The Diocese of South Carolina Officially Decides to Join ACNA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:45:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  The Diocese of South Carolina Officially Decides to Join ACNA (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Diocese of South Carolina Officially Decides to Join ACNA  (Read 2567 times)
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 17, 2017, 07:17:50 PM »

In 2012, the Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina seceded from The Episcopal Church, mainly due to its then-presiding bishop's theological liberalism and its views on homosexuality.  Its status was in limbo, but they've now decided to join ACNA, a denomination that was formed mostly out of congregations in TEC that left their mother denomination from 2003-present due to the ordination of Gene Robinson, a man in a gay relationship, as a bishop.

http://www.postandcourier.com/features/diocese-of-south-carolina-joins-acna/article_2e5d50aa-069e-11e7-ac74-93cac51eac50.html
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 10:45:30 AM »

While I'm pleased to see conservative groups leaving the mainline churches for more orthodox groups, I have to ask, what took them so long?

Groups like TEC and PCUSA have long since lost the marks of being a true church in the classic Protestant sense of the word. The mainlines have been compromising on much more fundamental issues than gay rights for a long time. If someone like Bishop Spong in TEC or Bill Phipps in the United Church of Canada can deny the Gospel with no sanction, that ought to be a final straw.
That was always my question, too.  I know a few ACNA people, and I asked them, "Oh, so Bishop Spong can deny the Gospel and keep his job back in the early 90s, but you ordain just one gay man, and now it's the end of the world?"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies