Describe your state legislative district/districts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:00:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Describe your state legislative district/districts (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe your state legislative district/districts  (Read 2053 times)
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 19, 2017, 10:56:52 AM »
« edited: March 19, 2017, 12:24:12 PM by MarkD »

MO Senate District 14. Popluation according to 2010 Census: 171,753; percentage black: 60.73%. Entirely suburban. Cities than are wholly or mostly with the district: Clayton, University City, Normandy, Jennings, Ferguson, Woodson Terrace, Bridgeton, and Hazelwood. Some other important entities in the district: Lambert- St. Louis Int'l Airport; Washington Univ.; UM-St. Louis.
According to the redistricting commission's analysis of the federal and state elections of 2002 through 2010, the district was 84.2% Democratic during that decade; according to my analysis of the 2012 elections, it was 82.91% Democratic that year.
Incumbent Senator: Maria Chapelle-Nadal, who unsuccessfully challenged Congressman Lacy Clay in August, 2016. In three elections to the House - 2004, 2006, 2008 - she never had any opponents in the general elections, nor any opponents who were on the ballot in the general elections to the Senate in 2010 or 2014. A write-in candidate in 2014 got a little over 5%. Her only serious, close contests were in the Democratic Party primaries of 2004 and 2010. Because of term limits, she can't run again next year, so there will likely be a strong contest for the Democratic nomination, but no other candidates are likely going to run for the general election. The previous incumbent, Rita Days, also did not have any opponents in the general elections of 2002 or 2006.

MO Representative District 85. Population according to 2010 Census: 37,891; percentage black: 62.77%. Cities: Pine Lawn, Northwoods, Pasadena Hills (one of the most affluent black-majority cities in the country), Normandy, Bel-Nor (contains a home in which, about 68 years ago, an exorcism was performed on a boy, which inspired the book and movie The Exorcist), Bel-Ridge, parts of St. John and Overland. UM-St. Louis.
According to the redistricting commission's analysis of the elections in 2002 through 2010, the district was 85.9% Democratic during that decade. According to my analysis of 2012, it was 85.77% Democratic that year, but in 2016 it was 79.63% Democratic. There was a drop-off of nearly 19% in voter turnout comparing 2016 to 2012.
Incumbent Representative: Clem Smith; previous incumbents (in the old District 71): Esther Haywood and Don Calloway. There was a Libertarian Party candidate who ran in 2002, then no one else tried to run against Haywood, Calloway, or Smith until a Republican ran in 2016, and that Republican ended up with 18.42%.
Smith is in his last term, so he might run for the Senate, trying to replace Chapelle-Nadal.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 10:13:27 PM »
« Edited: March 19, 2017, 11:23:33 PM by MarkD »

Smith is in his last term, so he might run for the Senate, trying to replace Chapelle-Nadal.

Does he live in Senate District 14?  There didn't seem to be much overlap, with Normandy the only city you listed in both districts.  Of course, there might be some other municipalities a small part of which are in either district, and for all I know Normandy could make up a majority of the population of Clem Smith's Representative District 85.  Or you mentioned the smaller cities or towns in your Representative district description but not in your Senate district description.  Or it is a fairly small overlap between the two district, but you and Representative Smith both live there.  Just thought I'd check, though.

Yes. I'm sorry that I did not point out that about 80% of Rep. District 85 is in Senate Disrict 14. When I listed the cities in SD 14, I only mentioned some of the relatively big cities. But Pine Lawn, Northwoods, Pasadena Hills, Bel-Nor, Bel-Ridge and many other small cities/villages are common to both SD 14 and HD 85.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies