IN-SEN: Brains or Braun?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:54:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IN-SEN: Brains or Braun?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25
Author Topic: IN-SEN: Brains or Braun?  (Read 68237 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2017, 11:54:52 PM »

Messer, meanwhile, went out and bought a bunch of $3,000 suits, while the median district of IN-06 is $50,588.

Leaked footage of Messer on the job
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2017, 06:44:17 PM »

Young had a rough primary with Stutzman in 2016 and it didn't stop him from beating the most successful democratic politician of the last half century in Indiana in a ten point landslide.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2017, 09:17:13 AM »

Politico on Messer-Rokita: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/15/todd-rokita-luke-messer-indiana-primary-241622
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2017, 05:42:16 PM »

Howey's take on the race, he thinks it's Lean Democrat

I agree with some of his points, honestly. Donnelly will probably be up by a lot in the first public polls.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2017, 05:50:48 PM »

Donnelly's all steak and no sizzle. He's inoffensive and a very solid senator. If this was a Clinton midterm he'd be severely disadvantaged, but in Trump's midterm I think he's got an advantage.

I think, in general, he's very similar to Rob Portman, in the lack of glitz and focus on being a good fit for the state.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2017, 05:53:12 PM »

Indiana Dems are favored to lose until polls show otherwise, but Donnelly has a far better chance than Generic D would.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2017, 05:54:16 PM »

Donnelly's all steak and no sizzle. He's inoffensive and a very solid senator. If this was a Clinton midterm he'd be severely disadvantaged, but in Trump's midterm I think he's got an advantage.

I think, in general, he's very similar to Rob Portman, in the lack of glitz and focus on being a good fit for the state.

Basically this. Hoosiers prefer republicans but will vote for a "good" democrat over a "meh" republican. Nobody hates Joe Donnelly. I think tossup is more accurate though with a very slight edge to Donnelly.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »

I'm considering moving this from "Toss-up" to "Tilt-D". I think Donnelly has done a great job projecting his moderate positions to the state, while also staying vigilant in the resistance. Also the R-Primary being a complete sh*tshow helps.

Also: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2017/09/01/former-aides-say-rep-todd-rokita-yelled-staff-docked-pay/624152001/

lol
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2017, 12:48:33 PM »

Basically this. Hoosiers prefer republicans but will vote for a "good" democrat over a "meh" republican. Nobody hates Joe Donnelly. I think tossup is more accurate though with a very slight edge to Donnelly.

What do you think a public poll would show right now? Donnelly +12? Too bad that IN, ND, MT and PA all haven't been polled yet.

Wild guess I would say Donnelly +5-10. He is not well known enough to be up by 20+ points.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #109 on: September 02, 2017, 12:49:28 PM »

I'm considering moving this from "Toss-up" to "Tilt-D". I think Donnelly has done a great job projecting his moderate positions to the state, while also staying vigilant in the resistance. Also the R-Primary being a complete sh*tshow helps.

Also: http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2017/09/01/former-aides-say-rep-todd-rokita-yelled-staff-docked-pay/624152001/

lol

Rokita is terrible. He's unpleasant to be around.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »

I agree with some of his points, honestly. Donnelly will probably be up by a lot in the first public polls.
Yeah honestly even if it is toss up, it's more tilt dem than tilt rep for now. Donnelly is underrated and Rokita/Messer don't seem to be great candidates like Todd Young.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: September 02, 2017, 03:34:10 PM »

Young had a rough primary with Stutzman in 2016 and it didn't stop him from beating the most successful democratic politician of the last half century in Indiana in a ten point landslide.

TBF didn't Bayh have some pretty extreme liabilities with his residency gaffes? Took down Luger, too.

(Pro tip, aspiring pols: live in your goddamn home state)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #112 on: September 02, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »

TBF didn't Bayh have some pretty extreme liabilities with his residency gaffes? Took down Luger, too.

(Pro tip, aspiring pols: live in your goddamn home state)

residency issues were the least of Bayh's problems, which ultimately was him being a gignatic swamp monster who left the Senate to become a major lobbyist and then running back to Indiana for an electoral gig. Hint hint that never works.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #113 on: September 02, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »

Yeah honestly even if it is toss up, it's more tilt dem than tilt rep for now. Donnelly is underrated and Rokita/Messer don't seem to be great candidates like Todd Young.

Yeah, though I still think it's the most likely Democratic-held seat to flip after MO. Sure, they have a very good chance in MT, but Tester's floor is too high for MT to be more likely to flip than IN IMO. And Heitkamp and Manchin are way too popular and better known than Donnelly.
Oh I definitely agree with this sentiment.

Regarding MT, I think it's a bit too early to have any feelings about the outcome of the race.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »

Oh I definitely agree with this sentiment.

Regarding MT, I think it's a bit too early to have any feelings about the outcome of the race.

Oh, sure. I won't feel 100% confident about Republican chances here until I see the checkmark next to the Republican candidate's name. I definitely believe it's a Tossup, though (even if early polling will indicate otherwise)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2017, 06:26:42 PM »

Who wins the primary, Rokita or Messer?
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »

Absolute Tossup until we see some polling. Messer would be my preference. Rokita is probably better known because he has won statewide in the past. Messer will get more establishment backing.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #117 on: September 03, 2017, 08:57:15 PM »

Maybe neither.
As I've pointed out before on this thread, Rokita and Messer engaging in a fierce fight with each other could end up making them both look so bad that one of the other candidates in this race - someone we might look at now as likely to come in third place - might be able to beat both of them. Someone like state Rep. Mike Braun might end up winning the primary because a war between the two congressmen ruins both of their images.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2017, 03:44:26 PM »

Susan Brooks endorses Luke Messer.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Press-Release--Susan-Brooks-Endorses-Luke-Messer-.html?soid=1123214391458&aid=cV0NtqoURWE
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2017, 03:23:12 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2017, 05:41:29 PM by Heisenberg »

Braun launches a Super PAC.
And will resign from the State House to focus on his campaign.

Edit: Fixed broken link.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2017, 03:26:54 PM »

Braun launches a Super PAC.
[urlhttps://www.wfyi.org/news/articles/braun-to-resign-state-house-seat-amid-us-senate-run]And will resign from the State House to focus on his campaign.[/url]

Call me crazy, but Braun worries me more than either of the big names currently gunning for the seat. Messer and Rokita have national profiles that Donnelly can use against them, but Braun is a local politician running an anti-establishment campaign.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2017, 03:39:05 PM »

Braun could learn something from the campaign tactics of Russ Feingold in 1992, per the story I posted about before on this thread, on August 2.

Run a positive campaign about himself, never mentioning Messer or Rokita except to point out the fact that they are running extremely negative campaigns against each other.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2017, 08:59:14 PM »

Greg Ballard, Mitch Daniels, or a former Daniels ally could beat Donnelly, such as Bill Oesterle or Murray Clark. That said, Curtis Hill seems much stronger than Rokita or Messer.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2017, 09:01:23 PM »

yeah I definitely think both Messer and Rotika could blow it and allow Braun to win the nomination. Messer is aggressively anti-charismatic and mediocre and Rotika is aggressively unlikable and a diva and both HATE eachother.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2017, 02:26:17 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2017, 02:28:40 PM by MT Treasurer »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies