South Shore of Massachusetts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:10:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  South Shore of Massachusetts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: South Shore of Massachusetts  (Read 2641 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 04:04:59 AM »

how do i post DRA maps on here? I actually drew a pretty good looking Massachusetts map

1) Hit print screen button
2) Either:
  • open MSPaint, paste it in there and crop it; go to http://snag.gy and hit CTRL+V to paste/upload
  • or go to http://snag.gy and hit CTRL+V to paste/upload whole screengrab
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 09:12:44 PM »

Not to mention, it's virtually impossible to draw a Republican district in MA anyway, since the Republican voters are fairly spread out throughout the state. I mean, maybe you could make MA-09 a Tilt D rather than Lean D district, but that's about it.

It's possible. Just really ugly. I've drawn a map with 2 with one snaking from Chester around Springfield and up to dracut and another one from Braintree down around Brockton then running through Foxboro out to around Douglas. Like I said ugly as hell. Would post it but idk how to 😂

They could put the metrowest into 1 district rather than blast it into smithereens.

Still wouldn't help the Republicans much. The reason the current map looks so weird is so that the incumbent Democrats won't lose their primaries.

Per 2008 figures, the MetroWest is to the right of any of Massachusetts 9 Congressional districts by a point or so, but is about 100k short of population. And due to population distribution, such a district may need to add areas Southeast of Worcester (2 districts fit from Worcester directed west!).

The resulting district is 2 points and as many as 4 points to the right of Massachusetts 6th district, depending on choices made.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 09:24:49 PM »

how do i post DRA maps on here? I actually drew a pretty good looking Massachusetts map

2) Either:
  • open MSPaint, paste it in there and crop it; go to http://snag.gy and hit CTRL+V to paste/upload

Thank you!! I'm just horrible with figuring that out and have been trying to figure it out for years lol. But here's the map of Massachusetts I made, I tried making as many competitive-ish districts as i could while not gerrymandering
MA-1: D+17
MA-2: D+3
MA-3: D+4
MA-4: D+3
MA-5: D+21
MA-6: D+8
MA-7: D+23
MA-8: D+1
MA-9: D+7

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2017, 01:43:03 PM »

Not to mention, it's virtually impossible to draw a Republican district in MA anyway, since the Republican voters are fairly spread out throughout the state. I mean, maybe you could make MA-09 a Tilt D rather than Lean D district, but that's about it.

It's possible. Just really ugly. I've drawn a map with 2 with one snaking from Chester around Springfield and up to dracut and another one from Braintree down around Brockton then running through Foxboro out to around Douglas. Like I said ugly as hell. Would post it but idk how to 😂

They could put the metrowest into 1 district rather than blast it into smithereens.

Still wouldn't help the Republicans much. The reason the current map looks so weird is so that the incumbent Democrats won't lose their primaries.

Per 2008 figures, the MetroWest is to the right of any of Massachusetts 9 Congressional districts by a point or so, but is about 100k short of population. And due to population distribution, such a district may need to add areas Southeast of Worcester (2 districts fit from Worcester directed west!).

The resulting district is 2 points and as many as 4 points to the right of Massachusetts 6th district, depending on choices made.

Bolded the biggest reach you're making here. The success of this strategy would depend entirely on whether or not the 2016 mini-realignment is permanent.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 03:41:48 PM »

2) Either:

Thank you!! I'm just horrible with figuring that out and have been trying to figure it out for years lol. But here's the map of Massachusetts I made, I tried making as many competitive-ish districts as i could while not gerrymandering
MA-1: D+17
MA-2: D+3
MA-3: D+4
MA-4: D+3
MA-5: D+21
MA-6: D+8
MA-7: D+23
MA-8: D+1
MA-9: D+7

I like the boundary between the first and second districts here. I'm less sure about the eastern districts.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 09:06:38 PM »

Bolded the biggest reach you're making here. The success of this strategy would depend entirely on whether or not the 2016 mini-realignment is permanent.

Well, yes, by 2016 figures there is no winnable district. But, if one were to use the 2013 Senate election for the open seat, the proposed district would have strongly voted for Mr. Gomez over Congressman Markey by more than the 7 point margin of the current MA-09 district.

In Massachusetts we require an open seat to be competitive in any district. As stated the metrowest has no incumbent and was cut to smithereens due to having no incumbent.
hopper
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2017, 06:37:08 PM »

I guess. But no Democrat has any incentive to agree to that.

You never know. If there's one they don't like they can give him an unfavorable district. McGovern over in Worcester seems like a real douchenozzle

McGovern is one of the best people in Congress.
He is one of the best people in the US House I would have to agree.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2017, 08:27:19 AM »

The current MA-9 is pretty close to as good as it gets for the GOP in Mass,  the only real possible improvement for them would be adding the entire southern half of Bristol and taking out the Southshore parts of Plymouth,  but even that would only make it something like D+3 or D+2,  not give it a Republican lean.

Going from Chester to Dracut is not happening,  with or without Baker's veto.

Republicans are just too spread out in Mass to get a district,  it's not very feasible.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies