Bill Clinton's third term
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 10:25:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Bill Clinton's third term
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16
Author Topic: Bill Clinton's third term  (Read 50621 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: November 25, 2017, 01:46:45 AM »

Each Presidential Candidate opinion on the President's immigration proposal:

Former Vice President Al Gore- I 100% endorse this proposal and I hope this proposal is the one congress passes

Senator Russ Feingold - This proposal does make improvements to the current immigration system, but I would hope that the bill would make sure that companies couldnt fine new loop holes to get away from paying the penalty like they have in the past.

Governor Howard Dean- I also think this is a good proposal , but one thing I would change to the proposal is that I would allow any illegal immigrant who hasnt committed a felony to be eligible for citizenship , not just the ones who have been here for more than 5 years.

Senator Mary Landrieu - If this proposal is up for a vote i definitely would vote for it

Governor George W Bush- Some  changes I would make to the proposal is that to allow illegal immigrants who havent committed a felony to be only eligible to become permanent residents not citizens. On the other hand for the illegal immigrants brought here as kids I would allow them to be eligible to become citizens. This way we dont break up families by deporting illegal immigrants already here, but we also send a message that if you come here illegally you wont be able to be citizens of this country.

John McCain- I would vote for this proposal if this came up in congress

Ron Paul- I would vote against this bill as the E-Verify Mandate on the private sector is a unconstitutional power grab by the federal government .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #276 on: November 25, 2017, 06:24:10 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2017, 06:25:58 PM by Old School Republican »

Senate and House pass immigration reform bills:

Senate Version of Bill:

- Requires all Publicly Traded Companies to use E-Verify to prevent illegal immigrants from obtaining a job

- Doubles Initial Penalty for Companies who hire illegal immigrants

- Penalty Doubles on each subsequent occasion when  a Company gets caught hiring illegal immigrants

- If a company gets caught hiring illegal immigrants more than 3 times, sanctions will be placed on them along with the monetary penalty .

- Allocates 30 Billion Dollars to build a fence in the least secure areas on the border

- Deports any illegal immigrant convicted of a felony

- Allows any illegal immigrant who has resided in the United States for 5 or more years and haven't committed a felony in the past 5 years to be given a pathway to citizenship

House Version of Bill:

- Requires all Publicly Traded Companies to use E-Verify to prevent illegal immigrants from obtaining a job

- Penalty Doubles on each subsequent occasion when  a Company gets caught hiring illegal immigrants

- If a company gets caught hiring illegal immigrants the 3rd time, sanctions will be placed on them along with the monetary penalty .

- Allocates 50 Billion Dollars to build a fence in the least secure areas on the border

- Any illegal immigrant who has resided in the United States for less than 5 years are ineligible to receive any public assistance or social services.

- Allows any illegal immigrant who has resided in the United States for 5 or more years and haven't committed a felony in the past 5 years to be given a pathway to becoming permanent residents , but ineligible to become citizens .

President Clinton Endorses Senate  Bill, but would be willing to sign either Bill .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #277 on: November 26, 2017, 04:44:08 AM »

Primary Results between Mini Tuesday and Super Tuesday:

Brokaw: Tomorrow is Super Tuesday , and here have been the results so far in between Mini Tuesday and Super Tuesday . On the Democratic Side , Vice President Gore won the Tennessee Primary, Virginia Primary, DC Caucus , Nevada Caucus . Senator Feingold won the Michigan Caucus ,Washington Caucus , Wisconsin Primary, and the Hawaii Caucus  . Senator Landrieu won the Idaho Caucus and Utah Primary, while Governor Dean won the Maine Caucus.

Al Gore : 336 (316 Supers)
Russ Feingold : 238 (29 Supers)
Mary Landrieu : 96 (18 Supers)
Howard Dean: 62(37 Supers)
Dick Gephardt : 1

Russert: At this point Its a race between Gore and Feingold and really at this point Landrieu and and Dean may not even have a chance at a contested convention .

Brokaw: As for the Republicans Governor George W Bush won all the primaries except  Michigan , Hawaii , and DC.

George W Bush 443
John McCain 193
Ron Paul 20

Newt Gingrich 18

Russert: Bush can seal the deal tomorrow with a solid performance
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #278 on: November 26, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2017, 06:18:24 PM by Old School Republican »

Bush dominates Super Tuesday, while Gore expands his delegate lead

Brokaw: Governor George Bush dominated the Super Tuesday Primaries tonight with big wins in delegate rich states such as  New York, California, Georgia , Ohio along with wins in Minnesota and Maryland. On the other hand Senator McCain only won Massachusetts , Connecticut , Rhode Island , and Vermont.

Russert: While it may not seem like Bush dominated tonight as he only won 6 of the 10 contests , his wins were in delegate rich states including California where he won all 170 delegates , while McCain's states were not  delegate rich. Ok now lets bring up the map here and the delegate count.

George W Bush 909
John McCain 305
Ron Paul 24

Newt Gingrich 18

Russert: The race is all but over in my opinion

Brokaw: Now for the Democrats, Vice President Al Gore won the delegate rich states of California,and New York while also winning Georgia and Maryland. Senator Feingold picked up wins  in Connecticut , Minnesota , Rhode Island and Ohio while  Governor Dean won Vermont. Gore and Feingold tied in Massachusetts

Al Gore : 881(342 Supers)
Russ Feingold :698(44 Supers)
Mary Landrieu : 131(8 Supers)
Howard Dean: 123(6 Supers)
Dick Gephardt : 1

Russert: I would say its all over for Dean and Landrieu even if the nomination isnt decided on ballot one.

Brokaw: I agree and in my opinion its likely Landrieu delegates go to Gore while Dean splits making Gore the favorite at this moment.

Russert: He is the favorite but it isnt all but over yet.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #279 on: November 26, 2017, 09:05:02 PM »

McCain and Paul drop out of the Presidential Race making Bush the Presumptive Republican Nominee

Brokaw: We are going to go to McCain headquarters where he will be making his concession speeches.

McCain: A short while ago I spoke to Governor Bush and congratulated him on becoming the Presumptive Republican Nominee. While I didnt want to drop out today, the math unfortunately wasnt there for us to win the Republican Nomination so for that reason I have decided to drop out . I want to thank my supporters for your support , and my campaign staff for their hard work during this campaign as without you there is no way I would have come even 2nd in the primary vote (Applause). Now it is time for our party to come together and unite behind our party's presumptive nominee George W  Bush as while he and I dont agree on all the issues , he and I agree more than I do with any of the Democratic Candidates(Applause). As a Governor of Texas , George Bush has worked hard to bring both parties together to solve issues in Texas and he will do the same for our country. Now I will continue to fight for the issues we campaigned on in the Senate, as we can still win on that front(Applause). Thank You, and God Bless America.

Brokaw: With McCain Dropping out NBC News can officially announce that Governor George W Bush will be the Republican Nominee for President this November

Russert: It seems like Congressman Paul will be speaking too. So we are going to head to his headquarters .

Paul: Thank you Thank You for all your support in this campaign , and for the principles to restore constitutional government.  With Senator McCain dropping out , there is no way to stop Governor Bush from winning on the first ballot so for that reason I have decided to drop out of the race(Boos). That doesnt mean I will stop fighting for the principles we set in this campaign as these principles are the only way we can restore our country(Applause). I will fight for these issues in congress, and I hope all of you remain organized in your efforts over the next 4 years as that is the only way you can get your voice heard and tell the people in Washington , that we have had enough of Big Government. Thank You again for your support
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #280 on: November 27, 2017, 01:30:14 AM »

Howard Dean Drops out of the Race:

Dean: After disappointing results in last night's primaries , I have decided to drop out of the presidential race as I no longer have a chance of winning the nomination on the 1st , or 2nd ballot at the Convention, and I dont want to win the nomination if that means we are disregarding the will of the people and dividing our party . So for that reason I am dropping out of the presidential race , and I hope Senator Landrieu should drop out of the race, as at this point only Vice President Gore and Senator Feingold are the candidates have a chance of winning the nomination outright , and candidates who dont have a chance to win on the first two ballots should drop out because then they are only dividing the party, and to beat George W Bush in November we need to be united or we are getting Reagan and his father on steroids as our president. Thank you and May God Bless You.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #281 on: November 27, 2017, 01:40:47 AM »

Breaking News : Supreme Court to hear the case on the constitutionality of the modified line item veto act in April

Treasury Secretary Bloomberg : Due to the fact that we wont get a ruling on this until late April , maybe early May, the President is asking  congress to pass a 6 week continuing resolution bill . This is due to the fact that if the Courts rule that the modified line item veto is constitutional , we believe it should be used for the next budget.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #282 on: November 27, 2017, 10:09:44 AM »

Grest updates! Gore versus W 2004 seems interesting!
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #283 on: November 27, 2017, 12:12:29 PM »

Come on Bush choose Paul as running mate.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #284 on: November 27, 2017, 03:15:53 PM »

Come on Bush choose Paul as running mate.

He cant as both are from the same state.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #285 on: November 27, 2017, 04:40:49 PM »

Cheney was also from Texas by early 2000 and then moved his official home back to his native of Wyoming, where he served in congress a decade earlier.

Still a great TL, by the way.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #286 on: November 27, 2017, 04:56:16 PM »

Cheney was also from Texas by early 2000 and then moved his official home back to his native of Wyoming, where he served in congress a decade earlier.

Still a great TL, by the way.

The difference is Cheney was no longer a member on congress when he made the decision to move back to Wyoming, Paul is an Incumbent Congressman so it would be much more difficult to do so. Lastly I dont think either side would be interested in being on the same ticket anyway.

I am happy you like the timeline though , and thanks for the compliment .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #287 on: November 27, 2017, 10:45:26 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2017, 10:50:00 PM by Old School Republican »

Super Tuesday III Democratic  Primary Results Sad

Brokaw: Former Vice President Al Gore has expanded his delegate lead with big wins in the Texas, Florida, and American Samao Primaries tonight . In Louisiana Senator Landrieu won the primary in a landslide which is no surprise, but she  also won an unexpected victory tonight in the Mississippi primary by a comfortable margin .

Russert: The reason Senator Landrieu was able to win the Mississippi primary , was because she was able to tie Vice Presidential Gore among African American Voters.  This allowed her to  win in Mississippi by 15 points.

Brokaw: Ok lets look at the map

Al Gore : 1051(339 Supers)
Russ Feingold :715(44 Supers)
Mary Landrieu : 229(17 Supers)
Howard Dean: 123
Dick Gephardt : 1[/img]

Brokaw: So Vice President Gore now has a solid lead in the primaries , and at this point looks like he very likely will win the most delegates. So why would Feingold and Landrieu stay in

Russert: He may finish most delegates , but he may not finish with a majority of Super Delegates, because the vast majority of state from here on out favor either Senator Feingold or Senator Landrieu, which means they to could decide to unite both their camps to defeat Vice President Gore.

Brokaw: Why would Feingold and Landrieu unite though, as they have more differences with each other than they do with Vice President Gore.

Doris Kearns Goodwin: In 1968 Ronald Reagan and Nelson Rockefeller tried to unite their forces to stop Nixon, and that only didnt work because neither Reagan or Rockefeller could agree on who heads the ticket. In this case Gore is Nixon the Establishment Candidate , Russ Feingold is Ronald Reagan the Ideological Base Candidate , and Landrieu is Rockefeller the Moderate candidate .

Brokaw: The main difference is in 1968 the Democratic Party was completely split in 3 between the McCarthy, Humphrey and Wallace camps while today the GOP is united behind Governor Bush. So back then causing a little division in the GOP wouldnt hurt them as much as it would hurt the Democrats today.

Goodwin: Yes that is true , but who knows Senator Landrieu may try to contest the convention so she is chosen as Vice President Gore Running mate.

Brokaw: Well what we do know is that this thing is not over yet
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #288 on: November 28, 2017, 12:11:40 AM »

Conference Committee comes to an agreement on Immigration Reform , and the House and Senate pass the bill .

Summary of the Immigration Reform Act of 2004:

- Penalty Doubles on each subsequent occasion when  a Company gets caught hiring illegal immigrants

- If a company gets caught hiring illegal immigrants more than 3 times, sanctions will be placed on them along with the monetary penalty .

- Allocates 30 Billion Dollars to build a fence in the least secure areas on the border

- Any illegal immigrant who has resided in the United States for less than 5 years are ineligible to receive any public assistance or social services.

- Allows any illegal immigrant who crossed the border when they were 18 or older who  have resided in the United States for 5 or more years without committing a felony will be given a pathway to becoming permanent residents , but they will be ineligible to become citizens

- Illegal Immigrants who came to this country as kids and who havent committed a felony , will be given a pathway to becoming citizens.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #289 on: November 28, 2017, 12:24:43 AM »

President Clinton signs the Immigration Reform Act of 2004

Clinton: Today, once again due to the work of both parties, we were able to solve another issue our country faced. The issue congress passed today was immigration reform, which we believe will significantly reduce the amount of illegal immigration into our country as this bill gets rid of incentives of coming here illegally and gets rid of the incentives of hiring illegal immigrants. This bill also deals with the issue on how we deal with the illegal immigrants who are already here , by neither breaking up their families or rewards them for coming here illegally. I want to once again thank both parties for working together on this as if they didnt we wouldnt be here today.

Clinton Signs Bill
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #290 on: November 28, 2017, 02:04:26 PM »

2004 General Election Polls and Clinton's Approval:

President Clinton's Approval Sad

Approve : 54%(+2%)
Disapprove: 44%(-3%)

2004 General Election Polls:

Governor George W Bush 49%
Former Vice President Al Gore 41%

Governor George W Bush 52%
Senator Russ Feingold 43%

Governor George W Bush 46%
Senator Mary Landrieu 40%

NBC Election Pollster: It looks like that the divisive primary has been hurting the Democrats , while the GOP has already been united behind Governor Bush.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #291 on: November 28, 2017, 06:09:20 PM »

Hillary Clinton narrowly wins the Democratic Nomination for the Illinois Senate Seat.

Democratic Primary Results:

Hillary Clinton 51%
Barack Obama 46%
Others 3%

Hillary Clinton : Thank You to all my supporters for your support , and I promise to you that I will not let you down , and we will win in November and take back Illinois Senate Seat from the Republicans (Cheers). We no longer will have a senator who votes to cut taxes on the rich while supports cutting services for the poor and working people in our state, no longer have a senator who votes against increasing funding for public schools , and we no longer have a senator who wants to interfere in a Women's right to choose, and the scary thing is the Republicans call that moderate , and have nominated someone who will be even more right wing than that.

The people of this great state dont want to double down on right wing policies , we want a senator who will vote to help the working families of our state even if it means asking the wealthy to pay a tiny bit more, increase funding for public education as that is the only way disadvantaged kids have the chance to be successful in their lives, fight for universal healthcare so no  person will ever have to worry about choosing between getting treated and going bankrupt , and we will have a Senator who respects a Women's right to choose(Applause). Lastly I want to thank State Senator Barack Obama for running a tremendous campaign and all I have to say is that he will go far in his political career if he chooses to stay in the political arena . Thank You again and May God Bless Illinois and May God Bless America.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #292 on: November 28, 2017, 11:51:16 PM »

Congress Passes a Continuing Resolution bill moving Budget deadline to June 2nd and President Signs it  

NBC Reporter: Congress passed a continuing resolution bill earlier today , meaning that budget deadline has been moved from April 21st to June 2nd .The reason they passed this , is because the Supreme Court is set to rule on the modified line item veto act later this month, and they want to know the ruling before finalizing the budget.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #293 on: November 29, 2017, 04:03:54 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2017, 01:25:02 AM by Old School Republican »

Results of the Remaining Primaries in March and April

Brokaw: We have had 10 primaries since Super Tuesday III including the primary in Pennsylvania tonight. These have been the results in these 10 primaries , Former Vice President Gore won a narrow victory in Illinois, and the Democratic Abroad  Caucus while winning by a conformable margin in North Carolina, and also won The Virgin Islands and  Guam  .  Senator Feingold won Pennsylvania easily , and also won in Colorado . Lastly Senator Landrieu won in Kansas, Alaska , and in Wyoming. Lets see who most benefited from these past 10 primaries now

Al Gore : 1222(339 Supers)
Russ Feingold :926(44 Supers)
Mary Landrieu : 326(17 Supers)

Brokaw: So its basically a wash

Russert: Yes it is. Something intresting to note is that exit pollsters asked Landrieu voters who they would have voted if it was just a two person race between Gore and Feingold and most of them said Feingold . So you could argue it would have been a much closer race if it was just Gore vs Feingold than how it is now.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #294 on: November 29, 2017, 09:53:01 PM »

Breaking News: Supreme Court overturns lower court's decision which had struck down the Modified Line Item Veto Act in a 7-2 Vote:

NBC Legal Correspondent : Today the Supreme Court in a 7-2 Decision ruled that the Modified Line Item Veto is Constitutional overturning the lower courts decision  which had blocked the Modified Line Item Veto. Justices Thomas, Ginsburg both voted to keep it struck down.

Clinton Statement:

We are happy of the courts decision , and we will use it to reduce our deficit.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #295 on: December 01, 2017, 12:32:06 AM »

Breaking News: Senate Abolishes Filibuster for approving line item vetoed Bills and Budgets

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #296 on: December 01, 2017, 01:20:35 AM »

President Clinton uses modified Line Item Veto to cut 15 Billion Dollars Out of the Budget, and congress approves the modified bill.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #297 on: December 01, 2017, 01:39:39 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2017, 01:57:45 AM by Old School Republican »

Results of the Remaining Primaries in May and on June 1st

Brokaw: Former Vice President Al Gore losing streak continues , as he still hasn't won a primary since Pennsylvania . On the other hand Senator Feingold won in Indiana and Oregon , while Senator Landrieu won in Nebraska , West Virginia , surprisingly in Arkansas , Kentucky, and in Alabama and South Dakota

Al Gore : 1273(394 Supers)
Russ Feingold : 1006 (51 Supers)
Mary Landrieu : 481(18 Supers)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P