CT Gov: Malloy OUT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:15:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CT Gov: Malloy OUT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: CT Gov: Malloy OUT  (Read 21142 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2017, 12:15:56 AM »

Leans D right now, IMHO. But with a ton of candidates in both parties considering - too early to tell.... I remember Jodi Rell with about 70% popularity despite state being supposedly "blue"...
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »

To quote Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky"...."o frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"

Smiley
FairBol
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2017, 11:36:01 AM »

If Tom Foley runs again, it's his, but Kennedy Jr. or Drew will give him a competitive race.

Hate to burst your bubble, but after Foley coming up short in the previous two governor's races....he has "no chance in hell".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uc3V8NxKWw
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2017, 11:40:32 AM »

It will be weird crossing the border into Connecticut in 2019 and seeing someone else's name on the road sign. I feel like Malloy has been there forever.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2017, 11:42:56 AM »

It will be weird crossing the border into Connecticut in 2019 and seeing someone else's name on the road sign. I feel like Malloy has been there forever.

They still have Jodi Rell's name on the pamphlets at the DMV near me.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2017, 11:50:00 AM »

So with Malloy out, who are we saying might become the Democratic front-runner? Here are the names I hear mentioned the most on the Democratic side, in no particular order. 

1.  Lt. Governor Nancy Wyman
2.  Bridgeport Mayor Joe Ganim
3.  CT Attorney General George Jepsen
4.  State Senate President Pro Tempore Martin Looney (yes, his name really is "Looney", LOL)

What say you, fellow Atlasians? I think it's Wyman or Jepsen right now. 
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2017, 11:58:09 AM »

I was impressed that when I went to Delaware in January, they had already replaced Markell's name with Carney's. They're quick with these things.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2017, 11:59:38 AM »

I was impressed that when I went to Delaware in January, they had already replaced Markell's name with Carney's. They're quick with these things.
Well, Delaware is like 1/5 of Connecticut's population so things go relatively quickly - also, there's only 3 counties, so probably fewer county offices as well.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2017, 12:01:25 PM »

A source of mine tells me Jepsen isn't keen on running and likes where he is now. Some people may not run if Wyman runs, but my gut tells me she won't run either. We already have Drew, and we're likely to get Kennedy and Lembo in as well. Wyman exiting would probably bring in Jonathan Harris. Not sure if Ganim will run, since he can't get matching funds under current rules due to his status as a convicted felon. I don't know enough about Looney to say for sure one way or the other. My money's on Lembo for now, but I'm interested to see the reaction to Kennedy's potential entrance.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2017, 12:05:09 PM by bronz4141 »

If Tom Foley runs again, it's his, but Kennedy Jr. or Drew will give him a competitive race.

Hate to burst your bubble, but after Foley coming up short in the previous two governor's races....he has "no chance in hell".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uc3V8NxKWw

Give Foley a chance. It's time for a blue blood Republican back in CT to kick off the 2020s. Also, please explain why Tom Foley doesn't have a chance. Doesn't America believe in political comebacks?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2017, 12:05:24 PM »

Hate to burst your bubble, but after Foley coming up short in the previous two governor's races....he has "no chance in hell".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uc3V8NxKWw

Give Foley a chance. It's time for a blue blood Republican back in CT to kick off the 2020s.

Lol go nominate Foley, see what happens. If the CT GOP nominated him again they would be worse than the FL Democratic Party.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »

So with Malloy out, who are we saying might become the Democratic front-runner? Here are the names I hear mentioned the most on the Democratic side, in no particular order. 

4.  State Senate President Pro Tempore Martin Looney (yes, his name really is "Looney", LOL)

Middletown Mayor Dan Drew already had an exploratory committee set up.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2017, 01:18:56 PM »

It'll be Kevin Lembo
FairBol
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2017, 02:06:38 PM »

Give Foley a chance. It's time for a blue blood Republican back in CT to kick off the 2020s.

Lol go nominate Foley, see what happens. If the CT GOP nominated him again they would be worse than the FL Democratic Party.

QFT.  :-/
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2017, 04:06:08 PM »

Democrats need more young candidates which is an argument in Drew's favor, but I don't know much about his politics or whether he's a good candidate. At least he's not tied to Malloy, or is he?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2017, 02:53:41 PM »

Now the only Dem-held state to worry about is Minnesota.
Colorado, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island aren't 100% safe. Raimondo isn't doing too well, and Colorado may have a surprising recruit - say, Coffman. Wolf obviously isn't safe, judging by his approvals. Charlie Dent, Ryan Costello, and Mike Fitzpatrick all have good potential there.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2017, 03:40:29 PM »

Colorado, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island aren't 100% safe. Raimondo isn't doing too well, and Colorado may have a surprising recruit - say, Coffman. Wolf obviously isn't safe, judging by his approvals. Charlie Dent, Ryan Costello, and Mike Fitzpatrick all have good potential there.

None of those are safe. But I'm not worried about any of them.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2017, 04:22:21 PM »

Democrats need more young candidates which is an argument in Drew's favor, but I don't know much about his politics or whether he's a good candidate. At least he's not tied to Malloy, or is he?

Drew's youth probably isn't going to be much of an advantage in the primaries.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2017, 04:38:30 PM »

The Conneticuteers Nutmeggers I know all like TKII, why don't people here like him?

^ this.

Considering that a good deal of my misspent youth was in what would become TKII's district, I'm curious what gives. He always seemed like a nice, charismatic enough guy. Are people just leery of him because of the 2014 campaign finance thing?

Also, how serious are the rumors about his candidacy? I'm always reading him mentioned as a potential candidate but no actual stories where "sources close to TKII" cite him as a likely candidate. 
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2017, 05:14:27 PM »

Ideal candidate is one who is not close to Malloy or in the legislature so it won't be XX voted with Malloy XX amount of the time. I don't know how much Lambo can be tied to CT finances since he's Comptroller but I think voters could make a connection.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »

None of those are safe. But I'm not worried about any of them.

I didn't realize anybody literally worried over partisan control of a Governorship of any state.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2017, 07:36:26 PM »

I didn't realize anybody literally worried over partisan control of a Governorship of any state.

For us political junkies, it wouldn't be strange to be worried about partisan control of a Governorship in an election that will determine the course of redistricting in said state. A lot of offices are opening up in 2018, and it will have a big effect on how competitive the House is.

Other than that, you know what he meant. You're just being facetious.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2017, 08:29:26 PM »

Drew's youth probably isn't going to be much of an advantage in the primaries.

I was thinking about who I would support.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2017, 06:48:55 PM »

Jonathan Harris (D) is in, as expected with Malloy exiting. This also might be a sign that Wyman isn't running.

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Democrat-Jonathan-Harris-to-seek-statewide-office-11081684.php?cmpid=twitter-desktop

Rep. Elizabeth Esty (D) says she will not run for Governor.

http://www.courant.com/politics/capitol-watch/hc-elizabeth-esty-i-will-not-be-running-for-governor-20170418-story.html

Susan Bysiewicz (D) is also out, and is instead running for State Senate.

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-middletown-susan-bysiewicz-0419-20170418-story.html
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2017, 12:31:02 AM »

So, Democratic list looks more like "new faces", while Republican - "old dogs" (majority of Republican candidates lost at least one statewide race before)??
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies