End of the Baby Boomers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:52:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  End of the Baby Boomers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: End of the Baby Boomers  (Read 2102 times)
History505
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2017, 07:13:35 PM »

Which future election will most likely mark the end of the baby boomers?
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:43:13 PM »

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:57:31 PM »

Stop
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 07:58:29 PM »

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 08:02:48 PM »

2032. Millennials are emotionally weak to be in office the way how they are behaving right now. Until they learn to be adults, few people will take them seriously.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 08:12:29 PM »

2032. Millennials are emotionally weak to be in office the way how they are behaving right now. Until they learn to be adults, few people will take them seriously.

There are many millions of Millennials. Generalizations like this are asinine. Also, it's hard to learn to be an adult when the labor market for people entering the workforce is such an inchoate and harrowing grand guignol.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 08:14:37 PM »

I have no idea what OP's question implies.

If you mean when does the baby boomer Reagan Revolution era end? 2024 most likely.

When do boomers stop becoming a significant voting bloc? Well even if millennials begin voting consistently and in large numbers, boomers will still be an important voting bloc all the way into the 2030's.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 08:16:01 PM »

Am I scaring you?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 09:59:30 AM »

I should have rephrased this question better, what I was really asking was about presidential candidates who are baby boomers, like the election that will mark the end of them being in office. For example, 1992 is when Bill Clinton and Al Gore brought the start of the baby boomers being elected, which election will bring the next generation group to be elected?

The first baby boomers were elected to Congress in 1976 and they became a majority in Congress after the 1998 midterms which means it took them roughly 50 years from the first baby boomers born in 1946. At this rate...Millenials won't be the majority in Congress till 2030.

Chances are there won't be a Millenial president till the 2030s

So 2032/2036? It seems more reasonable than 2052 or 2024.

In 2036, the median age for a Boomer will be 80 something. Actuarily and keeping with modern developments, an average age of 85-90 for a generation probably signifies 50% attrition. For Millenials, that number could be as low as 70 (sustained and intensified secular decline) or north of 100 (society sustains itself and our technical and medical people deliver their expected output). Probably low 90s if I had to guess.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 10:06:28 AM »

I should have rephrased this question better, what I was really asking was about presidential candidates who are baby boomers, like the election that will mark the end of them being in office. For example, 1992 is when Bill Clinton and Al Gore brought the start of the baby boomers being elected, which election will bring the next generation group to be elected?

Booker, Bullock, Gillibrand, Castro, and Murphy, among others, are all Gen X rather than Boomers, so for all we know, we might start getting Gen X presidents as early as 2020.  But that doesn’t mean that we won’t have a Boomer president again, or that we won’t have Boomer candidates.  For all we know, a Gen X president will follow Trump, followed by another Boomer.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 10:11:07 AM »

Booker, Bullock, Gillibrand, Castro, and Murphy, among others, are all Gen X rather than Boomers, so for all we know, we might start getting Gen X presidents as early as 2020.  But that doesn’t mean that we won’t have a Boomer president again, or that we won’t have Boomer candidates.  For all we know, a Gen X president will follow Trump, followed by another Boomer.

If the rule of only Democrats under 50 becoming president is true, the next Democrat will be an Xer and perhaps a Millenial if Democrats cannot deliver until Trump is not running or not President.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 10:12:33 AM »

Given that the very oldest people live to about 118, the 2080 or so election will be the last one in which *any* Boomers take part in.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »

Given that the very oldest people live to about 118, the 2080 or so election will be the last one in which *any* Boomers take part in.

Maybe. Maybe the oldest one will live to like 108/109 or maybe they will find a way to live past 118.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 12:34:13 PM »

Obama was the first Gen X president

Gen Xers start in the mid 60s. Obama was born in 1961. He's still a baby boomer, just the tail end of it.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 12:35:38 PM »

Considering the prime age for candidates is usually 40-70 and that the average age of an elected Democratic President over the past century has been in the very late 40s/early 50s, I'd say the chances of an election featuring two Baby Boomers drops below a coinflip by 2020 (if it hasn't already). The chances that any major candidate is a Baby Boomer probably drops below 50 by 2024...2028 at the latest; the youngest people considered Baby Boomers - those born in 1964 - would be 64 by then.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 12:43:26 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2017, 12:47:03 PM by Mr. Morden »

Considering the prime age for candidates is usually 40-70 and that the average age of an elected Democratic President over the past century has been in the very late 40s/early 50s, I'd say the chances of an election featuring two Baby Boomers drops below a coinflip by 2020 (if it hasn't already).

Hey, Sanders and Biden were both born *during* WW2, so they're not even Boomers.  If either of them is nominated, then we won't have an election between two Boomers, but it'll be in the opposite sense that you would expect.  Tongue

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What do you mean by any major candidate?  The actual nominee of one of the major parties, or are you including contenders who fail to win the nomination?  Because I'm pretty sure that we'll still have candidates born in the 50s who are running for president in both 2024 and 2028.  Whether any of them will actually win the nomination, I don't know.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 03:37:43 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2017, 03:47:41 PM by Technocratic Timmy »

Ahh I see!

Well I think the next realigning president will absolutely be a baby boomer since realigning presidents are usually older with a good deal of political experience and they will obviously a two termer. That realignment will occur in either 2020 or 2024 so the last baby boomer will leave office in either 2028 or 2032. The realigning presidents VP will probably be Gen X and will serve one term most likely (although two terms is possible).

Our first millennial president will likely be in either 2036 or 2040. We will continue to only elect millennial presidents for the time being. Gen X will be almost entirely skipped over except for the VP of the realigning president being the sole exception. Remember that the silent generation never got their own President either; so Gen X will be thankful to have one and not zero.

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 06:27:01 PM »

If you mean 1st Millennial president, 2036-44.  If you mean Millennials casting more votes than Baby Boomers, 2024-32 depending on who the candidates are.
kyc0705

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 06:29:49 PM »

I am going to only vote for millennials after reading this.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 07:45:31 PM »

I am going to only vote for millennials after reading this.

There is some motivation when some older blowhard calls you a f****t or sissy, isn't there?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 12:23:38 AM »

The first baby boomers were elected to Congress in 1976 and they became a majority in Congress after the 1998 midterms which means it took them roughly 50 years from the first baby boomers born in 1946. At this rate...Millenials won't be the majority in Congress till 2030.

Chances are there won't be a Millenial president till the 2030s

However, their first President was elected six years prior to achieving a majority in Congress.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies