Congressional Special Elections Results Thread (OLD, PLEASE UNSTICKY)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:33:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Congressional Special Elections Results Thread (OLD, PLEASE UNSTICKY)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 69
Author Topic: Congressional Special Elections Results Thread (OLD, PLEASE UNSTICKY)  (Read 200646 times)
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2017, 07:44:20 PM »

Speaking of SC-05 (Mulvaney's seat), has anyone heard anything about Democratis fielding a credible candidate there? The district has a fairly high floor for Democratic performance (even if Clinton did poorly there).
There are 3 Democratic candidates.  Parnell worked for Goldman Sachs, hopefully he isn't the nominee.  The other two are veterans, and complete political unknowns.  We could do worse.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2017, 08:11:05 PM »

Mulvaney always won that district with underwhelming margins but that may just be because its Mick Mulvaney rather than the district being particularly competitive.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2017, 08:20:10 PM »

An overwhelmingly white red state is safe Republican, no different than Kander in Missouri. They always make noises about considering a moderate Democrat, but will come home in the end.

Kander is not a moderate. If he and Hillary had been elected, he would have voted with Hillary 99% of the time.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »

Mulvaney always won that district with underwhelming margins but that may just be because its Mick Mulvaney rather than the district being particularly competitive.

Pretty much any Democrat is guaranteed 40% in that district due to the black population.  It's getting above 45% that is very difficult.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2017, 08:42:02 PM »

An overwhelmingly white red state is safe Republican, no different than Kander in Missouri. They always make noises about considering a moderate Democrat, but will come home in the end.

Kander is not a moderate. If he and Hillary had been elected, he would have voted with Hillary 99% of the time.

I guess in the same way that Collins is not a moderate, then.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2017, 10:32:51 PM »

Kander is less of a moderate than a Evan Bayh & is to the left of Donnelly.  He didn't run as an uber centrist, there were distinct undertones of running like a subdued liberal & he did surprisingly well.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2017, 10:56:22 PM »

Kander did better than the much more conservative/moderate Chris Koster, and did so against an incumbent. Sounds to me like running as a moderate isn't everything.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2017, 12:09:32 AM »

Kander did better than the much more conservative/moderate Chris Koster, and did so against an incumbent. Sounds to me like running as a moderate isn't everything.

I agree, but tbh Roy Blunt ran a disastrous campaign. I suspect any other Republican would have done better.

We don't know how the race would have panned out do we? Kander deserves credit for running so far ahead of HRC too & it is not always hey the other candidate is bad but a myriad of complex factors.

Elections aren't decided by 1 issue. I still think empathy, the ability to connect with voters emotionally, candidates personal honesty perception, the ability to turn out the base etc also play a pivotal role.

People don't vote on Economic & Social Score only. An issue close to the heart like honesty, corruption, war-mongering, marijuana, abortion etc could totally turn the votes from a candidate someone agrees with 90% of the time. Honesty, Authenticity & trustworthiness have massive cross-over appeal & can cut across some "small" policy differences given how politicians are these days.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2017, 01:40:34 AM »

Well it helped that he got huge swaths of voters to disregard his F rating from the NRA with this little gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wqOApBLPio

MalaspinaGold

« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2017, 01:41:18 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2017, 03:14:02 AM »

For the record, the worst performance I can find for Republicans since they took the seat in 1994 was in 2000, when Todd Tiahrt won by *only* 12 points.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2017, 09:56:12 AM »

Kander did so well because he ran the best campaign of any Democratic Senate candidate in 2016 and pretty clearly would've won had he not been running in a Republican wave year where the Democratic Presidential nominee lost the state by nearly 20%.  Koster probably would've also won in even a mildly Republican-leaning non-wave year (i.e. a reverse 2012), for that matter.  We would've still lost the AG and LG races, but I don't think they'd have been blowouts either were it not for the wave. 

On a different note (and this part isn't at all directed at Maxwell), as Ebsy noted elsewhere, it's not really accurate when some folks here act like Kander only did well because Blunt ran a lousy campaign.  Yes, Blunt took the race for granted for a while, but he woke up as the cycle continued.  He still didn't run an amazing campaign, but he didn't run a horrible one either once he started taking Kander seriously.  Kander was a liberal who ran an incredibly strong campaign who ran against a Republican incumbent who ran a campaign that was on par with Richard Burr's 2016 re-election campaign (i.e. a bit lazy and rather unremarkable, but hardly some sort of disaster).  Blunt does strike me as a pretty uninspiring guy, especially when contrasted with someone as likable as Kander (who like Schweitzer has a real knack for articulating liberal views in a way that appeals to conservative voters).  The 2016 Missouri Senate result had far more to do with the quality of Kander's campaign than it did with anything Roy Blunt did or didn't do.

For the record, the worst performance I can find for Republicans since they took the seat in 1994 was in 2000, when Todd Tiahrt won by *only* 12 points.

He only won by like 3% in 1996, IIRC.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2017, 12:05:33 PM »

That's true if you only look at Congressional results.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2017, 12:13:28 PM »

Wasn't 1996 closer than 2000?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2017, 01:15:46 PM »

Wasn't 1996 closer than 2000?
Yeah, Rathbun damn near won it in 1996.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2017, 01:24:19 PM »

What I meant was that Sebelius won the district's current boundaries in 2006 and likely did in 2002 as well.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2017, 02:24:05 PM »

@alexis_levinson
Ron Estes got some last minute $ from House Rs per FEC filing - Reps. Lynn Jenkins, Tom Emmer, Jason Smith, David Rouzer donated #ks04

@jmartNYT
No TV, but i'm told @CLFSuperPAC is spending $50K on live GOTV phone calls to all past R primary voters in lead up to #KS04

Nothing to see here!
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »

Well it helped that he got huge swaths of voters to disregard his F rating from the NRA with this little gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wqOApBLPio

Phenomenal & even that maybe under-appreciating gem - His whole background, candour, seemingly honesty & charisma really makes the ad stick out !
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2017, 09:18:19 AM »

I'm going to make a very bold prediction on KS-4
50% (D)
47% (R)
3% (L)

Brownback is extremely unpopular, which would act to suppress Democratic defections and drive up their turnout on election night, while creating the potential for some moderate registered republicans to actually be voting dem as a rebuke to Brownback. Obama no longer being president also means that Republican turnout overall may go down, and Trump being president will drive turnout of Democrats up.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2017, 09:22:26 AM »

The Pub will win by 10 points. The dem nominee should then run for some statewide offices in KS, he would have a non negligible chance to win.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »

The Pub will win by 10 points. The dem nominee should then run for some statewide offices in KS, he would have a non negligible chance to win.

I'm hoping it's somewhere closer to Brownback's 6.6% win 2014. A margin around there would:

1. Scare Republicans in competitive districts away from Trump's agenda. Repealing Obamacare would be even deader than it is now and it would make tax reform even more difficult.
2. Harm Republican recruitment efforts, while boosting Democratic recruitment.
3. Convince some Republicans that it would be better to retire than face a competitive reelection in 2018. Open seats are always easier to pick up.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2017, 11:34:44 AM »

I'm hoping it's somewhere closer to Brownback's 6.6% win 2014.

Brownback only won by 3.8% actually. If Republicans only held this seat by single-digits, that would be a huge scare to Republicans for the reasons you mentioned, but here's my prediction:

Estes (R) 54%
Thompson (D) 42%
Rockhold (L) 4%

Brownback might be completely toxic in the state, but it's only good enough to elect better Republicans, not Democrats, at least not yet.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2017, 12:05:10 PM »

Being optimistic for the final result:

Estes (R) - 54%
Thompson (D) - 43%
Rockhold (L) - 3%

A closer loss for Thompson would probably set him up for some other kind of office, and of course scare the crap out of Republicans.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2017, 02:05:22 PM »

What time do the polls close today?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States