What will Trumps stance be on Gay Marriage when he's campaigning for reelection?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:34:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What will Trumps stance be on Gay Marriage when he's campaigning for reelection?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Choose one:
Support it

Stay neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: What will Trumps stance be on Gay Marriage when he's campaigning for reelection?  (Read 1434 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 15, 2017, 09:14:19 PM »

I didn't include him coming out (no pun intended) actively against it since he's already said the Supreme Court decision was settled law and there's no signs that this issue will even be contentious in 2020.

I really have no idea. I'd say it's 50/50 at this point. I don't think, after all that he's done and said, that he'd lose anymore evangelical supporters if he came out in support of it. He very well might just take a gamble and support something that so many Americans already support and even more will support going into 2020. But that would be awkward with uber Christian Mike Pence as his running mate...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 09:59:18 PM »

Say it's settled, but not actively support.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 12:20:50 AM »

Agreed. That's the route he'll likely take in 2020, if he runs again.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 08:50:08 AM »

He will be the greatest pro-LGBTQ president we've ever had, believe me.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 12:17:07 PM »

I think that there should at least be an option for opposing it. Not saying that he will, but still.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 12:22:52 PM »

Defer to the states. Effectively stay neutral, in other words.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 07:52:46 PM »

Nondiscrimination laws will be the hot-button LGBT issue in 2020, not marriage.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 09:40:20 PM »

Irrelevant, that's what it will be. Maybe take a stance on religious freedom for business owners and ministers.
oraclebones
Rookie
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 11:21:17 PM »

The same as every other issue: he'll take all of the positions at varying times.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 08:00:24 AM »

Pence is his Vice President. He's not going to support it.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 10:43:14 PM »

He'll probably support overturning Obergefell v Hodges, promise to appoint more justices if there are more vacancies that will oppose Obergefell in a future same sex marriage case and throw same sex marriage back to the states.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2017, 12:30:54 AM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2017, 07:00:05 PM »

He won't want to talk about it.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 07:08:04 AM »

Irrelevant, that's what it will be. Maybe take a stance on religious freedom for business owners and ministers.

He'll probably support overturning Obergefell v Hodges, promise to appoint more justices if there are more vacancies that will oppose Obergefell in a future same sex marriage case and throw same sex marriage back to the states.

I don't agree with the last choice.  SSM (which I do not endorse) is a settled issue.  Even many folks like myself who take a Biblical view of this issue also view it as a matter of it being a choice whose consequences are pretty much on the people who are making that decision.  By 2020, there will be so many gay marriages to the point where it would be a legal nightmare if they were repealed.  Trump isn't going to go here.

In his way, Trump really does take all sides of this issue.  I doubt he cares much about gay/straight matters; he's personally OK with gay marriage and people being gay.  I do think he understands that many folks sincerely believe that God has not sanctioned this, and he wants to allow them to not have to do things that make them "sign off" on SSM without further inflaming folks, and I think that this can be done.  This issue is different than interracial marriage in the 1960s; there is a Biblical prohibition against homosexuality that doesn't apply to cross-racial marriages, and this ought to be significant.  Forcing churches to perform SSM ceremonies is forcing them to violate God's Word, and I think reasonable folks will be OK with recognizing folks' right to not violate their consciences in things that are not mandatory or public accomodations. 

Likewise, I believe that Trump will do a great deal for LGBT discrimination issues short of declaring LGBT a "protected class" (as race, color, gender, and creed are).  He'll not support the "bathroom bills" either way, but he'll let the issue die down, as it should.  This was an issue that was used by a Governor and a Legislature to boost their own chances in the fall, and they didn't count on the blowback over it.  I cannot see Trump getting bogged down in where folks go to the bathroom.  I can see him quietly doing things that will reduce workforce discrimination, although I can't see him celebrating these things in a Rose Garden ceremony.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 10:33:11 AM »

I don't agree with the last choice.  SSM (which I do not endorse) is a settled issue.  Even many folks like myself who take a Biblical view of this issue also view it as a matter of it being a choice whose consequences are pretty much on the people who are making that decision.  By 2020, there will be so many gay marriages to the point where it would be a legal nightmare if they were repealed.  Trump isn't going to go here.

In his way, Trump really does take all sides of this issue.  I doubt he cares much about gay/straight matters; he's personally OK with gay marriage and people being gay.  I do think he understands that many folks sincerely believe that God has not sanctioned this, and he wants to allow them to not have to do things that make them "sign off" on SSM without further inflaming folks, and I think that this can be done.  This issue is different than interracial marriage in the 1960s; there is a Biblical prohibition against homosexuality that doesn't apply to cross-racial marriages, and this ought to be significant.  Forcing churches to perform SSM ceremonies is forcing them to violate God's Word, and I think reasonable folks will be OK with recognizing folks' right to not violate their consciences in things that are not mandatory or public accomodations. 

Likewise, I believe that Trump will do a great deal for LGBT discrimination issues short of declaring LGBT a "protected class" (as race, color, gender, and creed are).  He'll not support the "bathroom bills" either way, but he'll let the issue die down, as it should.  This was an issue that was used by a Governor and a Legislature to boost their own chances in the fall, and they didn't count on the blowback over it.  I cannot see Trump getting bogged down in where folks go to the bathroom.  I can see him quietly doing things that will reduce workforce discrimination, although I can't see him celebrating these things in a Rose Garden ceremony.

You do realize only 2-4 percent of the United states population is gay and that 2/3 of same sex couples in same sex marriages end up getting divorced. There's many factors as to why I believe Obergefell v Hodges will eventually be overturned in the 2020s but I'm not going to get into them as you won't even bother to read it and if you do you wouldn't even take it seriously.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 11:01:56 AM »

He won't talk about it. It's settled law.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 01:14:36 PM »

You do realize only 2-4 percent of the United states population is gay and that 2/3 of same sex couples in same sex marriages end up getting divorced. There's many factors as to why I believe Obergefell v Hodges will eventually be overturned in the 2020s but I'm not going to get into them as you won't even bother to read it and if you do you wouldn't even take it seriously.

I've read Obergefell.  It's lousy law, as was Citizens United, as was Roe, as was any number of cases that stem from Judicial Activism (left and right).  But the Judicial Branch has a vested interest in its orders being followed, and this occurs through the use of the principle of stare decisis (adherence to precedent).  A controlling opinion becomes a case, and is built on.  Even Samuel Alito stated that Roe was "a precedent worthy of respect".  So I'm not holding my breath on Obergefell
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 10:25:12 PM »

... "The average divorce rate for same-sex couples was just 1.1 percent annually, compared to an annual average of 2 percent divorce rate for heterosexual couples."

Also 2-4% is a statistic of people willing to tell people they are homosexual. According to research, at least ten percent of people are homosexual or bisexual, and Kinsey's research showed much higher rates. I mean, I doubt you want to actually read research and instead just quote Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Breitbart rather than actual scientists, so I don't think I need to bother if you can't even do the least amount of research before shooting off with bizarre, insane, and false claims.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies