Office of Harry S Truman
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:19:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Harry S Truman
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Office of Harry S Truman  (Read 6067 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »
« edited: December 11, 2017, 12:09:14 PM by Harry S Truman, GM »

F  O  R  M  E  R      P  R  E  S  I  D  E  N  T      &
G   A   M   E         M   O   D   E   R   A   T   O   R

H A R R Y  S  T R U M A N

- P U B L I C  O F F I C E -

Statements
17 April 2017 – Elections, Criminal Justice Act, and Record of Government
24 April 2017 – New Parliament, and Minister of Energy
20 July 2017 – Disaster Relief Order
5 September 2017 – Suffrage Day Address
19 September 2017 – Special Election for the House of Commons
6 November 2017 – Retirement
14 November 2017 – Trumancare
15 November 2017 – Foiled Terror Attack
22 November 2017 – Farewell Address
9 December 2017 – Confirmed as Game Moderator
11 December 2017 – Help Wanted

Archive
Mideast & Senatorial Office | Secretary of State | White House
Interior Secretary | Gubernatorial Office | Attorney General
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »

Inside the Cabinet room.

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:59:56 AM »

17 April 2017

With the Southern election now behind us and four days to go before the national races go before the public, I suppose you could say we're in the eye of the storm; that being the case, I'll take this moment to make note of a few things on my mind.

First, elections for the House of Commons begin in just four days — on Friday, 21 April. As of this morning, we have six fantastic candidates running for parliament, and I wish each of them the very best of luck. Those interested in running who have not yet announced their candidacy have until 12:00 AM Eastern Time on Wednesday (April 19) to file to appear on the ballot. Naturally, anyone is eligible to receive a write-in vote as long as they accept it, either in the Candidate Declaration Thread or with their ballot.

Second, after several long months and quite a few delays, the Criminal Justice Act has passed both houses of Congress and proceeds to the president's desk. This legislation, which I authored during my term as President of the Republic, formally establishes a federal criminal code defining such crimes as voter intimidation, terrorism, and treason. With its passage, the Department of Justice and the Office of the Attorney General will have a clear authorization to uphold the rule of law and to defend the rights of honest citizens from those who would do them harm. I urge the president in the strongest terms to sign this legislation, and commit myself to its full enforcement in my capacity as Attorney General.

Third, with the sitting parliament scheduled to leave office in a matter of days, it is appropriate to review the progress of this government since its election less than two months ago. In the time since I swore to uphold the laws and Constitution of Fremont as prime minister for this commonwealth, the House of Commons has debated and passed nine articles of legislation. These bills were submitted by myself and my colleagues to address a myriad of pressing issues facing this region; from the rising cost of college tuition to the plight of organized labor. We have, in this session, passed legislation that will cap tuition at public universities, abolish the travesty that is Daylight Savings Time, protect the right of working people to organize, fix the minimum wage to the cost of living, insure the rights of transgender citizens and undocumented minors, tackle the challenge of climate change, and legalize marijuana in all 18 states of this region. This is a record of real progress; not of vapid rhetoric and empty promises, but of actual results that impact the lives of Fremontians from the Great Plains to the Pacific coast. Every one of these bills was passed with bipartisan support, and every one of them was proposed with the common goal of building a society that is both free and fair, one in which all citizens - regardless of race, class, gender, or nationality - may enjoy the full measure of life, liberty, and happiness to which they are entitled as human beings and citizens of this region.

Thank you all.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 09:34:09 PM »

Sample ballot for this weekend's election:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 02:52:19 PM »

24 April 2017

I wish, first and foremost, to extend my congratulations to the newly-chosen members of the House of Commons. The late campaign was among the most active of any regional election I have seen since the ratification of the Fourth Constitution – certainly the most active in the history of Fremont – and for this, I commend the six wonderful individuals who dedicated their time and talents to the betterment of our Commonwealth. I am quite pleased to have the opportunity to work with these fine individuals, and I am sure all will do their part to make this session pleasant and productive.

I likewise give my thanks to our retiring member, Dr. Novella, who has served his region with distinction these last two months. While we will miss his contributions in the Commons, I am pleased to announce that Mr. Novella has accepted my invitation to become the inaugural Minister of Energy for Fremont. Having argued with distinction for clean, renewable energy in parliament, Novella is just the man for the job, and I look forward to working alongside him to establish Fremont as the green energy capital of Atlasia.

Lastly, I offer my congratulations to Senator Scott and Senator-elect Bessell on their victories this weekend, as well as to the members of the newly-elected House of Representatives. I am pleased that Fremont will remain well-represented in the lower house by the able leadership of Simossad and Dereich, and welcome their contributions to the national dialogue.

The new parliament will be seated on Friday, April 28, at which point the government will resume work. Thank you.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 02:10:11 PM »

Discovery Day

Today (May 1) is Discovery Day in Fremont, commemorating the birth of Sacagawea in 1788 and the contributions she made over her life to the history of our commonwealth. Born in what would become the State of Idaho, she remains a human link to our earliest history, the symbol of the transformation of the New World and the entrance of the West into the family of American States.

LES POPULUSQUE PATRIAE REGET
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »

20 July 2017

Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 08:58:31 AM »

Congrats on your re-election Mr. Prime Minister!

I was wondering, could you clarify the method we use to determine election winners in Fremont? There seems to be a little confusion about it in the election tracker thread.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 02:13:03 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2017, 02:14:34 PM by Deputy GM Encke »

I'd like to comment that Truman counted votes incorrectly in the Alpha v 1184AZ election, where several people (JoMCaR and Kalwejt, and possibly a few others) were ineligible to vote based on the restrictions given in the Fremont constitution (which are legal because the voting rights amendment made residency requirements legal in June, I believe). Apparently AZ inquired about this during that election, but Truman cited cinyc v. Lincoln, which is no longer applicable.

In reference to the HoC election, Truman's method of counting should be invalid because the constitution specifies that an STV method should be used. Nothing in the recently passed Electoral Procedures Act (FT 3-03) contradicts this. All STV methods, to the best of my knowledge, involve reallocation of the votes of those above the quota first, before any other candidates are eliminated. As a result, there should be more than one round, as Kamala and Pericles's preferences transfer largely to canis, who would then be above the quota and need to redistribute as well.

If my math is correct, Pericles's entire surplus transfers to canis (3 votes) and 3/4 of Kamala's surplus transfers to canis (2.25 votes). The rest of Kamala's surplus transfers to cora (0.75 votes). Meanwhile, ted's surplus transfers entirely to canis as well (1 vote). Canis now has 9.25 votes, so 5.25 votes must transfer. This surplus favors Cora 5-3 over Adam, transfering 3.28 votes to Cora, making about 5.03 votes. So, Cora should be elected rather than rpryor.

I assumed that preferences for already-elected candidates are skipped and move to the next preference, but there is no specification anywhere on what STV procedures should be used.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 02:19:57 PM »

Congratulations!  Fremont shall continue to be served well.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 02:23:35 PM »

Thanks for the well-wishes, all. Smiley

Regarding STV questions, it does appear my initial count for the HoC was incorrect; thanks to Encke for pointing this out. I'll update the certification ASAP.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 05:20:01 PM »

Suffrage Day in Fremont
6 September 2017

One hundred forty-seven years ago tomorrow, on 6 September in the year 1870, Louisa Ann Swain — a citizen of the town of Laramie in what was then the Wyoming Territory — became the first woman in recorded Atlasian history to vote in a general election. It is for this reason, in celebration of the long and triumphal struggle for woman's suffrage, and of the pioneering role of the Western states in advancing the banner of equal rights, that the 6th of September is set aside by law as Suffrage Day.

It is a blessing, indeed, that I and my fellow Fremontians may look to see a female president in the Oval Office this Suffrage Day, and a fitting time to remember the contributions of countless women over the course of the last two centuries to the cause of equal rights. To Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Lucrettia Mott, Susan B. Anthony, Victoria Woodhull, Belva Ann Lockwood, Carrie Chapman Catt, Jeannette Rankin, and thousands upon thousands of other pioneering women we owe no small part of the blessings of liberty enjoyed by all citizens, regardless of sex.

LIBERTAS MATRIS FERAT

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »

19 September 2017

With the banning of MP Coraxion, a special election to fill the vacant seat in the House of Commons will take place this weekend (September 22 - 25). Candidates may declare their intent to contest the election in the Candidate Declaration Thread.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 05:13:13 PM »

2 October 2017

There are no words adequate to describe the senseless horror that broke loose from Hell this Sunday in Las Vegas. This was a tragedy in the plain, ice-cold, cutting fullness of that word. Our hearts grieve with the victims and their families; and for them we hope that healing time will yet make order of this dark chaos.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 10:00:01 AM »

26 October 2017

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 05:48:01 PM »

6 November 2017

Ladies and gentlemen; citizens, members of Parliament, and my dear friends —

One week from this Friday, we will elect a parliament to represent our commonwealth before the world and to lead us into the new year of 2018. It is to be the fifth parliamentary election under the reformed Constitution of Fremont, and the first in which I will not be a candidate for prime minister.

On election day, I will have led this government, in one capacity or another, for ten uninterrupted months. It is not a little thing to pass that burden on; thrice already I have renewed it, for I felt the happiness of my region demanded I remain. Now, three hundred thirteen days later, having accomplished everything I set out to achieve — restored accountability, activity, and decorum to our legislature; reformed our constitutional system of government; revived our people's faith in their representatives; and led our region to new heights of prosperity, innovation, education, and public renewal — I can say honestly that I am ready, and Fremont is ready, to see another take the helm.

I will be frank with you: I never planned to take this job, until circumstances thrust it upon me; but having taken it, these ten months as your prime minister rank among the most fulfilling I have spent in the public sphere. There is not in my estimation any greater honor than to serve as Prime Minister of Fremont, and it is an honor I know my countrymen will wisely bestow upon a candidate worthy in character and conduct for the post.

Those in the gallery cheering my departure can save their breath; I'm not going away, nor do I intend to remain aloof from public affairs so long as I can be of service to my region and my country. I am then, yours and for the last time,

Harry S Truman
Prime Minister of Fremont
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 06:02:45 PM »

Truman, you have been a wonderful Prime Minister and Fremont has been lucky to have you for as long as you've served. You took a region that was falling into the doldrums of darkness and helped make things fun again. Fremontistas will always be in your debt for that!
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 06:06:48 PM »

Thank you for your months of service. Fremont has undoubtedly become a much better, stronger, and more united Commonwealth. I wish you the best in your retirement and any future plans you may have.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 10:45:41 PM »

It's been a pleasure to work with you, HST.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 11:55:20 PM »

You have been an outstanding Prime Minister. You will be greatly missed.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 11:54:32 AM »

14 November 2017

It is a grand thing, in the early sunset of my time as your prime minister, to sign into law the People's Medical Care and Insurance Act (Trumancare, some have called it) — towards which our region and the republic at-large have struggled for the better part of a year. I won't waste your time with lengthy exhortations of this moment's practical and historical significance; put plainly and simply, the region with this law sets out to revolutionize our system of medical care, by the creation of an Exchange — of, by, and for Fremontians — offering comprehensive and affordable coverage to all citizens.

Thanks are due to my friends and colleagues in the Commons — particularly to Pericles, who worked fastidiously to see this bill perfected before the vote — and to those in Nyman, especially Senator Scott (who, if I had had my way, would now be our vice president) and Speaker Yankee, who toiled months upon months to pass the federal reform act this past summer.

Without further ado —

Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 04:45:05 PM »

15 November 2017

Yesterday, officers of the Los Angeles Police Department arrested four individuals, all being affiliates of that organization calling itself "Free The People," who are believed to have been preparing for a terror attack against this commonwealth. I commend these officers, and our law enforcement agencies across the region, who have been working now for some time to identify and prevent threats to our domestic security posed by foreign terrorists; I further extend my thanks to my colleagues at the Department of Justice, without whose cooperation the safety of our children and the integrity of our region would be gravely in doubt.

It is clear now more than ever that swift and decisive action is necessary from this government to oppose and prevent terrorist activities within our borders, whether they are carried out by "Free The People" or by other similar groups. I call upon the House of Commons, and the candidates in the approaching election, to move with all due haste to secure passage of the Domestic Integrity Act, which I proposed earlier this month and which would officially label FTP a terrorist group and authorize our law enforcement agencies to bring the full might of the law against them.

So long as I hold this office, I shall use every tool and power at my disposal to preserve the peace and bring those who would attack our citizens, or region, and the rule of law to justice.

Harry S Truman
Prime Minister of Fremont
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 12:37:35 AM »

22 November 2017

It has been a grand thing to serve as your prime minister these past ten months; in parting, I make one last offering of gratitude to those who have served by me, and for the well-wishes of my countrymen. I trust you will be as loyal and just to my successor, as you have been to me; and trusting so, I can offer her no better portents for the future.

Good night! good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow
That I should say good night 'til it be morrow.

That's a wrap.

Tόrkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 01:32:54 AM »

May he never enter political office again. A true cancer on our body politic.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 01:51:06 AM »

Thank you for your dedication to this game for so many years; your contributions will have a significant positive lasting effect on this game and your actions will serve as a role model for future players. I wish you the absolute best of success in the future.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies