which country has the biggest population problem?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:21:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  which country has the biggest population problem?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ....
india

china

bangladesh

nigeria

other (specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: which country has the biggest population problem?  (Read 6685 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2005, 06:15:04 PM »

I voted 'other', because these countries population problems are nothing compared to the many countries in which population is shrinking, or soon will be, or who's populations are aging rapidly due to very slow growth.  Heck even China is rapidly aging.  No, you're out of date to post a poll that suggests population growth is the problem - our problem in the future will be just the opposite.

the aging of the population in europe and japan and eventually the us, will have some negative economic consequences.  that is one reason why i favor a very liberal immigration policy.

however, opebo, you are foolish if you are suggesting over population isnt a problem in the third world.
No, he's quite right.

lewis, i just read in the paper that 600+ people have died in india since june 1st from......heavy rain.  of course over-population and decrepit housing has a lot to do with this high number.

so, i still think that over-population in the third world is a bigger problem than declining populations in the first world.

That's not quite fair: 6" of rain fell on Houston in Tropical Storm Allison, and in the upper Midwest back in 1992(?), and both were devastated. In comparion 3 feet of rain fell in Calcutta
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2005, 03:19:19 PM »

Demography has always been a hobby of mine. I am more concerned with the birth rate crisis in the First World than rapid growth in the 3rd. Bangladesh was a problem but its dramatically decreased its birth rate over 15 years, today its only a little higher than the US was at the height of the Baby Boom years (CIA Factbook). I look more at the numbers and trends rather than stuff like food availability, so I might be missing the other side of the equation.

India has the same Birth Rate as Utah, while Brazil and Thailand are below it. There are almost no countries left with birth rates over 45 per thousand. Iran is another place that has seen births over the past 20 years drop by over 50%. Except for Nigeria, Yemen and a few African countries, there is no longer a population explosion problem. China may have a billion people but that doesn't mean anything

Population growth over 1% a year is a sign of a healthy, dynamic society. I think the West should try to increase its native birth rate rather than relying on immigration, although I'm not one of those Zero P. Growth racists. Financial inducements in Europe and Australia don't seem to work so we need another plan. Japan, Russia, Germany and Italy are high on the list of demographic trouble spots.
Spain too IIRC.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2005, 04:20:57 PM »

The demographic trend is toward a shrinking population. Phillip Longman makes a strong case that the problem will be worse in the 3rd world by mid century than anything in Europe or North America today. His article The Global Baby Bust appeared last year in Foreign Affairs. Here's the summary:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies