z would be far more supportive of Trump than they appear to be.

Isn't public opinion of the president at ages 18-20something also a huge determiner of political alignment? I remember reading that Baby Boomers who came of age during Watergate were significantly more Democratic-leaning than those who came before and after it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies