Bill Clinton's third term
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:50:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bill Clinton's third term
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Author Topic: Bill Clinton's third term  (Read 49792 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
« edited: November 14, 2018, 09:50:38 PM by Old School Republican »

NBC NEWS- Decision 2000(Hour Two):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAvbyDi0I_c

8:00

Brokaw: It's 8 pm in the east and NBC news can make projection in these states

The state of Florida and it's 25 electoral votes have been won by Senator McCain,North Carolina and its 14 electoral votes have been won by Senator McCain, Connecticut and its 8 electoral votes have been won by President Clinton,Delaware and its 3 electoral votes have been won by President Clinton the District of Columbia and its 3 electoral votes have been won by President Clinton , Illinois and it's 22 electoral votes have been won by President Clinton , Kansas as been won by Senator McCain, Maine 1st District has been won by President Clinton , Maryland and has been won by President Clinton, Massachusetts has been won by President Clinton , Mississippi has been won by Senator McCain, New Jersey has been won by the President , and Oklahoma and Texas have been won by McCain.

McCain 111
Clinton 82

Russert: This shows you how close this election is, as in the last two elections the gop didnt get past 100 electoral votes until Clinton had already won the election, and in the 1980s the Dems best performance was in 1988 when they won 112 electoral votes just one more then Senator McCain has currently .

Brokaw: I remember that in 1976 , that  John Chancellor and I were not able to call the election for Carter till 3:30 am the next day. Since that election , every election I have covered has been a landslide for the winner.

Russert: The exit poll in Michigan and Pennsylvania are similar to Ohio and looking at these numbers it possible that this election be decided by whomever wins two of these 3 states.

8:30

Brokaw: The polls have closed in President Clinton's home state and we are able to project that Arkansas will be won by President Clinton tonight. We are also able to project that Alabama will be won by Senator McCain.

McCain 120
Clinton 88

Brokaw: Ok we will now turn to your local stations , so you can get the results of your local elections. We will be back in half and hour.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 09:31:14 PM »

NBC News- Decision 2000(Hour Three)

Brokow: It now 9 in the east and NBC news is ready to make projections in these states.

Arizona and its 8  electoral votes have been won by Senator McCain, New York and its 33 electoral votes have been won by President Clinton,Maine has been won by President Clinton ,Nebraska's 3rd district has been won by Senator McCain  North Dakota and its 3 electoral votes have been won by Senator McCain, Rhode Island and its 4 electoral votes have been won by President Clinton , South Dakota and it's 3 electoral votes have been won by Senator McCain and so has Wyoming .

McCain 152
Clinton 127

Russert: So far there have been no surprises , and right now it looks like both camps most realistic shot of victory is to go through the path to 270 i outlined for them yesterday.

Brokaw: Yup and now lets go to our Presidential historian Doris Goodwin for her reaction so far

Goodwin: So far this election has been close, and it shouldnt be this way. With the economy this good this election should have been like 1988 where despite their being party fatigue things are going well enough to give a healthy reelection to the incumbent even though then it was the Vice President . This election seems to be like 1960 an election Nixon should have won handily seeing how good things were but JFK ran a great campaign and narrowly won.

Brokaw: Yah 2000 may turn into another surprise like 1960

9:45: 

Brokaw: NBC news will now make another projection, Minnesota and its 10 electoral votes will be  won President Clinton, and Georgia and its 13 electoral votes will be won by Senator McCain

McCain 165
Clinton 137

Russert: McCain pick of Jeb Bush has worked out amazingly for him as not only did he win Florida for McCain , it seems like he has helped him win in Georgia as well, and given him a lead so far in Tennessee.

Brokaw: Some other reasons I believe for McCain performance in the south was his massive victory in the first debate, him touting morals and family values in his education plan and anti crime plan . Also Clinton being perceived as anti gun may have helped as well.

Russert: Even if the Dems win this election I believe the dems have a lot to worry in 2004 as if either Bush is the nominee they will likely sweep the entire south ,and the border states against whom ever the the dems run and that means they wont even need states like Michigan and Pennsylvania, Ohio would put them over the top.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 12:36:15 AM »
« Edited: April 18, 2017, 12:40:13 AM by Old School Republican »

NBC News - Decision 2000(Hour Four)

10:00

Brokaw: It's 10 in the east and we are still a long way away from finding out who won this election. Though we are getting closer and closer to finding out as NBC is ready to make a a few more projections,

NBC news can now project that Senator McCain has won New Hampshire , Idaho and Utah ,while President Clinton has won Nebraska 2nd district and Missouri . With those states Senator McCain has already passed the totals of former president Bush in 1992 and Bob Dole in 1996.

McCain 178
Clinton 149

Russert: Ok we have two guests who will be joining us , Texas Governor George W Bush, and Vice President Al Gore. First to you ,Mr . Vice President, how surprised are you at the fact that Senator McCain is leading at this stage.

Gore: Well since the polls showed this race was going to be close Im not surprised since all the gop big states have come in while Cali hasnt come in for us yet. So far nothing has been a surprise so far, and If that continues and we hold the lead we have  in Pennsylvania ,Nebraska and Louisiana, Bill Clinton will win a third term.

Russert: Governor Bush are you surprised McCain is doing so well

Bush: No cause McCain has run an amazing campaign , and so has my brother Jeb Bush and the fact that they were able to make this election so close is amazing as conventional wisdom at the beginning of this year was this was going to be a repeat of 1988 and not 1960 .

Russert: Governor Bush do you think the McCain camp can win without Pennsylvania .

Bush : Yes I believe we can as you showed yesterday even if Clinton won Pennsylvania , He would still only have 266 electoral votes which is 4 short of victory and I believe we can win all the rest of the swing states, and even if we lose Nebraska we still eke out a 270-268 win.

Brokaw: Stand by we have another projection , we can project that President Clinton has won the state of Wisconsin while Senator McCain wins Tennessee.

McCain 189
Clinton 160

Russert: How do you feel that President Clinton lost your home state

Gore: Well we always knew Tennessee would be tough as we narrowly won there twice in much bigger wins .

Russert: How do you believe both Clinton and McCain would be able to get anything done if they win

Bush: Well I think Senator McCain would definitely bring this country together , as he has always proven that he puts country over party.In divided times that's what needed, and as Senator McCain told on the campaign trail he will work tirelessly to find common ground between both parties.

Gore: Cause Clinton has been through worse, remember in 1994 the Republicans won a landslide victory in the midterms that year , and everyone thought that Clinton would get nothing done as the GOP had a mandate to stop him, well guess what he got stuff done anyway.

Russert: Thanks for joining us Governor Bush and Vice President Gore, and we will be back right after this.

10:37:

Brokaw : We can now project that Colorado has gone to Senator McCain while Iowa has gone to President Clinton

McCain 197
Clinton 167

Brokaw: Now lets head over to see what the important senate races were

Russert: So for this evening the Democrats have picked up 4 Senate seats: Delaware, Minnesota, Missouri , and Florida while GOP picked up two in Nevada and Virginia . Right now it seems like Washington will be a pickup for the dems and the Senate races in Montana and Michigan will decide who takes control , along with whomever becomes vp. Also in the house an indie won and dems so far have made a gain in 3 seats so its possible for neither party to win a majority

Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 06:22:30 AM »

I think McCain is gonna win.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 05:09:17 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2017, 06:02:32 PM by Old School Republican »

Cali is not been called and PA is lead by clinton
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 06:58:19 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2017, 06:14:38 PM by Old School Republican »

NBC News-Decision 2000(Hour 5)

11:00:

Brokaw: The polls have just closed in the West coast and NBC news is ready to make some more big projections.

California the largest state in the Union's and it's 54 electoral votes have been won by President Clinton, and Hawaii and it's 4 electoral votes will be also won by President Clinton. NBC news is also ready to turn Montana and Nevada from the too close to call column to Senator McCain's column as he has won those states. Due to California , Clinton will lead in the electoral college count for the first time tonight.

Clinton 225
McCain 204

Russert: Right now Clinton leads in Oregon, Washington, Nebraska remaining electoral votes, Louisiana , and Pennsylvania and all those states add up to 53 electoral votes which would give him 278 electoral votes and thus the presidency. If McCain wants to win he has only two paths remaining , he must hold on to all the states he is leading in and win either Pennsylvania or Louisiana .With Louisiana he also must hope that The Republicans keep the house or that too wouldnt work.

Brokaw: McCain though even if he loses may be a contender in 2004 as at the beginning of the campaign everyone thought McCain would be another Dole and Clinton would cruise to a victory, but instead he likely will have turned it into the closest election since the late 19th century , even closer then 1916 which Wilson won by 11 electoral votes.

Russert: If he runs in 2004 I would say his biggest problem will be the primary against either Bush , as if he can come so close this time he will definitively  be the favorite in 2004 .

11:35:

Brokaw: NBC news is able to make another projection. Washington and it's 11 electoral votes will be won by President Clinton , and New Mexico and it's 5 electoral votes will be won by Senator McCain.

Brokaw: Ok now lets head to Claire Shipman who is in Little Rock Arkansas tonight. Claire how optimistic is the Clinton camp right now

Shipman: They are very optimistic now, a huge change from early in the night when they were more nervous about the election. They are not willing to celebrate just yet but they are no they are very confident that they will win the election.

Brokaw: Ok back to you russert , PA is more then 70% in and Clinton still has a lead , what chance does McCain have.

Russert: McCain has to over perform the exit polls in the republican counties to win PA. The exit polls so far have been right , but who knows things can change

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 11:37:55 PM »

NBC News - Decision 2000(Hour Six)

12:00 am:

Brokaw: The final polls have closed and NBC is ready to make a projection, Alaska and it's 3 electoral votes will be won my Senator McCain, we can also project that Maine 2nd district has been won by Senator McCain.

Clinton 236
McCain 213

Russert: Well what we do know know is that the American people have finished making their decision of who the next president will be, what we dont know is who they chose yet. We do know is Montana's Senate race has been won by the democrats meaning that if they win the presidency or if they win Michigan senate seat they will control the Senate.The house is also very close with the GOP has won 212 seats, the Democrats 211, Independents at 2 seats , and 10 of those seats still undecided. Our final forecast shows that the GOP will control 217 seats , the Dems 216 seats , and and Independents two meaning that Virgil Goode will cast the deciding vote for who will become speaker.

Brokaw: Now to bring in our election historian Doris Goodwin and the question I ask you is has there ever been a presidential election so close , with the congress being this close as well.

Goodwin: Well 1876 was certainly closer then this race , but Im stunned how close the house and senate is . in 1916 we similarly had a close presidential and house election but the Senate was still won by the Democrats comfortably   .  What is happening tonight is unprecedented, and in my opinion a large part of it has to do is that both the Republican decade in the 1980s and the Democratic decade in this past decade saw our economy improve by leaps and bounds, and also in both decades we moved on towards the path of peace in the world. So due to this the economy is not helping Clinton as we thought as people credit both parties, for this economy.

Brokaw:  Thanks Goodwin

12:20:

Brokaw: We can make projections in 2 more states Oregon and its 7 electoral votes, Nebraska and its remaining 3 electoral votes have been won by President Clinton.

Clinton 246
McCain 213

Russert: Clinton is now only 24 electoral votes away from Victory and he can do that by just holding on to his leads in Pennsylvania and Louisiana . To me this result shows that the third debate probably saved Clinton as before that the McCain camp was surging and that debate stopped their momentum and that means Clinton was able to hold his wall of 246 electoral votes which he has now and allowed him to allocate his resources in less states to win then Senator McCain.

Brokaw: Hold on NBC news is willing to make two more projections,

Michigan and it's 18 electoral votes have been won by Senator McCain while Louisiana and its 9 electoral votes have been won by President Clinton .

Clinton 255
McCain 231

Russert: Well that means Clinton just needs Pennsylvania to win the election, but this also means if McCain wins Pennsylvania he wins the election as that means he has probably won ohio.

Russert writing on a whiteboard:

Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 11:44:18 PM »

Grrrrr!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 11:49:21 PM »

NBC News - Decision 2000(Coverage after the Polls have closed)

Nhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAvbyDi0I_c

1:40:

Brokaw: We have breaking news to share with you

Bill Clinton reelected President
Brokaw: Bill Clinton will be the first president since FDR to win a third term as NBC news can now project that the State of Pennsylvania has been won by President Clinton.

Clinton 278
McCain 231

Russert: McCain ran probably the best losing campaign in US history and in my opinion should be nominated again in 2004 as if he is I believe the GOP will win easily next time around.

2:05: Brokaw: We got words that Senator McCain has called President Clinton and conceded .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 04:05:15 PM »

NBC News- John McCain concession speech

Brokaw: Now lets head to Arizona where McCain will give his concession speech.

McCain: I just called President Clinton, and congratulated him on winning a third term. I promised to give him my full support in working with him to make our country better. I want to thank my staff,my supporters, volunteers who worked hard on this campaign , and finally I want to thank my family. While we may have lost this election, I will not stop fighting to fix the issues we brought up on this campaign, in my Senate career and neither should you. Now is not the time to give up , but instead of fighting to elect me president, we need to fight to make sure congress reforms medicare, education, and our tax code. President Clinton like all of us wants these reforms to happen , and I pledge that I will work tirelessly in the Senate to help make that happen. Thank you and may God bless America.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 01:15:19 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2017, 02:20:01 AM by Old School Republican »

NBC News- Bill Clinton's Victory Speech

Brokaw: Now lets head to Little Rock where , President Clinton will give his victory speech

Clinton: I just received a call from Senator McCain and I congratulated him on running an incredible campaign . Senator McCain, pledged to work with me over the next 4 years, and I am looking forward to working with him to make our country even better in this new century. I want to thank the American people tonight for once again giving me the honor to serve as your president, and I promise that I will not let you down. While this election was very close and our nation was very divided , I also promise that I will be the president of all of America and I hope to prove to the cynical voter that yes, even after such a close election our country can come togther and solve our problems.Thank you and may god bless America.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 01:58:28 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2017, 02:02:10 AM by Old School Republican »

NBC News- 2000 Election Final Results:

President Bill Clinton/ Senator Bob Kerrey 278 49.5%
Senator John McCain/Governor Jeb Bush 260  49.1%

Senate Results:

Democrats: 50   +4
Republicans 50

Changes from OTL:

Montana: Brian Schweitzer defeats Conrad Burns(Democratic Gain)
Michigan:Spencer Abraham reelected(Republican Hold)
New York: Nita Lowey gets elected (Democratic Hold)

House of Representatives ( A deadlocked House of Representatives)
Republicans 216+ 1(Virgil Goode)
Democrats  216 + 1(Bernie Sanders)
Reform 1(Pat Choate )

Former Reform Vice Presidential candidate has said he will decide who to vote for speaker later, but just cause he votes for a GOP speaker or Democratic Speaker does not mean he will tow the party line.

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 03:46:13 PM »

Superb!!
I was hoping to see Clinton narrowly win.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 04:17:17 PM »

Superb!!
I was hoping to see Clinton narrowly win.

I will post the cabinet next , so feel free to give some suggestions who clinton 's cabinet members should be .
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 04:55:52 PM »

Is Hillary still First Lady? Senator in 2000 from New York? Cabinet post?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 05:41:37 PM »

Is Hillary still First Lady? Senator in 2000 from New York? Cabinet post?

She is still First Lady
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 11:50:11 PM »

Clinton makes his first cabinet pick:

Secretary of Defense: Senator Sam Nunn

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2017, 04:03:01 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2017, 04:30:15 AM by Old School Republican »

Clinton Names New Chief of Staff , National Security Advisor  
Chief of Staff: Steve Ricchetti

National Security Advisor : Hugh Shelton

Clinton also made his pick to head the department of justice:

Attorney General : Senator Joe Biden

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2017, 04:42:14 AM »

NBC Breaking News:

Dick Gephardt will be the Speaker Elect

Brokaw: With Pat Choate deciding to vote for Gephardt that means we will have a democratic speaker for the first time in 6 year . Representative Elect Choate though warns if the democrats go back to perusing liberal polices instead of centrist polices he will caucus with the Republicans which would flip the house back to the GOP.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2017, 04:34:16 PM »

Bill Clinton names more cabinet picks:

Secretary of Treasury: Businessman Micheal Bloomberg

Secretary of Energy : Current Secretary of Energy Bill Richardson

Secretary of Commence: Current Secretary of Commerce Norman Mineta

EPA Head: Robert Kennedy Jr.

Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2017, 07:20:22 PM »

What district does Pat Choate represent?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2017, 08:53:59 PM »

Texas 5th district
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2017, 10:12:36 PM »

Clinton taps heads for department of Interior , Labor, Transportation

Secretary of Interior: Former Congressman from Montana Pat Williams

Secretary of Labor: HUD secretary Andrew Cuomo

Secretary of Transportation : Deputy Secretary of Transportation Mortimer Downey

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2017, 10:15:54 PM »

Clinton names head for the HHS and HUD:

Secretary of Health and Human Services: Vermont Governor Howard

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Former Mayor of Philadelphia and DNC chair Ed Rendell

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2017, 10:47:58 PM »

Bill Clinton's press conference 11/21:

Brokaw: Bill Clinton is giving his first official press conference since the election. For people wondering the statements he made picking his cabinet picks for his next term are not what press confrences since he just announced his picks and left without taking questions. Today it has been confirmed that he will be taking questions .Ok now to head to the white house

Reporter: President Clinton , have you talked to Senator McCain yet on how you two plan together over the next 4 years.

Clinton: Yes I have Senator McCain and I have talked and he has agreed that he along with one democrat will sponsor legislation early next year to reform medicare so it can cover prescription drugs for seniors.

Reporter: Unlike  4 years ago it seems like you arent picking many deputies to lead departments , and instead are choosing people from outside the department to lead it.

Clinton: Well there are two reasons for that , one is tat many of those deputies no longer want to work here, and two is we have new challenges and problems to lead it. For example the new HUD secretary Ed Randell did an excellent job in making Philadelphia a better city and I feel that that he would be best suited to advise me on how we can bring that success to many inner cities around the country.

Reporter: You still havent selected your Secretary of State, why is that

Clinton : The reason is that after the election our current Secretary of state Madeline Albright told me she needed some time to decide if she wanted to remain Secretary of State for the next 4 years. A few days ago Secretary Albright told me that she will be stepping down at the end of this term, and since then Vice President Gore, is helping me come up with a shortlist of possible names who can replace her.

Reporter: Can you tell me who they are

Clinton: Sorry I cant, we are still working on that shortlist and due to that it cant be revealed at this moment . That will be it for today and I hope you all have a nice thanksgiving weekend.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies