S3: Southern Right to work
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:57:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S3: Southern Right to work
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S3: Southern Right to work  (Read 1065 times)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2017, 12:04:09 AM »

Southern Right to Work Act.

Given that - States across the south have passed right to work in their economies, every southern state now has it.

Given that - the South has made considerable employments and industry gains over the rest of the country.

Given that - allowing workers to set their own wages is better for both the employee and the employer.

Given that - we don't want to become like Detroit.

Be it resolved that:

All labor unions are henceforth voluntary. Employers cannot require an employee to join a union in order to maintain employment. This includes employees in the public and private sectors.

Labor unions may not withdraw funds from paychecks before they are deposited. Any employee currently belonging to a labor union may withdraw at any time by submitting a letter of intent.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:23:56 AM »

This is now up for debate, good sirs. Have at it!
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 07:14:12 PM »

Oh dear, let's not do this Tongue Right to Work is really bad policy
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 10:50:22 PM »

Okay to make this extremely clear. I will be reviewing this, and researching this later tomorrow afternoon and will have my brief up in the evening. Please do not proceed without some debate on this.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 12:41:04 AM »

I suggest you keep the deadlines that you set. Wink
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32:43 PM »

Unsurprisingly the afternoon is over. I guess Never Again had better things to do.

I am bringing this up for a vote now. You have 48 hours.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 07:33:05 PM »

AYE
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 07:35:58 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2017, 07:39:42 PM by Delegate NeverAgain »

WHOA WHOA WHOA! WHAT THE F**K IS YOUR TIME SCHEDULE? WHEN DOES "EVENING" MEAN AFTERNOON?

Okay to make this extremely clear. I will be reviewing this, and researching this later tomorrow afternoon and will have my brief up in the evening. Please do not proceed without some debate on this.

You are entirely doing this on purpose to discourage debate on your awful legislation. This bill hasn't even been out for 48 hours without you trying to put it up for a vote. This is entirely a partisan hack-job. Get it together. End this vote.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 07:44:35 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2017, 07:47:02 PM by IDS Speaker Ben Kenobi »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nonsense. You had two whole days to post your opposition to this legislation. I've announced it. You chose not to raise any objections to the bill, and to set a timeline being the 'afternoon'.

We don't have time to wait for NeverAgain to try to get his sh**t together.

Why aren't you ready by your own deadline?

The bill sat for ages on the order paper in the South. I was away for some time and there it sat. I kept an eye on it and organized the bills long before now. A reasonable person would have concluded that if something is on the order paper that it is likely to come up in the current session.

A better question is why weren't you ready to debate the bill when I introduced it? Nothing was secret. I notified you on both introduction and now, the vote. Introduction came after the other two bills were voted on.

A vote was requested last night. There are more people in the CoD than just you, NeverAgain.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 08:08:13 PM »

First off, "TWO WHOLE DAYS"? You opening this midnight yesterday, that's NOT two whole days.

I guess reading comprehension is a problem here, when I said clearly and specifically "EVENING", you heard "afternoon". So, my "deadline" has not passed in any timezone.

Because I said "evening", which by my meaning, means at least until 9pm, if not midnight (WHICH WOULD ACTUALLY BE 48 HOURS)

That is a you problem, just because you weren't organized enough to get this awful anti-worker legislation passed before it was going to be contested is not my problem.

I am not going to indulge in my personal life, I did have an all-night performance last night, for which I didn't get home until quite late, and decided not to keep myself awake for attempting to give sleep-deprived arguments.

BY WHO? WHO OTHER THAN ME, WHO IS AGAINST IT, SPENSTAR, WHO IS AGAINST IT, AND YOU WHO ARE THE SPEAKER AND THEREFORE CANNOT MOTION FOR IT, REQUESTED IT?

The fact is, the standard for debate is 48 hours. I requested under that, and you still deny the bill, because it is so obvious you want to get it done before someone that is competent and wants to engage in the issues takes over the chamber and Governor's mansion.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »

I motion for a 24 hour pause on voting to allow for actual debate, and uphold that standard of at least 48 hours of debate on any/all pieces of legislation.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 08:10:37 PM »

Seconded. If the last thing I ever do in this chamber is stop this bill, then so be it
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 08:13:31 PM »

Seconded. If the last thing I ever do in this chamber is stop this bill, then so be it

Since the motion has been seconded, and motions are not within any scope of this Chamber's rules, so the standard of Robert's Rules must govern this circumstance.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 08:19:14 PM »

Then why weren't you ready yesterday? You've still yet to post anything contrary to the bill.

How is it contested?

Well, then. Not my problem here.

A vote on the bill was requested by PM yesterday to start the vote up today. I decided to wait to see if you'd post anything and then initiated the vote today.

Again, you're not the only one here.

You requested more time because you were not ready.

I was more than happy to discuss this issue after I introduced the bill. Were you?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 08:23:43 PM »

The Speaker is ignoring the question on the floor that must be addressed before any other items of business.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 08:28:08 PM »

A vote on the bill was requested by PM yesterday to start the vote up today. I decided to wait to see if you'd post anything and then initiated the vote today.

Again, you're not the only one here.
Surely if someone wanted a vote to be called, they would say so here - rather than by PM to make the call public? How else would delegates be aware that someone has called for a vote; how do we know it was made by a delegate and not someone outwith the chamber; how do delegates know when the call was made; how do delegates know if the call is real?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 08:28:27 PM »

Speaker grants Delegate JCL the floor.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 08:30:02 PM »

When did Delegate JCL ask for the floor?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 08:30:15 PM »

Again, the request for a vote was made by PM last night. I am obligated to represent all the members of the chamber, not just NeverAgain.

I am going to be away tonight, so no motions may proceed until JCL comes on tonight as I've given him the floor.

As it is the current vote is valid until JCL comes on.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »

I am permitted as speaker to grant the floor to a delegate should I be not present in the chamber.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 08:33:35 PM »

Ben this is a rather ridiculous thing to do- legislatures never look when they shut down debate like- you've seen the House of cards episode where they drag in the Senators in handcuffs right?

The general consensus is to give bills 48 hours to be voted on- it doesn't matter if someone PM's you to ask for a vote, especially if the person wasn't a member of the Southern Assembly. You're shooting yourself in the foot by acting in such a stubborn manner
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 08:36:36 PM »

Mr. Speaker, are you attempting to silence me? Because if so, I then motion for a division of the Chamber on the issue of ability of myself to speak.

Motions MUST be taken in the order that they've been presented. Since you are ignoring my motion entirely, destroying any ability to follow the Rules established through our rules, I question the ability for you to adequately serve as Speaker. Unless you can be an arbiter of this discussion, I ask you to recuse yourself, and allow the discussion to continue.
diptheriadan

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 08:40:36 PM »

The fact is, the standard for debate is 48 hours. I requested under that, and you still deny the bill, because it is so obvious you want to get it done before someone that is competent and wants to engage in the issues takes over the chamber and Governor's mansion.

Well that's not very nice. Especially since I'm the guy that gave you your current platform.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »

Well that's not very nice. Especially since I'm the guy that gave you your current platform.

Was nothing against you personally, Dip, just claiming the incompetence of some actions taken by those that you also appointed.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 08:46:22 PM »

I second Nev's motion.

I motion to give the Governor a hug
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: