What's the probability that the 2024 GOP nominee is female or a racial minority?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:49:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What's the probability that the 2024 GOP nominee is female or a racial minority?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's the probability that the 2024 GOP nominee is female or a racial minority?  (Read 4576 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2017, 11:19:48 AM »

What’s the probability that the 2024 Republican nominee for president is either a woman or a racial minority (or both)?  And by “racial minority”, let’s include Hispanics.  So yes, Cruz and Rubio would count as “minority”.

Secondary question: If the 2024 GOP presidential nominee is a white male, what's the probability that he picks a woman or racial minority as his running mate?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 12:59:28 PM »

I still don't think the Republican Party will be ready for a woman to lead their ticket, and in any case, Haley is the only realistic female Republican nominee I can think of. No Republican female Governors or Senators stand out and most are pretty old.

Joni Ernst spoke at both CPAC and the Faith & Freedom conference last year, then met with the New Hampshire delegation at the RNC.  She also did an event in New Hampshire just a few weeks before the election.  So I'd say she was laying the groundwork for 2020 back when it looked like Hillary Clinton would be the incumbent that year.  Now that Trump is the incumbent in 2020, I suspect she'll most likely run in 2024.

That said, she doesn't seem like a very compelling candidate, so I'm not expecting her to win the nomination.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 09:56:36 AM »

I can see it happen. If Trump is impeached in 2017 or 2018 I think Pence will pick Haley as VP. Rubio and Tim Scott also are great options. If Pence wins in 2020 Haley/Rubio/Scott is the overwhelming favorite for the 2024 GOP nomination and even if Pence loses in 2020 (s)he will have a good chance. If Trump doesn't get impeached and wins 2020 Pence probably is the 2024 nominee. If Trump doesn't get impeached but loses in 2020 (most likely scenario imo) I really don't know. Pence will run, but I imagine there will be a significant anti-Trump backlash in the GOP establishment which sees Pence as too close to Trump. Their ''champion'' probably will be someone like Rubio or Ryan.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 12:00:17 PM »

Female: 35% or so, minority: 5% or so.  Even if Trump gets a 2nd term (as of now, I expect he will), it won't be a Pence coronation.  Trump's base doesn't transfer well enough to Pence.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 12:07:09 PM »

Female: 35% or so, minority: 5% or so.  Even if Trump gets a 2nd term (as of now, I expect he will), it won't be a Pence coronation.  Trump's base doesn't transfer well enough to Pence.

Trump's base isn't analagous to other groups in the Republican Party, as it is not ideologically pure, so to speak, and it will have no choice but to "transfer" to another type of Republican; Trump is the only Trump.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:03:37 PM »

Ted Cruz will most likely be the Republican nominee for president in 2024. Oh he has no chance? Oh yeah I forgot just like how Donald Trump had no chance of being the nominee oh wait he was the nominee last year. Well he's not president and never had a chance of becoming president. You know we ended with president Hillary Clinton right? Oh wait no Trump is president.
peterthlee
China

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 09:21:25 AM »

Female - nay
Racial minority - both little Marco and Cruz have a decent shot in 2024 (regardless of Trump's performance in 2020)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 10:05:42 PM »

Haley has a decent shot for 2024, especially if Trump has but the single term and she can emerge relatively untainted. That said, regardless of whether Trump wins or loses, Pence is likely the favorite for 2024.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 08:20:27 PM »

Christians are the most oppressed minority in America.
Young Moderate Republican
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 12:11:37 AM »

What’s the probability that the 2024 Republican nominee for president is either a woman or a racial minority (or both)?  And by “racial minority”, let’s include Hispanics.  So yes, Cruz and Rubio would count as “minority”.

Secondary question: If the 2024 GOP presidential nominee is a white male, what's the probability that he picks a woman or racial minority as his running mate?

It's pretty likely, considering the second place primary finisher was a racial minority and chose a female running mate.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 01:55:47 AM »

Females: Nikki Haley, Ivanka Trump, Mia Love, Mary Fallin, Joni Ernst, Shelley Moore Capito, Deb Fischer
Minorities: Ben Carson, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, Brian Sandoval, Mia Love
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 02:38:05 PM »

If Republicans can persuade Condi Rice to run, highly unlikely, they would get both, female and minority.

And she would make a great President.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 10:58:31 PM »

Probably about one in three.

The likeliest nominee is Mike Pence, a white guy. He could become President if something happens to Trump, and be seeking the White House in his own right. If Trump's reelected and serves two full terms, he'd start a primary in the enviable position of being an incumbent veep.

While there are potential minority nominees (including people who haven't been elected to statewide office) the bench of white guys is deeper. Of the 15 Republican Senators elected/ appointed in or after the 2014 midterms, 12 were white guys.

I think the party would like to nominate a woman or a racial minority, but even ignoring Pence, odds favor a white guy simply because there are more choices there.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 04:16:55 PM »

Ironically at the moment, VT has a Republican governor and WV has a Democratic one.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 04:40:30 PM »

Ironically at the moment, VT has a Republican governor and WV has a Democratic one.

Not ironic at all.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 04:09:39 AM »

Nikki Haley has a decent chance to be nominated, no matter whether Trump loses in 2020 or not. She's young, in the GOP mainstream and has now experience in both domestic and foreign policy.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 11:36:56 AM »

40-50%. Here's a list of who it could be:
-Marco Rubio
-Ted Cruz
-Nicki Haley
-Joni Ernst
-Tim Scott
-Mia Love
-dare I say....Ivanka Trump
-Someone New
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 05:08:19 PM »

Nikki Haley, Marco Rubio, Joni Ernst, Tim Scott, Susana Martinez, Shelley Capito, Ted Cruz (cringe), Ben Carson, Herman Cain, and others.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »

I think Cruz could be the Republican nominee in 2024 but I don't think race or gender matters when it comes to politics. I think it should be more about the issues and less about silly things like race and sex
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 01:21:36 PM »

Nikki Haley, Marco Rubio, Joni Ernst, Tim Scott, Susana Martinez, Shelley Capito, Ted Cruz (cringe), Ben Carson, Herman Cain, and others.

PLEASE be Herman Cain, I need a good laugh.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »

-Marco Rubio
-Ted Cruz
-Nicki Haley
-Joni Ernst
-Tim Scott
-Mia Love
-Someone New

Ivanka Trump is not a Republican
hopper
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2017, 11:21:29 PM »

-Marco Rubio
-Ted Cruz
-Nicki Haley
-Joni Ernst
-Tim Scott
-Mia Love
-Someone New

Ivanka Trump is not a Republican
Yeah I heard she is not affiliated with either party(Dem or Republican) but I do think her politics are left of center though.
hopper
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 11:25:06 PM »

Possible; but I'd say very unlikely. Pence will probably be the nominee in 2024 and has a good chance at winning his own term in 2020 barring a horribly timed recession.

I do think that the first gop President in a post 2024 Democratic realignment will be in 2036 or 2040 and it'll be a millennial woman (possibly born in the 90's) and a moderate.
So the Republicans would have their own Bill Clinton or dare I say Jimmy Carter to take the party back to the center of the political spectrum in 2036 or 2040.
hueylong
Rookie
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2017, 11:43:45 PM »

Surprised no one has mentioned Will Hurd. I think he's up there in terms of likelihood. Once this Trump train wreck has concluded, GOP will desperately yearn for sanity again and he can provide that. He's knowledgeable, politically savvy, and has a good intelligence background. At least, this is what the optimist in me says. In actuality it'll probably be someone like Sheriff Clarke or Ben Carson. Sad

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies