Stranger: More Than 1,000 People Moving to Seattle a Week (Census Report)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:07:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Stranger: More Than 1,000 People Moving to Seattle a Week (Census Report)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Stranger: More Than 1,000 People Moving to Seattle a Week (Census Report)  (Read 3369 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 10:19:49 AM »

Don't know where they got the numbers from, but they are not as high ...

King County grew by 35.700 people last year (+1.7%), of which 15.500 came from an international migration surplus, 12.300 from natural balance and 8.500 from a domestic migration surplus.

So, it's more like a surplus of 500 people moving to King County each week.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 10:25:55 AM »

Holy moly. That all ↑ sounds like an infrastructural and real estate nightmare. What is being done to address the situation, if anything at all?

I gotta admit, the west coast states and CO are high up in my potential future home state list after I'm done with my degree.

Very little is being done, other than pretending that preventing development will somehow depress prices

This is the real problem right here. People want a strong economy but don't want apartment buildings.

NIMBYS should be evicted to the rural, bland, lifeless areas.

Our rural areas tend not to be so bland, though.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »

Whatever... I like Seattle, and Portland. I will sing both their praises. Lovely cities, both of them:

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 10:28:20 AM »

Real estate is nuts. I'm way overpaying for the House I'm closing on, and the rents in Seattle proper are ruinous

I'm intending to move back to the wet side within a year, so I'm really hoping the real estate bubble bursts relatively soon.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 12:01:26 PM »

And Olympia is the 23rd fastest growing metro. Stop moving there too, just to be safe.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 12:17:26 PM »

Real estate is nuts. I'm way overpaying for the House I'm closing on, and the rents in Seattle proper are ruinous

I'm intending to move back to the wet side within a year, so I'm really hoping the real estate bubble bursts relatively soon.

With 1k people moving here per week, it won't

The pace of price growth HAS started to flatten, FWIW, but it's still trending up
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2017, 12:18:27 PM »

Holy moly. That all ↑ sounds like an infrastructural and real estate nightmare. What is being done to address the situation, if anything at all?

I gotta admit, the west coast states and CO are high up in my potential future home state list after I'm done with my degree.

Very little is being done, other than pretending that preventing development will somehow depress prices

This is the real problem right here. People want a strong economy but don't want apartment buildings.

Our rural areas tend not to be so bland, though.

True. Spokane is underrated and apparently starting to get a lot more growth than before
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2017, 04:17:52 PM »

We dont need more morons bitching about windfarms.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2017, 05:25:25 PM »

Even apartments have gotten ridiculously expensive, and Seattle just doesn't have the land area for the type of population growth it's experiencing, so... yeah, it's hard to see the situation improving soon. Honestly, I could easily see rent going up throughout the entire metro area, at this point.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »

Even apartments have gotten ridiculously expensive, and Seattle just doesn't have the land area for the type of population growth it's experiencing, so... yeah, it's hard to see the situation improving soon. Honestly, I could easily see rent going up throughout the entire metro area, at this point.

How's Tacoma looking these days?

Been a few too many years since I went up to visit family.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies