Primus Inter Pares - October 2015 General Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:42:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Primus Inter Pares - October 2015 General Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Which party will you vote for?
Labour (Andy Burnham)
Conservative (Boris Johnson)
Liberal Democrat (Ed Davey)
Reform (David Miliband)
New Deal (Steven Woolfe)
Green (Siān Berry)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Primus Inter Pares - October 2015 General Election  (Read 864 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »

Now that's a realignment. Tongue
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 01:53:44 PM »

Makes me wish this timeline wasn't nearing the end, I really want to see where this goes.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 02:12:15 PM »

Makes me wish this timeline wasn't nearing the end, I really want to see where this goes.
Yeah I'd like to see 2020 if possible as well.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 04:26:05 PM »

I think Atlas has defeated me. I can't think of a way to explain the UK voting remain by 70% and then having a weakened New Deal have a surge out of nowhere in six months.

Any suggestions?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2017, 04:31:08 PM »

I think Atlas has defeated me. I can't think of a way to explain the UK voting remain by 70% and then having a weakened New Deal have a surge out of nowhere in six months.

Any suggestions?

Those 30% who voted Leave were REALLY angry at the results?

Kinda like how the LibDems are regaining a little bit of ground now after Brexit.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 05:01:35 PM »

Any suggestions?

Kinda like how the LibDems are regaining a little bit of ground now after Brexit.

Strong Euroscepticism is pretty much the only reason for sticking with the (supposedly) rapidly falling apart New Deal, but the Tories went with their two most Eurosceptic candidates too....splitting those numbers, either the Tory voters are almost all Remainers or about half of the New Deal voters are Remainers and both sound ridiculous.

The only way I can think of to get out of this is a MASSIVE turnout difference between the two votes...but even that doesn't make much sense. Maybe a freak earthquake hit JUST Scotland and London just before the polls opened or something.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 06:37:15 PM »
« Edited: April 12, 2017, 06:38:55 PM by Phony Moderate »

Maybe the EU has done something to piss off a lot of voters since the referendum? Remember that a fair few No voters voted SNP in 2015 and it was at least in part due to Cameron's speech on the morning of September 19th 2014.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2017, 06:39:08 PM »

Any suggestions?

Strong Euroscepticism is pretty much the only reason for sticking with the (supposedly) rapidly falling apart New Deal, but the Tories went with their two most Eurosceptic candidates too....splitting those numbers, either the Tory voters are almost all Remainers or about half of the New Deal voters are Remainers and both sound ridiculous.

The only way I can think of to get out of this is a MASSIVE turnout difference between the two votes...but even that doesn't make much sense. Maybe a freak earthquake hit JUST Scotland and London just before the polls opened or something.
Mass defection of working class voters from the Tories to New Deal? Maybe the Mondeo Men have finally given up on the party?
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2017, 06:44:54 PM »

Another idea: Perhaps frustration among the general public mounts over the immigration issue with Burnham unable to cap migration. There could also be a Rotherham-like scandal that reanimates New Deal's base after their referendum loss.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2017, 06:58:49 PM »

In line for a very narrow Labour majority.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2017, 07:07:44 PM »

Maybe the EU has done something to piss off a lot of voters since the referendum? Remember that a fair few No voters voted SNP in 2015 and it was at least in part due to Cameron's speech on the morning of September 19th 2014.
This seems plausible.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2017, 03:13:03 PM »

Labour today, Labour tommorrow, Labour forever
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2017, 04:59:56 PM »

October 2015 General Election:

October 2015 - Woolfe pulls off an historic upset, but falls short

Labour Party: 33.8% (339 MP's)
Conservative Party: 17.0% (126 MP's)
New Deal: 23.5% (71 MP's)
Lib Dems: 8.4% (31 MP's)
Reform: 2.8% (5 MP's)
Green Party: 8.4% (1 MP)
Others: 6.1% (43 MP's)

The Election of 2015 was to be a consistent case of study for political experts around Britain, many baffled at the campaign itself and its odd results. Conventional wisdom after the referendum victory dictated Burnham was to sail away at an easy new victory with an increased majority, with many wondering it Boris Johnson would restore the standing of the Tories. The campaign could have followed such a road, were it not for two main factors which reshuffled the entire board: first, the announcement from the European Commission that they would veto Burnham's much vaunted proposal to restrict freedom of movement, and second, the uncovering of an unprecedented scandal across the European Parliament which uncovered impressive levels of corruption among several MEP's, hitting hard both Labour and the Conservatives.

To their merit Berry, Davey and Miliband fought brave campaigns, but the spotlight was stolen by Steven Woolfe. Leading a divided and broken party New Deal was granted a new lease of life following the scandals surrounding Europe, which he used to full-effect. Rallying thousands of voters (or new voters) who had developed "buyer's remorse", Woolfe soon overtook Johnson as a string of gaffees undermined the Tory leader, shooting up in the polls after a memorable debate performance which many compared to Kilroy-Silk's best performances back in 2006. It was such an unexpected rise that it took all other parties by surprise, Labour panicking during the last half of the campaign as Woolfe took an actual lead in the polls and regional polling showed an unusual revival for Plaid Cymru and, more decisively, the Scottish National Party.

What exactly saved Labour is up for dispute, many pointing out to a large defection of Green voters to Burnham to keep Woolfe and New Deal out. On Election Night, the prediction models were broken by the unexpected turnout, overcoming 1992 in size as Britons went by the millions to the polling booths to support either Woolfe or Burnham, the main contenders in the fight. In the end, however, Labour recovered more votes than it lost due to the fears of New Deal, and by holding above 30% kept its majority by default, sustaining some losses to Woolfe, but particularly to the SNP in Scotland, which tied Labour at the popular vote and won some 16 MP's of their own this time around.

Berry held onto her seat barely, losing one. Miliband's Reform lost more than half its MP's as well, surviving only on well-targeted constituencies. Ed Davey held onto the over 30 Lib Dem MP's with a single loss, which counted as a victory given the circumstances. The Conservatives, bleeding votes yet again, slumped to less than a 130. Woolfe, for all the hype surrounding his historic campaign and surge would make an impressive 60 gains, yet would remain in third with only 71 MP's to account for. A dumbfounded Burnham entered Number 10 with a weakened position and talk of a leadership challenge, but with a majority still.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies