WI: Queen Isabella I of Castile married King John II of Portugal...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:41:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  WI: Queen Isabella I of Castile married King John II of Portugal...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WI: Queen Isabella I of Castile married King John II of Portugal...  (Read 2176 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2017, 07:35:47 PM »

And King Ferdinand of Aragon married Eleanor of Naples?

This would allow Aragon to reclaim Naples in a personal union. If Naples wouldn't allow Eleanor to take the throne, then Ferdinand and Eleanor's daughter or grand daughter could marry the next King of Naples, as IIRC, Aragon allowed female rulers.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 05:34:27 AM »

Would Grenada survive in this scenario?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »

I doubt it. I imagine Aragon could single handedly defeat whatever remains.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 08:50:13 AM »

Or maybe Ferdinand II marries Queen Charlotte of Cyprus. That would make all his children descendants of the Byzantine Emperors.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 01:52:59 PM »

Or maybe Ferdinand II marries Queen Charlotte of Cyprus. That would make all his children descendants of the Byzantine Emperors.

Actually, I doubt this. I looked at the lineage of the Queen of Cyprus... which leads back to one of the first kings of Jerusalem. Through the paternal line, it looks like they were just nobles in Tripoli c. 1050, meaning it’s unlikely they were closely related to the Byzantine Emperors. Not to mention that there were multiple dynasties that had petered out (Justin’s, for example). The Crusaders didn’t manage to get the Byzantine Empire on board, since it was Orthodox, though that only became relevant after the Great Schism.

What if Castille and Burgundy had been under a personal Union (remembering that Spain inherited Burgundy’s non-French holdings as HRE, anyway)?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 05:03:20 PM »

Actually, I doubt this. I looked at the lineage of the Queen of Cyprus... which leads back to one of the first kings of Jerusalem. Through the paternal line, it looks like they were just nobles in Tripoli c. 1050, meaning it’s unlikely they were closely related to the Byzantine Emperors. Not to mention that there were multiple dynasties that had petered out (Justin’s, for example). The Crusaders didn’t manage to get the Byzantine Empire on board, since it was Orthodox, though that only became relevant after the Great Schism.

What if Castille and Burgundy had been under a personal Union (remembering that Spain inherited Burgundy’s non-French holdings as HRE, anyway)?

On her mother’s side, Queen Charlotte was a great-granddaughter of Manuel II Palaiolagos.
WritOfCertiorari

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 06:09:40 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2018, 06:28:32 PM by WritOfCertiorari »

On her mother’s side, Queen Charlotte was a great-granddaughter of Manuel II Palaiolagos.

Not bad, but as I suspected, the Palaiolagos dynasty only dates back to 1261. Also, Michael, the original Emperor from that dynasty, was literally excommunicated for blinding the former Emperor, who was a little kid, and then seizing power. Great legacy. Then again, the Romans never had a truly stable rule of succession.

I admit it would have been interesting to have a joining between a Byzantine and Spanish line, only made possible by her parents’ marriage, her father being Catholic. Actually, her mother’s uncles were the last two Byzantine Emperors.

The problem is that she was only Queen for 6 years, before she was overthrown... when Ferdinand was 12. So there wasn’t much reason for Ferdinand to marry her, anyway.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 07:59:29 PM »

I doubt it. I imagine Aragon could single handedly defeat whatever remains.

Much more likely to be Castile than Aragon that did so. But perhaps it survives longer in any case if Castile and Portugal have more difficulty integrating.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 11:54:58 PM »

Not bad, but as I suspected, the Palaiolagos dynasty only dates back to 1261. Also, Michael, the original Emperor from that dynasty, was literally excommunicated for blinding the former Emperor, who was a little kid, and then seizing power. Great legacy. Then again, the Romans never had a truly stable rule of succession.

I admit it would have been interesting to have a joining between a Byzantine and Spanish line, only made possible by her parents’ marriage, her father being Catholic. Actually, her mother’s uncles were the last two Byzantine Emperors.

The problem is that she was only Queen for 6 years, before she was overthrown... when Ferdinand was 12. So there wasn’t much reason for Ferdinand to marry her, anyway.

Unless Aragon agreed to sponsor her takeover of Cyprus, as well as support her adopted son’s claims to the throne of Naples.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies