ND-SEN: But you are, Blanche, you are
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:32:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  ND-SEN: But you are, Blanche, you are
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47
Author Topic: ND-SEN: But you are, Blanche, you are  (Read 107378 times)
TML
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: October 26, 2018, 11:57:56 PM »

Remember that 538 gives ND the highest voter power index (likelihood of individual voters swinging the race) among all Senate elections this year, so on that basis, it is still a worthwhile investment for the Democrats despite their recent atrocious polling numbers here.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1126 on: October 28, 2018, 11:58:15 AM »

Heitkamp doing retail politics to save her seat:

https://www.kvrr.com/2018/10/28/senator-heitkamp-drums-up-support-for-campaign-through-door-knocking/
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1127 on: October 28, 2018, 12:06:43 PM »

The most surprising thing about that video is that there's a black person in North Dakota. Combine that with heavy hitters like Tom Udall going to campaign for Heitkamp and the retail politics, and I think this race needs a...

RATINGS CHANGE: Safe R -> Lean D
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1128 on: October 28, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »

ND is of course cheap to campaign in, small and elastic. Biden generally hasn't been like Hillary pre-2016 in hitting the trail for just anybody in the pursuit of collecting endorsements: seemingly, just the candidates who have great shots at winning their respective races. I know at least at some point earlier in the year, he hadn't campaigned for a candidate who lost. Anyway, I doubt Biden has any statistically significant net disapproval in ND and even if he did, his positive effect on mobilizing voters would likely outweigh any negatives. This is exactly the kind of state where you'd expect a huge and near immediate rebound for elected officials upon leaving office.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1129 on: October 28, 2018, 02:59:36 PM »

ND is of course cheap to campaign in, small and elastic. Biden generally hasn't been like Hillary pre-2016 in hitting the trail for just anybody in the pursuit of collecting endorsements: seemingly, just the candidates who have great shots at winning their respective races. I know at least at some point earlier in the year, he hadn't campaigned for a candidate who lost. Anyway, I doubt Biden has any statistically significant net disapproval in ND and even if he did, his positive effect on mobilizing voters would likely outweigh any negatives. This is exactly the kind of state where you'd expect a huge and near immediate rebound for elected officials upon leaving office.

DING DING DING! Someone finally got it.

This is the most likely reasoning for why Biden is doing this. He has relatively high approvals around the country and ND is, well, ND, small and elastic. He has chosen only candidates he think will win this entire year, why would he campaign for a sure loser when MO and IN are vulnerable? Because she isnt a sure loser. Something is going on.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #1130 on: October 29, 2018, 03:10:58 PM »

McDonald is behind in updating the ND numbers to Elect Project, but the early voting is now up to 74% of 2014's early vote (65,491 early votes in so far this year). Early in-person voting is opening in several big counties the next couple of days: Cass County (a quarter of the state's population) and Ward County (fourth largest county by population) today and Grand Forks County (third most populous county) tomorrow. Vote by mail is still ongoing, of course, and early in-person voting continues in Burleigh County and Morton County (the Bismarck-Mandan metro area) and Stutsman County (Jamestown, the ninth largest city).
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #1131 on: October 29, 2018, 05:46:17 PM »

It appears that Trump and the other major surrogates are focusing their stops elsewhere in the lead up to the election, Heitkamp is done but at least she got a bunch of gullible out of state leftists to throw away their money
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1132 on: October 29, 2018, 06:04:42 PM »

I honestly don't think Heitkamp is as cooked as people think.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1133 on: October 29, 2018, 06:18:02 PM »

Dems dont seem to think so. I mean, they sent Joe Biden to campaign for her in the final days.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #1134 on: October 29, 2018, 06:35:14 PM »

Dems dont seem to think so. I mean, they sent Joe Biden to campaign for her in the final days.
He made one stop at a bus tour kickoff which could very well be him repaying a favor for a vote or him securing endorsements (Clinton also campaigned for several doomed democrats for the same reason). What is noticeable is that neither Trump or Pence are planning to make any stops in the state despite being extremely popular there.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1135 on: October 29, 2018, 06:39:58 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2018, 06:50:30 PM by Senator-Elect Zaybay »

He made one stop at a bus tour kickoff which could very well be him repaying a favor for a vote or him securing endorsements (Clinton also campaigned for several doomed democrats for the same reason). What is noticeable is that neither Trump or Pence are planning to make any stops in the state despite being extremely popular there.
He is making 20 stops in ND for a tour with Heidi, I already clarified this. And I have a suspicion that when you say "Doomed Democrats" you refer to the senate races of WI, PA, MO, NC, among others.

Anyway, the fact that a prized Democrat who has high approvals and has helped pull out races for other candidates is going to ND, and not to AZ, NV, IN, or MO should be a sign, especially considering, if he is doing this for endorsement votes, the other states will actually have the possibility of having D senators, much more useful than a senator who lost in ND.
psychprofessor

« Reply #1136 on: October 30, 2018, 09:48:00 AM »

Kenneth P. Vogel

Verified account

@kenvogel
Follow Follow @kenvogel
More
HEIDI HEITKAMP's brother @JoelKFGO tells @HallieJackson just now that his sister's reelection race "is way closer than it's been portrayed by national media," & takes a shot at Kornacki: "I'm a @SteveKornacki fan, don't get me wrong, but he's not making my trivial pursuit team."
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1137 on: October 30, 2018, 10:09:36 AM »

Well, I thought Heitkamp was doomed, but Joe Biden and Heidi Heitkamp's brother told me she wasn't, so I guess that's that!
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1138 on: October 30, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »

The ND polls are heavily understating support for Heitkamp.
The SD polls are heavily understating support for Noem.

At least 1 of the above 2 statements has to be true, not sure if anyone can tell with certainty which is true, and it is also possible that both are true.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1139 on: October 30, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »

When the brother is saying that you know Heitkamp is doomed.

Her brother Joel is just blowing up smoke here.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #1140 on: October 30, 2018, 11:52:02 AM »

At least 1 of the above 2 statements has to be true, not sure if anyone can tell with certainty which is true, and it is also possible that both are true.
No, not necessarily. Gubernatorial and Senatorial races sometimes follow completely different dynamics, and these are two separate states. The people of SD are voting for who they want to run their state, and the people of ND are voting for who they want to represent them at the federal level in the senate. Senate races have recently been lining up more and more with the state fundamentals each cycle.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #1141 on: October 30, 2018, 12:34:13 PM »

When the brother is saying that you know Heitkamp is doomed.

Her brother Joel is just blowing up smoke here.
Even he implies that she is still behind lol
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #1142 on: October 30, 2018, 03:10:58 PM »

Well, I thought Heitkamp was doomed, but Joe Biden and Heidi Heitkamp's brother told me she wasn't, so I guess that's that!
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1143 on: October 30, 2018, 03:26:40 PM »

He is making 20 stops in ND for a tour with Heidi, I already clarified this. And I have a suspicion that when you say "Doomed Democrats" you refer to the senate races of WI, PA, MO, NC, among others.

Anyway, the fact that a prized Democrat who has high approvals and has helped pull out races for other candidates is going to ND, and not to AZ, NV, IN, or MO should be a sign, especially considering, if he is doing this for endorsement votes, the other states will actually have the possibility of having D senators, much more useful than a senator who lost in ND.

Heitkampmentum is

She is going to get on that old bus, stop and talk to the farmer guy who is selling apples by the side of the road, and then the farmer guy is going to vote for her so that she will win. Classic retail politics, she can still win because she is an incumbent in a small state where the people know her.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1144 on: October 30, 2018, 10:56:38 PM »

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1145 on: October 30, 2018, 10:56:50 PM »

No, not necessarily. Gubernatorial and Senatorial races sometimes follow completely different dynamics, and these are two separate states. The people of SD are voting for who they want to run their state, and the people of ND are voting for who they want to represent them at the federal level in the senate. Senate races have recently been lining up more and more with the state fundamentals each cycle.

I thank you for taking more time than I would have to parse that bizarre and unfounded analogy. It is very possible that the polls are right about both Heitkamp and Noem.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1146 on: October 31, 2018, 05:14:09 PM »

Cramer up 9 in the new poll. LOL at everyone who thought Heidi still had a chance because Joe Biden, her brother, and other random people on Twitter said so.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1147 on: October 31, 2018, 05:18:40 PM »

Cramer up 9 in the new poll. LOL at everyone who thought Heidi still had a chance because Joe Biden, her brother, and other random people on Twitter said so.

They also showed Donnelly winning by 7 and a tie in MO, so yeah, bad news for her. It must be absolutely humiliating to lose as an incumbent in a tidal wave for your party, especially if you’re the reason your party fails to take the Senate.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1148 on: October 31, 2018, 05:29:07 PM »

They also showed Donnelly winning by 7 and a tie in MO, so yeah, bad news for her. It must be absolutely humiliating to lose as an incumbent in a tidal wave for your party, especially if you’re the reason your party fails to take the Senate.

2018 is not a "tidal wave" for the Democratic Party. If it were, no Democratic incumbents would lose, in either the House or Senate, and Democrats would have a very strong shot at picking up Arizona, Nevada, Texas, and Tennessee. At best, it is a blue "ripple", enough to flip the House, some governorships, and several state legislatures, but not enough to take the Senate or to make even more penetrative gains at the state level.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1149 on: October 31, 2018, 05:31:14 PM »

2018 is not a "tidal wave" for the Democratic Party. If it were, no Democratic incumbents would lose, in either the House or Senate, and Democrats would have a very strong shot at picking up Arizona, Nevada, Texas, and Tennessee. At best, it is a blue "ripple", enough to flip the House, some governorships, and several state legislatures, but not enough to take the Senate or to make even more penetrative gains at the state level.

With how bad the Senate map is (we’re talking historically bad), it was always a super long shot for Democrats to take the Senate even in a tsunami.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies