2017 French Presidential Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:17:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2017 French Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 39
Author Topic: 2017 French Presidential Election  (Read 103784 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: April 18, 2017, 07:56:18 PM »

And it's the first time that Macron leads in this poll.

Two men have been arrested as they planed an imminent attack during the presidential elections. The candidates were advised last week. It's unclear at this point if the suspected terrorists targeted a particular candidate.

Damn, had the terrorist attack actually happened it would have been a game changer. Difficult to say who'd benefit, but I guess it'd help Le Pen and hurt Macron.

Something like that happened here in 04 and it changed the polls by around 9 points. (prediction was PP+4 result was PSOE+5 or so)

Wasn't that mostly because it turned a lot of people against the Iraq War, rather than just being a terrorist attack effect?
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #751 on: April 19, 2017, 12:49:25 AM »

Last poll Ipsos / Cevipof / Le Monde

Macron : 23% (-2 since April, 2)
Le Pen : 22.5% (-2.5)
Fillon : 19.5% (+2)
Mélenchon : 19% (+4)

Turnout : 72% (+6)

Same results than the other polls but in this one, with the large sample (8,000) the gap is outside the margin of error (1 point)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #752 on: April 19, 2017, 05:19:54 AM »

Two men have been arrested as they planed an imminent attack during the presidential elections. The candidates were advised last week. It's unclear at this point if the suspected terrorists targeted a particular candidate.

Damn, had the terrorist attack actually happened it would have been a game changer. Difficult to say who'd benefit, but I guess it'd help Le Pen and hurt Macron.

Something like that happened here in 04 and it changed the polls by around 9 points. (prediction was PP+4 result was PSOE+5 or so)

Wasn't that mostly because it turned a lot of people against the Iraq War, rather than just being a terrorist attack effect?

Correct me if I am wrong, track, but I think the reason why PP got swung by the terrorist attack was mainly because of the way they handled it too i.e blaming ETA for political gain.

Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #753 on: April 19, 2017, 05:45:23 AM »

Correct me if I am wrong, track, but I think the reason why PP got swung by the terrorist attack was mainly because of the way they handled it too i.e blaming ETA for political gain.

Exactly, the government lied and insisted in blaming ETA against all evidence. Prior the terrorist attacks polls said that around 90% was against the Iraq War, so there wasn't a lot of people left to turn against it.

Seems that French media is corrupt us well. They promote and felate Macron, because they don't want Melenchon to emerge as the left wing opposition.

No. The media have been quite nice to Mélenchon this last month. It seems that they read his platform only a week ago (to discover the Venezuela-Cuba alliance, etc.)

I guess that media was kind with Mélenchon as long as he wasn't perceived as a threat.

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #754 on: April 19, 2017, 05:45:52 AM »

Don't want to speak too soon, but it seems like the gap between the top two and Mélenchon and Fillon has stopped closing. Still close enough for the result to be uncertain
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #755 on: April 19, 2017, 06:15:39 AM »

macron looks safe again...all others are question marks.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #756 on: April 19, 2017, 09:10:02 AM »

SHOCK HORROR AS POLITICAL COMPASS DOESN'T PLACE EVERY CANDIDATE IN TOP RIGHT

still wrong obviously

My god, that's dumb. So, they're saying a candidate further to the right on economics than Macron is unthinkable, when he's running on some minor changes to FRANCE? And that Le Pen is the most authoritarian candidate one can imagine? Up there with Hitler and Stalin?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #757 on: April 19, 2017, 09:22:42 AM »

Lol political compass. Why do they put Macron to the right of Fillon on economics? Does anyone know where Macron and Fillon stand on free trade btw? That's the only area where Macron might be more right-wing than Fillon.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #758 on: April 19, 2017, 09:29:57 AM »

still wrong obviously

My god, that's dumb. So, they're saying a candidate further to the right on economics than Macron is unthinkable, when he's running on some minor changes to FRANCE? And that Le Pen is the most authoritarian candidate one can imagine? Up there with Hitler and Stalin?
Even Le Pen gets a better review because she's not a (((neoliberal)))
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #759 on: April 19, 2017, 09:46:26 AM »

still wrong obviously

It should prove once and for all that the political compass is flaming garbage.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #760 on: April 19, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »

Tracking polls

OpinionWay

Macron: 23% (=)
Le Pen: 22% (=)
Fillon: 20% (=)
Mélenchon: 19% (=)

Ifop

Macron: 23.5% (=)
Le Pen: 22.5% (=)
Fillon: 19.5% (=)
Mélenchon: 18.5% (-0.5)

Ipsos (which will work for France 2 for the election night) warns that they might not be able to announce who will be in the runoff Sunday at 8pm (when the last polls will close).

Juppé was in a campaign event this morning with Fillon. The choice of words is interesting. He said that Macron is not presidential "for the moment", he supports Fillon's platform "for the main part" (According to Le Canard Enchaîné after a Fillon's statement that an anti-gay marriage movement could be in his government Juppé declared that if it was the case, he will be in the opposition)
kyc0705

« Reply #761 on: April 19, 2017, 12:12:06 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2017, 12:15:04 PM by kyc0705 »

still wrong obviously

I also fundamentally doubt the notion that any major mainstream candidate for any national office would be on the bottom half of the chart. In particular, that's some serious projecting they're doing for Macron's economic AND social provisions. To quote JFK, back and to the left.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #762 on: April 19, 2017, 01:13:51 PM »

Can we actually post the entirety of the polls and not just MUH BIG 4 here please? Some of us are still invested in how Hamon is doing.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #763 on: April 19, 2017, 01:25:17 PM »

Can we actually post the entirety of the polls and not just MUH BIG 4 here please? Some of us are still invested in how Hamon is doing.
If you want.

BVA poll

Macron: 24% (+1)
Le Pen: 23% (+1)
Fillon: 19% (-1)
Mélenchon: 19% (-1)
Hamon: 8.5% (+1)
Dupont-Aignan: 3.5% (+0.5)
Poutou: 1.5% (=)
The others are under 1%

Second round
Macron 65%, Le Pen 35%
Macron 67%, Fillon 33%
Macron 60%, Mélenchon 40%
Fillon 57%, Le Pen 43%
Mélenchon 60%, Le Pen 40%
Mélenchon 58%, Fillon 42%

Also about Hamon, his electorate is still incredibly weak, only 50 to 60% of Hamon's voters are sure to vote for him.
For the others the certainty of the vote is now around 75% to 80%.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #764 on: April 19, 2017, 02:03:40 PM »

Thanks. Ugh.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #765 on: April 19, 2017, 02:48:38 PM »

Man, I was hoping that Assileneau surge would maintain. He was my dark horse for surprise small candidate.

Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #766 on: April 19, 2017, 03:10:27 PM »

Man, I was hoping that Assileneau surge would maintain. He was my dark horse for surprise small candidate.

I bet on Lasalle
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #767 on: April 19, 2017, 03:12:50 PM »

I bet on Lasalle

Fingers crossed!
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #768 on: April 19, 2017, 03:22:31 PM »

I bet on Lasalle

Fingers crossed!
As someone of Bearnais/French Basque descent I agree
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #769 on: April 19, 2017, 03:44:52 PM »

That man has some very dedicated supporters. Someone has glued his poster on every bridge of what seems like the entire French N road network.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #770 on: April 19, 2017, 03:53:07 PM »

I bet on Lasalle

Fingers crossed!

Tbh I'd vote for Lassalle over most of the "reasonable" candidates. He's definitely a weirdo, but he's also incredibly genuine and his proposed politices are pretty good overall.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #771 on: April 19, 2017, 03:56:52 PM »

still wrong obviously

lmao at the idea of Melenchon as a left-libertarian, he's perhaps the one modern (wester) political figure who belongs in the red quadrant.

Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #772 on: April 19, 2017, 04:08:29 PM »

Why would a country that has an opportunity of a lifetime (to elect someone like Melenchon) not take it? Makes no sense. Leftists voting for a former investment banker!?!
DL
Canada

« Reply #773 on: April 19, 2017, 04:35:19 PM »

Unless the polls in France are massively wrong - it seems to me that its almost certain that the run-off will be between Macron and LePen - the only suspense is 1. who will come in first in the first round - Macron or LePen and 2. will Melenchon overtake Fillon and drive him into a humiliating 4th place finish.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #774 on: April 19, 2017, 04:39:06 PM »

I bet on Lasalle

Fingers crossed!

Tbh I'd vote for Lassalle over most of the "reasonable" candidates. He's definitely a weirdo, but he's also incredibly genuine and his proposed politices are pretty good overall.

On that other Atlas I mentioned that I also switched my support for Lassalle, and as there are some people taking him seriously I think that this is worthy to mention. I've read his program and I agree that his policies are very nice (although in my opinion there were a little too little about foreign policy but he is kind of localist candidate so this is kind of logical).
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 39  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies