Bill Clinton's third term
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:04:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bill Clinton's third term
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Author Topic: Bill Clinton's third term  (Read 49631 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2017, 03:45:49 AM »

Summary of GOP primaries :

Due to President Clinton's high approval rating , many prominent Republicans who were expected to run in 2000 decided not to run .This included Texas Governor George W Bush , who most pundits expected would run in 2000 , and likely would be the GOP nominee if he decided to run. Due to Governor Bush not running , the GOP field was wide open .Despite the field being wide open, by the  Iowa Caucuses it became clear that the GOP primary front runners were Senator Phil Graham and Senator John McCain, and the closeness of their primary rivaled the 1976 GOP primaries and with the same result . Like in 1976 the more centrist candidate would barely beat the more conservative candidate .

Here's the map between Senator McCain and Senator Graham

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 03:03:42 PM »

So, what's the driving force of the 3rd term? No 22nd Amendment? Late 20th-century repeal of the 22nd Amendment? Clinton runs for VP & a vote for the top of the ticket is really a vote for Clinton b/c of the 20th Amendment lol??
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 03:17:39 PM »

So, what's the driving force of the 3rd term? No 22nd Amendment? Late 20th-century repeal of the 22nd Amendment? Clinton runs for VP & a vote for the top of the ticket is really a vote for Clinton b/c of the 20th Amendment lol??

Will be explained in the next post
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »

Very interesting. I wonder how Clinton would handle 9/11. Would Gore be kept for a 3rd term as VP?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 03:43:38 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2017, 03:48:37 PM by Old School Republican »

NBC election update June 8 2000:

Tom: We are getting reports from the white house, that Vice President Al Gore has been dropped from the Democratic ticket , by his own request . While the President has decided to run for a third term, which he is eligible to do so since an proposed amendment in 1952 to limit a president to two terms in office failed in the United States Senate , the vice president does not want to run again. So Tim do we know when President Clinton will name his new running mate.

Tim : Well Tom we dont know who that running mate will be or when it will be announced, but we do know that it will be one of these 4: House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt , Senator John Kerry, Senator Bob Kerrey , and Senator Tom Harkin.

Tom: Ok now NBC will turn back to regularly scheduled programming .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »

President Bill Clinton selects his running mate:

Brokaw : We have some breaking news, President Clinton has selected senator Bob Kerrey to be his running mate and is set to introduce him right now.

President Clinton: Today I am pleased to announce that Senator Bob Kerrey from Nebraska will be my running mate and the next Vice President of the United States. He has served the people of Nebraska with honor and will also serve this country with honor as well. While we are sad that Vice President Gore , will no longer be our Vice President , both he and I are confident that Senator Kerrey can be just as good of a VP as Gore is. Now it's my honor to introduce the next Vice President of the United States Bob Kerrey

Kerrey: I am honored to be selected as President Clinton's running mate , and him having faith that I can be a good Vice President. It was a great opportunity for me to work with the President in making our country better in the senate  and I hope we can continue that as a team in the white house. President Clinton in 8 years has presided over the longest period of peace and prosperity in our history and we need to make sure that we continue that into this new century . I also want to thank Vice President Al Gore who has done a fabulous job as a Vice President and I hope I can do the same . Thank you and god bless the United States of America

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 11:54:37 PM »

Tommorow McCain VP picks and both McCain and Clinton convention speeches will be up
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 04:11:01 AM »

Did anyone challenge Clinton for the nomination?
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »

Exciting timeline. Always like the concept of a clinton 3rd term
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 06:22:40 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2017, 06:45:15 PM by Old School Republican »

McCain Releases VP shortlist

AP : McCain shortlist for VP is Governor John Engler from Michigan, Governor Jeb Bush from Florida , and Governor Tommy Thomason from Wisconsin . We also know he will introduce his running mate next week in the home state of his vp pick .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 06:23:42 PM »

Did anyone challenge Clinton for the nomination?

Bradley did but he does even worse then OTL so Clinton didnt have a serious primary opponent.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 05:37:37 PM »

Senator McCain selects his running mate

Brokaw: We have some breaking news, Senator John McCain, has selected Florida Governor Jeb Bush to be his running mate. Now lets head to Miami, Florida  and see his introduction.

McCain: Today , I have made one of the most important decisions a candidate can make, selecting a Vice President. I have chosen Governor Jeb to be my running mate. Bush as governor was able to do what our country needs, reform our education system to bring accountability in our schools and to make sure our children are successful. He also implemented tax and spending cuts in the state of Florida , bringing Fiscal Discipline to the state. So it is my high honor for me to introduce my running mate, and hopefully the next Vice President of the United states Jeb Bush.

Bush: I am honored to have this opportunity to  be your running mate Senator McCain, and I promise the people that I will not let you down if you elect me as your next Vice President. Over the past 8 years, we have had an administration, which has been riding this historic time of peace and prosperity to not make a single change our country needs. I want to ask the American people , has this administration implemented any policies which will make sure our economy continues to grow even when this tech bubble pops, has this administration implemented any policies to make sure our country is prepared for a future conflict. The answer to both those questions is no, and we must not take that risk. It is time for a new direction, and Senator John McCain will bring us that change. Thank you and may god bless America.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 03:26:19 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2017, 03:40:43 AM by Old School Republican »

Excerpts from McCain RNC speech:

I am humbled here tonight , for this great party to have nominated me to be their presidential nominee and I accept their nomination.  I promise the American people that I will bring a new beginning for this country if elected , in which we finally will end the partisan divide which plagued Washington in the 1990s and come together to solve the issues plaguing the American people: whether it is our broken campaign finance system while allow wealthy donors to buy out our politicians, whether it is our seniors not able to afford prescription drugs  due to it not being included in Medicare, whether it is our failed education system which puts many kids who live in bad neighborhoods a disadvantage we can not solve these problems unless we come together.

President Clinton has had 8 years to solve these issues , but instead of working to solve these issues he has been riding an economic boom due to the rise of the internet and other tech companies , and peace overseas due to  the end of the cold war to hide the fact he hasnt delivered what he promised to the people, and has seen our country get more divided under his presidency. If you remember President Reagan in the 1980s worked with both parties to reform our tax system which had been broken beyond reproach and fixed it, along with fixing this countries economy . President Reagan just like President Clinton , had the opposite party control the congress , but unlike Clinton he still managed to deliver on his promises .

Overseas , President Clinton has once again shown indecisiveness whether it was in Somalia, Rwanda,Iraq, or Kosovo his resulted in many innocent casualties  what could have been avoided . I promise that when I am president we will , make sure our adversities know that they can not mess with America or disturb the world order or they will face  consequences , just like how Iraq received consequences after the Gulf War. We will let our allies know that our nation will help lead the world again , and will not allow the world order to be damaged . God Bless you and may god bless the United States of America.

Poll after RNC convention :

Senator John McCain/Governor Jeb Bush  49%
President Bill Clinton / Senator Bob Kerrey 47%

The GOP got a 7 point convention bounce going from a 5 point deficit to 2 point lead after the convention

Polling state by state:

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 03:11:09 PM »
« Edited: March 28, 2017, 03:17:19 PM by Old School Republican »

Excerpts from Bill Clinton DNC speech:

Thank you for the warm welcome, and thank you for giving me the chance for being your nominee a 3rd time. Over the past 8 years our country has made a lot of progress , and those include: reducing our poverty rate to the lowest it has been in 3 decades, 23 million new jobs being created, and turning record deficits into record surpluses . The Republicans claim that our economic numbers our misleading , as they inherited a worse problem in the early 80s and 8 years later our economy was in good shape as well. While that's true , they forgot to point out one fact, that the economic growth of the 1980s was in large parts due to them running up our nation's national debt, and sacrificing the future for success in the short term, while the economic growth over the past 8 years coincided with us getting rid of our nation's budget deficits, and replacing them with record surpluses.

Now while our country ended the 20th century on a high note, we must make sure that we start this new century on a high note as well. Do do that we must make sure that we continue to pay down our national debt, continue the economic growth of the 1990s , and use this chance to reform medicare so our seniors can afford prescription drugs. This is why I have decided to run for a third term, as it is critical these things happen.

The Republican nominee claims that we have divided the country, but refuses to blame the people actually responsible for the divide: the Republican leaders in the house. It was not democrats who shutdown our government, or pushed impeached for partisan reasons , it was the Republican leadership in the house.  He also claims that we refused to republicans in our time here, and that is totally false .  Our administration worked with Republicans: to reform our welfare system, cut taxes for middle class families, and to finally reverse the trend of crime increasing year after year. In reality we have been one of the most bipartisan administrations in history and we will ask Senator McCain to retract that statement. Thank you and may god bless this country.

Polls after DNC convention :

President Bill Clinton/Senator Bob Kerrey 51%
Senator John McCain/Governor Jeb Bush 47%

State by state polls:

AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 07:25:00 PM »

Great timeline. Keep it up!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2017, 01:51:37 AM »

Keys for McCain and Clinton entering the first debate:

Tim: Things do not look good in the McCain camp right now, as President Clinton as been able to build up on the momentum he got at the DNC , while McCain has not been able to regain the momentum they had during the months leading up to the RNC and the RNC it self. If McCain wants to regain the momentum he must not only win this debate he must do so decisively.

Tom: Some ways I believe Senator McCain can do that is to talk about his record of being a maverick and his willingness to work across the isle to solve issues . Also  McCain must explain that why unlike President Clinton he will able to reform education successfully, cover prescription  drugs under medicare, and how Clinton has not prepared the country to deal with crises.

Tim : Clinton on the other hand ,he just needs to do is bring up his economic record and blame the GOP house for the divide in Washington.  If he does that Clinton will  very likely be president for 4 more years , if not he may have a chance to lose this election.

Polls before first debate:

National:

Clinton/Kerrey 53.5%
McCain/Bush  45.7%

State by state:

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 09:54:47 PM »
« Edited: April 03, 2017, 11:15:13 PM by Old School Republican »

First Debate summary:

Tim Russert: Now lets see some of the key highlights in this debate , which an overwhelming number of our analysts and according to the polls the people think McCain won easily.

Highlights:

Jim: Senator McCain throughout his campaign has accused the current administration of being too divisive , and says you have divided Washington too much, what do you have too say to that accusation.

President Clinton: While Senator McCain is right that Washington has become too divided over the last 8 years, he puts the blame on the wrong party, the real people who have divided Washington was the Republican house leadership who shutdown our government and pushed through an impeachment on partisan lines.Also the idea that we have not been bipartisan is crazy, our administration has worked with the Republicans to reform welfare, cut taxes for middle class families , and remove some of the unnecessary regulations impacting our economy.

Senator McCain: President Clinton, part of the reason the GOP won the house in 1994 , was on your failure to meet your campaign promises of reforming our healthcare system , due to you pushing a reform that most of the country did not want, and even many members of your own party did not wants. Also I want the president to remember that he vetoed welfare reform twice, and only when welfare reform passed with a veto proof majority did you sign the bill. Also a huge reason for the government shutdown was you vetoing the bill that would have kept the government open, so while it is fair to blame the house you were also to blame.

Clinton: Those bills I vetoed were rammed through congress on partisan matters and my veto made it more bipartisian.

McCain: Which isnt much different then what you did in regards to Taxes , Guns , and attempted to do on healthcare , so Clinton both you and the house leadership at the time are to blame .

Important moment number 2:

Jim: Senator McCain, you have repeatedly claimed that Clinton failed to solve the important problems in this country such as prescription drugs and education. Why do you think he failed , and why do you think you would do a better job.

McCain: One of the big reasons Clinton failed was that he spend most of the last 4 years on cruise control, riding the tech boom out. President Clinton over the past 4 years, makes small tweaks to the economy and then uses this countries prosperity to mask that he has failed to reform medicare so seniors can afford healthcare , and make our education system better. What I would do instead is I would have meetings with leaders of both parties in congress and numbers of health professionals and educators to find out what are the main reasons we have these problems , and some obstacles reforming them will take. Lastly I will fight to reform our campaign finance system so big lobbyists cant buy out our politicians to stop these reforms , or make the reforms favorable to them .

Clinton: The idea that I have been on cruise control over the past 4 years is misleading cause, 18 months of the past 4 years was spent on trying to get rid of me instead of solving these problems , and the last 6 months legislation has been slow due to to campaign. I have fought to solve these problems and if you give me 4 more years I will solve these problems.

McCain: Well in 1992 you told the American people you should elect me instead of reelecting President Bush cause I will add prescription drug coverage to medicare, and I will reform our education system, and in 1996 you said the reasons I havent met those promises  is one term is not enough to fix our nation's problems, and if you give me one more term I will fix them. Now you are saying the last 4 years Washington has been too divided to fix these problems, so if you give me 4 more years I will fix it.  Well President Clinton , the people are tired of excuses and as President Truman once said : the buck stops here,  for you it is the Buck stops anywhere but here.

Important Moment 3 :

Jim : President Clinton, the Republicans claim that your record on the economy is not as good as you make it sound as President Reagan did the same thing in the 1980s.

Clinton: President Reagan did not have the same economic record as I did as during his term a little more then 16 million jobs were created while under mine we created more then 22 million jobs. Also in the 1980s ,the Republicans sacrificed the future for short term success by tripling our national debt while I not only had short term success , we made prospects for future generations look better by running a surplus.

McCain: President Clinton facts are misleading , as he forgets to point out that President Reagan inherited double digit inflation , double digit interest rates ,high unemployment , and the worst recession since the depression to go along with that. This caused our economy to be in bad shape until 1983 when President Reagan policies finally kicked in and our economy then took off during the remaining 5 years of his administration . In comparison , when you took office our economy had already started to grow in 1992 which was before you took office, and unlike you President Reagan did not have a tech boom and had to deal with a foreign crises known as the cold war while you didnt need to deal with any. So those are the reasons why you saying your record on the economy is one of the best in US history is misleading.

Clinton: The fact is Republicans more then tripled our deficit in the 1980s while we ran budget surpluses, so the fact is Republican economics is to sacrifice to long term for the short term while ours is to think about the future as well.

McCain: I would want a quick reply

Leher: All right one last response

McCain: If we didnt need to deal with the cold war in the 1980s , we would not have had such high deficts, and if we were still dealing with the cold war now we would not have surpluses. The fact is the economic polices put in place in the 1980s along with the fall of the USSR allowed us to finally cut spending in this decade which we wouldnt have had if we still were stuck in the staflationary economy of the 1970s or were still dealing with the Soviets.

National Polling after debate:

Clinton/Kerrey: 48.8%
McCain/Bush :48.5%

State by state polling:

Tim: Looking at the polling it looks like this debate will make this election a repeat of 1960 instead of 1996 the Clinton camp was hoping to make this election.

Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 07:34:32 AM »

I like this McCain better
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 09:10:21 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2017, 11:27:04 PM by Old School Republican »

Vice Presidential Debate Summary

Tim: Now lets look at the the highlights at this debate which are analysts believe was a tie

Important Moment One:

Bernard Shaw: Governor Bush , you reformed the education system in your state last year and claim that gives you experience to help you implement education reform nationwide. One thing different nationwide is that, there are a wide array of problems in the education system in many communities across the nation then there were in your state so how would you help Senator McCain deal with those.

Bush: While it is true that there are many different problems nationwide what werent there in Florida that doesn't mean my experience in getting reform passed in Florida wont help.One thing we will do is that Senator McCain will and I will call all 50 states secretary of education to one and find out some common problems between the states and address those issues first.

Second we will find out what cities schools are failing our nation's youth the most and inform the cities that unless you reverse that trend there will be consequences from the state governments and the federal government placed on your city then other cities. One consequence is that your schools will have more oversights then schools from other cities.

Lastly is we will require all states to set common standards between all their schools in their state , so when a kid finishes a class no matter which school that kid will leave that class with basic knowledge about that class. This doesnt mean the state will control what textbooks a school decides to use , or how that topic is taught , that accusation is wrong. An example of what it will do is , a kid who finished Freshman Algebra in their high school will have been taught how to solve linear and quadratic equations . It doenst mean the state will tell the schools how we should teach kids linear equations but it does require them to teach it.

Shaw: Seantor Kerrey your response

Kerrey: What the governor said is great and nice sounding in theory but it wont work. For example Governor Bush just said we will set common standards like requiring kids in high school algebra to be taught linear and quadratic equations , as if a High school algebra class doesnt teach linear and quadratic equations. The problem is how they are taught, and in many inner city schools which are not funded properly many topics are just not taught the correct way. What the federal government must do is to give incentives for teachers to work in inner city schools , such as increasing how much they are paid , or giving them a smaller class to deal with so they can meet the individual student need better. If you do that we would have good teachers going to our struggling schools instead of fleeing them . Instead to enforce your education policy you will have to have nationwide state wide testing , which will result in kids learning how to pass a test instead of learning the material.

Bush: If they can pass a test they will have likely learned the material Senator Kerrey.

Important moment number two:

Shaw: Governor Bush why do you believe Senator McCain and your self would deal with national emergencies such as a war or an economic recession better then President Clinton and Senator Kerrey .

Bush: First is unlike the Clinton administration , Senator McCain will put in policies that prepare our country for those emergencies better then the other. Senator McCain has claimed that on day one he will propose economic reforms such as middle class tax cuts to prepare our country to deal with a recession when the tech bubble bursts. Also Senator McCain will rebuild our military , and make sure they have the tools do deal with either a conventional war like or deal with Guerilla Warfare so we dont ever have another Vietnam.

Shaw: Senator Kerrey same question to you

Kerrey: I believe President Clinton would deal better with crises cause he has dealt with them before and effectively .  Clinton entered office with a recession which was taking our country longer time then normal to recover from due to the Republicans quadrupling the national debt in the 12 years they were in office, and he turned it into the largest economic boom in our history . During the Asian Financial Crises Clinton''s leadership helped our country avoid falling into a recession it surly could have. Lastly Clinton has also dealt with a foreign policy crises in Kosovo when he stopped a genocide from happening and got rid of Milosevic with almost no US fatalities . So the reason Clinton would be the better president to deal with crises is he has dealt with them before.

Bush: Kerrey is forgetting that under Clinton one of the greatest war crimes occurred  in Rwanda and they did nothing.

Kerrey: Clinton regrets his actions in Rwanda, and thats why when a similar thing happened in Kosovo he stopped it before it happened again . A good leader learns from failures and makes sure they dont happen again and President Clinton did exactly that.

Polls:Nothing changed except we are now moving Georgia into Senator McCain column
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 09:56:13 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2017, 10:24:55 PM by Old School Republican »

2nd Debate Highlights:

2nd debate stage set up

Brokow: Another debate and this one is a tie
Three most important moments:

Jim: Senator McCain you have criticized President Clinton foreign policy , calling it reckless and simply the wrong policy. Why do you feel so

McCain: One is that President Clinton has greatly downsized our military , which has greatly diminished our ability to fight wars if we are ever involved in one. Then he has been very inconsistent of when he will use force to deal with issues around the world, as he withdrew our troops from Somalia then failed to stop the Rwandan Genocide, and lastly allows Suddam Hussain to skate the terms of his surrender agreement over and over again. This is the reason this terrible conflict in kosovo happened as Milosevic believed that Clinton wouldnt respond no matter how egregious his crimes were. My hero Teddy Roosevelt once said speak softly and carry a big stick , which means that we wont start any wars but we will be prepared to soundly defeat our enemies in a war if they attack us or threaten peace around the world.  

Clinton: I just want to  remind the Senator that our administration has presided over the longest peace and prosperity in our nation's history.

McCain: That was due to the Cold War ending

Clinton: The reason is that we have responded effectively around the world. Rwanda was a failure and thats why we learned from it and made sure the same thing didnt get repeated in Kosovo , which any good leader does. In 1998 when Suddam kicked out the inspectors our administration conducted an devastating air campaign to destroy the potential  WMD sites in Iraq  , by the while the Republican congress was focused on impeaching me. Lastly by the way , the reduction in the size of our military started under President Bush's presidency not mine, and it was supported by both parties due to the cold war being over .

McCain: At the end of WW1 the world made a decision to disarm thinking after winning that war, there should be no reason to remain strong. Well that turned out to be disastrous as during that time the Nazis and the Japanese Empire grew stronger and stronger and that eveuntully lead to World War Two the deadliest war in our history . We must make sure not to repeat that same mistake and remain vigilant  at all times.

Clinton: Senator McCain , even after the cuts our military is still by far the strongest in the world and we intend to keep it that way. We are not cutting back as we did in the inter war period and we have not appeased our enemies again . Instead we have dealt with them over and over again.

2nd important point:

Leher: Senator McCain , you have said unlike President Clinton you can reform medicare and reform education. How will you do it?

McCain: What I will do is I will invite the leadership of both parties individually and find out what there plans are to reform medicare is so it can cover prescription drugs, and using all their plans come up with a bipartisan plan and get it passed through congress. For education reform , I will have our next Vice President Jeb Bush along with the next secretary of education tour the country and find out all the problems we are having in one area compared to the other. If we find a common problem we will deal with that problem directly , if not we will give cities and state incentives to fix that problem by themselves.

Clinton: Senator McCain , I have done exactly what you propose to do, multiple times , its just that the GOP leadership in congress does not want to reform medicare . So Senator McCain , there is just no way you can reform medicare unless you get the gop leadership to budge.

McCain: Mr.President the american people are tired of these excuses of you blaming congress. You blame congress for not fixing this issue, but on the economy you take all the credit while not taking into account that it was congress who cut spending, reformed welfare, and cut regulations.

Jim: Ok on to the next point:

Important moment 3:

Jim: Many times a presidential administration has to deal with crises and issues which were not issues on the campaign trail. How would both of you deal with one better then the other, first to you President Clinton

Clinton: Well I will be better prepared cause I have dealt with them. An example was Kosovo which could have turned into a genocide if we did nothing, and we stopped it before it was too late. On the economic front I believe I will be prepared for a potential recession because our administration inherited one when we took office, and we turned a recession into the longest boom in our history without having the deficit skyrocket like it did in the 1980s.

McCain: It is cause I will make sure to prepare our country for a potential war or recession before they hit. If we are prepared , the crises we face wont be that hard to deal with as it will be if we dont prepare. That starts with rebuilding American forces, cutting taxes for middle class and poor families so they have more money in their pockets if a recession hits.

Clinton: Senator McCain our military is prepared for war, as they proved in Kosovo when we removed Milosevic with minimal casualties and they dealt with Suddam WMD without having to invade Iraq . Senator McCain , you keep making accusations that you wish were true but arent.

McCain: President Clinton , defeating Milosevic doesnt mean we are prepared for war with a hostile nation.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2017, 10:36:11 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2017, 01:05:37 AM by Old School Republican »

Polls after debate (Clinton and McCain tied)Sad

Brokow : Our new NBC polls show a tie nationally and electorally .

National Polls:

President Clinton/ Senator Bob Kerrey 48.7%
Senator McCain/Governor Jeb Bush  48.7%

State By state Polls:

Clinton 205
McCain 200
Tossup 133

Tim: It looks likely that we may have our closest election since 1916. Though with the last  debate being the town hall format Clinton usually does well in , he still is the favorite to win the election.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 02:31:23 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2018, 03:49:14 AM by Old School Republican »

Clinton wins Third Debate :

Tom Brokow: Clinton took advantage of the town hall type debates and won now lets look at the three most important moments at the debate:

Important moment one:

Audience Member: Senator McCain ,  I am a father who is going to see my son go to college next year, but I am worried that without our family going into debt  it wont be possible to send my son to college, due to the fact that we also have to pay for our home mortgage , pay for health insurance, pay a lot in state and federal taxes and we also like to spend money on leisure as well. So what will be your plan to help working families like me in this country.

McCain: Mr.(Whoever the guy's last name was ) I want to thank you for this question. Yes while the economy has improved over the last decade a lot of the additional income our citizens have gotten has gone to taxes. My tax plan will give 98% of Americans a tax cut, so they have more disposable income. My tax plan will also exempt wage raises up to 4,000 dollars so people who work hard to get a raise or a promotion are not penalized by having to pay more in taxes.

Clinton: Mr.(Whoever the guy's last name was) I want to congratulate you for wanting to help your son pay for college. Over the past 8 years my administration has expanded college opportunity and accessibility more then any other administration since Truman. One of the reasons I ran for a third term is to finish much of the things that we implemented over the past 8 years. One of those things is college accessibility,and in the beginning of my next term I will propose is that up to 10 thousand dollars of college costs will be deducted for you taxes which means if your current taxable income is 55,000 it will be 45,000 thousand the next year which means you will have an extra 2,800 dollars in disposable income. Also I will increase funding for federal scholarships so most people have access to getting them.

Leher: McCain do you have a rebuttal

McCain: President Clinton while your tax plan saves the average working family 2,800 dollars my plan will save the average person more then that as I will lower their rate from 28% to 23% and lower the lower bracket from 15% to 10%. This will save the average family more then President Clinton's plan.

Clinton: Senator McCain plan also would get rid of many deductions , that help the average family, and also he opposes expanding the federal scholarship program.

Important moment 2:

Audience member two: Hello , I want to too know how both of you would make sure social secuirty stays solvent , so 30 years from now when i reach retirement age I will get the social security money I was promised .

Leher: President Clinton you first

Clinton: Mrs.(Whoever the Audience member is), my plan is to get a law passed through congress which , prohibits the federal government to use money from the social security trust fund to fund other programs. Also I propose to use our surplus on keeping social security solvent. I unlike McCain do not support privatization, and I wont raise your payroll tax.

McCain: Me and President Clinton agree mostly on this issue, and no I do not support privatization, I support allowing a person choose if they want to spend some of their money on private accounts. The main question is how can we get it done, and in my opinion there is no way to get it done with the current atmosphere in Washington , and the only way to get it done is to change the way Washington works.

Clinton: In 1998 I proposed these same reforms to social security and instead our congress spent that whole year focused on trying to impeach me rather then focusing on the issues what matter to the people. Yes we do need a change and that change is to elect Democrats to the House of Representatives.

McCain: Again you blame all your failures on congress but take all the credit for the success .

Clinton: No thats no true , I have repeatedly congratulated congress when they pass bipartisan bills, and you can read the transcripts of my remarks when I sign those bills.

Third Important Point:

Audience Member: While stats show crime declined in the 1990s , I have family members who live in Detroit , and they say despite the situation improving , they dont feel it has improved to a point that they can go outside without the fear of being a victim of crime or their kids being

Leher : President Clinton

Clinton: I understand your families fear Mrs.(Whoever this person last name is) , and it is a tragedy that people have to continue to live like this in today's world. Thats why over the past 8 years, we  put thousands of more police on the street, we dramatically increased penalties for felons, took guns away from violent offenders , and banned assault rifles . In my opinion to make cities like detroit safer is first strengthen gun background checks,  put more highly specially  trained police in high crime areas and lastly make our economy even better as when the economy does well crime falls. One thing we cant do is to allow those gun regulations to expire, and cut police pay because right wing governors dont want to pay their public employees a good wage.

McCain: While the progress of the last 8 years is good it needs to be better . One part we have not addressed is the breakdown of traditional values such as growing up in a stable house and community. To be able to reverse that we must start , when the kids our in elementary school and they must be taught things such as respecting others, hard work , saying no to drugs , and learing discipline. Parents also must take part as while schools can teach them these things , there is no better teacher then the child's mom or dad.  

Clinton: Senator McCain , we have already started to implement them in our schools , but only going of your solution would take at least 18 years for the problem to be fixed. Senator McCain as a senator you voted against the brady bill which helped deny guns to our most violent offenders . That bill had a large part to do with violent crime going down as violent criminals were denied a weapon to inflict more damage on their streets. I have a question for you Senator McCain, if you were to become president, and congress sent a bill to you repealing the brady bill would you sign it, veto it .

McCain : Depends on what is in the bill

Clinton: Then tell us in which circumstances would you sign that bill.

McCain: Well I dont know the details yet, but I would sign it under the conditions that it lengthens prison sentences for violent criminals , and puts more police on the street.

Clinton: Well Senator McCain , our administration has already done that, so what you are saying is yes you would repeal the Brady Bill , which makes it much harder for violent criminals to get a gun.

Leher: Ok we are going to move on

Brokow : With this debate President Clinton probably stopped the momentum of the McCain camp and will have regained the front runner status.

Polls after debate :

Clinton/Kerrey 49.5%
McCain/Bush    48%

State by state polls:

Clinton 221
McCain 190
Tossup 127

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 01:49:24 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2017, 12:20:17 PM by Old School Republican »

NBC Nightly News 11/6/00:

Brokow: Both President Clinton, and Senator McCain have aggressively campaigned all over the Midwest, and the border states over the past couple weeks  hoping to win those states come election day. They have done interviews with local tv stations in each state they campaigned in  , and running a flurry of ads hoping to swing those voters into each of their camps. Bill Clinton and Bob Kerrey will end their campaigns with a rally in Nebraska tomorrow morning before they fly back to Arkansas to await the results  . Senator McCain and Governor Bush will end their campaigns in New Mexico before heading to Arizona to await the results. The final polls show Clinton ahead by a little more then 2 points  nationally

National Polls:

Clinton/Kerrey 50.5%
McCain/Bush 48.4%

Now here our the state by state polls

Clinton 232
McCain 203
Tossup 103

Ok now lets head to Tim Russert who will outline the  path to victory for both camps

Russert: Ok these are the likely paths for vicotry for President Clinton and Senator McCain
Clinton Path:

Right now the polls show President Clinton only 38 electoral votes shy of winning this election. What Clinton must do is win Missouri as that is out of all the remaining battle ground states is the most likely to go dem. If Clinton cannot win Missouri he will likely have lost the election. So if you add 11 from Missouri he will have 243 electoral votes just 27 short. The easiest path Clinton would have after that is to then win Pennsylvania which would put him just 4 short , then win Nebraska and then all he needs is one more battle ground to win it all.

McCain path:

McCain is 77 short currently so the path for him is much harder. One thing Senator McCain must do for sure is win Ohio as that is a state that no Republican has ever won the white house without. That puts McCain at 224 electoral, 46 still short of the magic number. Then he must win Michigan as if he doesnt win Michigan he will likely have lost PA to meaning Clinton wins this election. Despite this he is still 28 electoral votes short which shows you how hard is path will be if he wants to win.With Missouri McCain a state that is the hardest out of all the battle grounds for McCain to win lets give Missouri to Clinton.   That puts the electoral college 243-242 , and this is why Pennsylvania is so important as if Clinton wins Pennsylvania , McCain will have to win all the remaining tossups states with the exception of Nebraska to win this election. With Pennsylvania , its much easier for McCain to win.

Nightmare scenario:

For the sake lets assign Ohio,and Michigan to McCain, and Missouri to Clinton . This puts the electoral college count to 243-242 favoring the President. Now lets assign Pennsylvania, and New Hampshire  to McCain  and the remaining battlegrounds to Clinton. That puts the electoral college count at 269-269, and the election gets thrown to congress. Now due to the fact that there are 4 new independents competitive in house races, that brings up the possibility that neither party will have a majority in the house next year. This means that a backroom deal may have to be cut for one candidate to win the house delegations vote.

States that Clinton must win if he wants to win this election: All the non battle ground states leaning or solidly dem, and Missouri

States that McCain must win if he wants to win this election: All the non battle ground states leaning or solidly gop, Ohio,Michigan,and New Hampshire

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 08:10:55 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2018, 03:49:29 AM by Old School Republican »

NBC NEWS- Decision 2000(Hour one):

NBC decision 2000 theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAvbyDi0I_c

6:00:

Brokaw : With polls closing in parts of two states, NBC news can project that the state of Indiana as been won by Senator McCain and the state of Kentucky is too close to call. Join NBC news back at 7:00 when we will provide full coverage of the election

Senator John McCain/Governor Jeb Bush 12
President Bill Clinton/Senator Bob Kerrey 0

7:00
NBC decision 2000 theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAvbyDi0I_c

From NBC news , Decision Night 2000, here is Tom Brokow and Tim Russert

Brokaw: Welcome to this decision 2000 NBC news special, its 7:00 in the east and NBC news is ready to make these projections.

Vermont - We are projecting that Vermont and it's 3 electoral votes have been won by President Clinton. Indiana - We have already projected that this state's 12 electoral votes have been won by Senator McCain. South Carolina- We are projecting that South Carolina and it's 8 electoral votes have been won by Senator McCain. Kentucky , Florida, Georgia , New Hampshire and Virginia are all too close to call .

McCain 20
Clinton 3.

Russert: No surprise at the projections , but looking at the early numbers show from Florida, New Hampshire, and Kentucky show that  we may be in for a long night.

Tom : Indeed

7:30

Brokaw: The polls have closed in 3 more states and we are ready to make a projection, West Virginia a solidly democratic state since the days of Roosevelt will remain in the Democratic column tonight. We can also project that Virginia a state that has been Republican in every election since 1952 with the exception of 1964 will stay Republican.

McCain 33
Clinton 8

Brokaw: Once again no surprise

Russert: Again from the states we have called it isnt a surprise , but I want to just show you our exit polls from Ohio.

When we asked this question, are you satisfied with the direction this country has gone over the past 8 years 65% say yes and 35% say no. Out of the people who say no a little more then 70 percent say they voted for Senator McCain while people who say yes 27% of them voted for the President . If you do the math that puts Ohio difference between the two less then once percentage point.

Brokaw: Its close indeed an If ohio is that close that means Pennsylvania will also be similarly close as they have been similar in their polling data during the campaign.

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 08:34:48 PM »

Please keep it up!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies