UK General Election, June 8th 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:57:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election, June 8th 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 76
Author Topic: UK General Election, June 8th 2017  (Read 208064 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: May 11, 2017, 04:16:23 PM »

As far as policies go, this document isn't anywhere close to 1983, but on the other hand, Michael Foot was a far superior leader, so it's tit for tat, I suppose.

Wait 1983 was actually more liberal then 2017
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #726 on: May 11, 2017, 04:17:53 PM »

As far as policies go, this document isn't anywhere close to 1983, but on the other hand, Michael Foot was a far superior leader, so it's tit for tat, I suppose.

Well, the Labour Party is not a liberal party, but if you mean more left-wing, then yes.
Babeuf

« Reply #727 on: May 11, 2017, 04:25:30 PM »

ComRes poll finds people largely support the manifesto pledges but don't like Corbyn.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/poll-shows-people-love-labours-10404216
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #728 on: May 11, 2017, 04:29:53 PM »

ComRes poll finds people largely support the manifesto pledges but don't like Corbyn.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/poll-shows-people-love-labours-10404216

This, and the massive sizes of his rallies, convinced Foot the polls were off in '83. Another depressing tidbit of Labour history.

It's interesting to see how many people would actually support the implementation and consequences of these policies as opposed to just saying they sound good.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #729 on: May 11, 2017, 04:30:31 PM »

Don't we have a No ComRes rule here?
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #730 on: May 11, 2017, 05:04:05 PM »

the 2017 manifesto is significantly more liberal than the 1983 one; but that's really the case for literally every party that stood in both elections.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #731 on: May 11, 2017, 05:13:11 PM »

I asked several people I know when I visit London about this whole fox hunting business.  No one is able to explain to me why is this such a controversial issue.  Is it related to animal rights?  If so then why is, animal testing, for example not something  that is a hot topic?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #732 on: May 11, 2017, 05:42:35 PM »

I asked several people I know when I visit London about this whole fox hunting business.  No one is able to explain to me why is this such a controversial issue.  Is it related to animal rights?  If so then why is, animal testing, for example not something  that is a hot topic?

I'm not British, but while animal rights is definitely part of it, I would hazard to guess that class resentment (fox hunting has long been a sport for the aristocracy for centuries) is what gives this issue its spice relative to everything else.  It's a symbol.   
vileplume
« Reply #733 on: May 11, 2017, 09:29:45 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2017, 09:35:51 PM by vileplume »

David Ward, the former Lib Dem MP for Bradford East who Tim Farron barred from standing for the Lib Dems again, is standing for the same constituency as an independent.

Salma Yaqoob, who was the leading figure in Respect in Birmingham, is standing as a "no description" candidate in Bradford West.

The Lib Dems have no candidate in Skipton & Ripon, apparently as part of a deal with the Greens who are not standing in Harrogate & Knaresborough.

That is the most rubbish, most pointless deal imaginable. The Tories will win Skipton and Ripon in a landslide and the Greens will still finish behind Labour.

As for Harrogate did the Lib Dems not see the council elections there last week? They lost the two Knaresborough seats to the Tories leaving them with only two left in the constituency (probably only held because of councillor popularity anyway) while they got crushed in many of the other divisions even ones where the Greens didn't stand!

If the Lib Dems are wasting money, time and resources on Harrogate and Knaresborough their targeting strategy is sh*ttier than I thought possible...
vileplume
« Reply #734 on: May 11, 2017, 10:18:22 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2017, 10:24:20 PM by vileplume »

As Barnes said 'liberal' is the wrong word as a lot of what the hard left stands for is extremely authoritarian and thus not liberal. As I understand it in American political jargon 'liberal' has lost it's original meaning which is loosely socially progressive, pro free markets, pro free trade, internationalism etc. and is sadly used instead as a synonym for 'left wing' or  'social democrat'. In British political jargon the distinction remains and 'liberal' and 'left wing' remain two entirely separate things which is why liberal conservatism is not an oxymoron.

But on Labour's '83 manifesto look it up. It's immortalised in British political history as the 'longest suicide note in history'.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #735 on: May 11, 2017, 11:05:57 PM »

As Barnes said 'liberal' is the wrong word as a lot of what the hard left stands for is extremely authoritarian and thus not liberal. As I understand it in American political jargon 'liberal' has lost it's original meaning which is loosely socially progressive, pro free markets, pro free trade, internationalism etc. and is sadly used instead as a synonym for 'left wing' or  'social democrat'. In British political jargon the distinction remains and 'liberal' and 'left wing' remain two entirely separate things which is why liberal conservatism is not an oxymoron.

But on Labour's '83 manifesto look it up. It's immortalised in British political history as the 'longest suicide note in history'.

No cause Corbyn is more left win then foot that's why I thought It would be more left wing .
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #736 on: May 12, 2017, 02:15:21 AM »

Corbyn is not a great leader but then people supported disastrous 3rd way Blair who went into the war in Iraq & killed everything what Labour stood for. The Labour manifesto is a mixed bag but mostly positive - Ban on fracking, Going big on Renewables, No tuition fees, 10 pounds minimum wage, more investment in housing & NHS !

Corbyn IMO is not a natural leader & not a solution but all these so-called moderates blast progressives for purity tests but when there is a not-so-perfect strong economic left candidate, they will turn their back on them & be even ready to go with freaking Theresa May & tories ! The only good thing about Corbyn is atleast he is willing to depart a bit from the disastrous Reagan/Thatcher ideology which has literally destroyed half the world !

Anyways about manifesto -

British voters overwhelmingly back Labour’s manifesto policies, poll finds. The ComRes survey shows around half of people support state ownership of the train network (52 per cent), energy market (49 per cent) and Royal Mail (50 per cent).On the plan to ban zero-hours contracts, 71 per cent said they backed the move, while just 16 per cent said they were against it. Income tax hikes for the highest 5 per cent of earners on salaries of more than £80,000 also got the thumbs up from 65 per cent of voters, with 24 per cent opposed to higher levies.

Full Article - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-manifesto-poll-voters-back-policies-jeremy-corbyn-latest-a7731536.html
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #737 on: May 12, 2017, 05:21:11 AM »

I get to choose from

Nick Clegg (Lib Dem)
Jared O'Mara (Lab)
Logan Robin (Green)
John Thurley (UKIP)
Ian Walker (Con)
Steven Winstone (SDP)

That's the Continuity Continuity SDP, I think.  The candidate is ex-UKIP.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #738 on: May 12, 2017, 06:51:59 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2017, 09:16:39 AM by Clyde1998 »

I get to choose from (Newbury):

Richard Benyon (Con)
Judith Bunting (Lib)
Paul Field (Grn)
Alex Skirvin (Lab)
Dave Yates (Apolitical Democrats)

The same for each of the parties as last time, expect for Labour and the Apolitical Democrats (although he was the candidate in 2010). No UKIP candidate pretty much kills off any chance of a Lib Dem gain in my constituency.
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #739 on: May 12, 2017, 07:10:03 AM »

only four candidates in my constituency, Reading West:

Alok Sharma, Con
Olivia Bailey, Lab
Meri O'Connell, LD
Jamie Witham, Green

Lib Dem is the only one who lives in the constituency, Green candidate and Tory incumbent live over the other side of town in the East seat, while the Labour candidate lives in Ealing, which seems to imply that they won't be bothering too much, in a seat that would be a must-win if aiming for a majority
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #740 on: May 12, 2017, 07:35:02 AM »

only four candidates in my constituency, Reading West:

Alok Sharma, Con
Olivia Bailey, Lab
Meri O'Connell, LD
Jamie Witham, Green

Lib Dem is the only one who lives in the constituency, Green candidate and Tory incumbent live over the other side of town in the East seat, while the Labour candidate lives in Ealing, which seems to imply that they won't be bothering too much, in a seat that would be a must-win if aiming for a majority

No Roman Party this time? Disappointing.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #741 on: May 12, 2017, 08:45:40 AM »

Looks like Stirling is going to be five candidates:

Wendy Chamberlain (Lib Dem)
Chris Kane (Lab)
Stephen Kerr (Con)
Steven Paterson (SNP)
Kirstein Rummery (Women's Equality)

I'll most likely vote SNP: our MP isn't too bad and since its a Tory target voting for them is the sensible thing to do to keep them out.  The Tory candidate is pretty well known locally (stood for Westminster and Holyrood before; although finishing far behind Labour in those cases); I don't know about the Labour or Liberals but I'm pretty sure the latter have stood non-locals in the last few elections (I think our 2016 candidate lived in the Gordon seat which is a long way away) but neither have any real chance: the Women's Equality Party are... interesting, they don't seem that bad actually.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #742 on: May 12, 2017, 10:05:36 AM »

For my constituency of Edinburgh South we have:

Alan Beal (Liberal Democrat)
Jim Eadie (SNP)
Ian Murray (Labour)
Stephanie Smith (Conservative)

Ian Murray is the incumbent, notable for being the only Labour MP to survive 2015, Jim Eadie was the MSP for the related but distinct scottish parliament seat of Edinburgh Southern (which does not have the council estates in the south of the city that Edinburgh South has, so is consequently better for the tories than Edinburgh South and worse for Labour and the SNP) from 2011 to 2016 when he lost his seat to (again, notably) Labour. Stephanie Smith is a councillor for Liberton/Gilmerton (the part that is in South but not Southern) and Alan Beal is, as far as I can tell, some dude.

I'll be voting for Murray, and am cautiously optimistic, given our performance in the council elections and murray's position in the sweet spot of the constituency of being both against independence and brexit, of a hold. In fact, I'd go as far to say that this could be one of the only constituencies  in the whole country where labour increase their majority.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #743 on: May 12, 2017, 10:53:17 AM »

My London seat projection model suggests that this is the current state of play in the capital, according to the recent YouGov poll:

Lab - 43 (-2)
Con - 30 (+3)
Lib - 0 (N/C)

Con Gains
Carshalton & Wallington (from Lib)
Dagenham & Rainham (from Lab)
Eltham (from Lab)
Enfield North (from Lab)
Ilford North (from Lab)

Lab Gains
Battersea (from Con)
Finchley & Golders Green (from Con)
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #744 on: May 12, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »

My London seat projection model suggests that this is the current state of play in the capital, according to the recent YouGov poll:

Lab - 43 (-2)
Con - 30 (+3)
Lib - 0 (N/C)

Con Gains
Eltham (from Lab)
Enfield North (from Lab)
Ilford North (from Lab)

Lab Gains
Battersea (from Con)

Hey, is that Maggie's old seat?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #745 on: May 12, 2017, 11:05:15 AM »

Lab - 43 (-2)
Con - 30 (+3)
Lib - 0 (N/C)

Con Gains
Eltham (from Lab)
Enfield North (from Lab)
Ilford North (from Lab)

Lab Gains
Battersea (from Con)

It is, yes. That would be one hell of a seat to fall to Labour. I think that's down as a Labour gain due to there being a large EU vote there, plus due to Labour being ahead of the Conservatives among middle class voters in London (yes, seriously) in the poll. I've got it down as Labour +0.5. Some interesting sub-samples may cause some surprise results.

Worth saying that I've got UKIP standing in each seat; which may not be the case when the election comes around.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #746 on: May 12, 2017, 11:09:49 AM »

Lab - 43 (-2)
Con - 30 (+3)
Lib - 0 (N/C)

Con Gains
Eltham (from Lab)
Enfield North (from Lab)
Ilford North (from Lab)

Lab Gains
Battersea (from Con)

For the LAB gains ones I assume you feel the large remain CON vote will defect to LAB and that any defections will go to LAB and not LIB ?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #747 on: May 12, 2017, 11:15:23 AM »

Lab - 43 (-2)
Con - 30 (+3)
Lib - 0 (N/C)

Con Gains
Eltham (from Lab)
Enfield North (from Lab)
Ilford North (from Lab)

Lab Gains
Battersea (from Con)

It is, yes. That would be one hell of a seat to fall to Labour. I think that's down as a Labour gain due to there being a large EU vote there, plus due to Labour being ahead of the Conservatives among middle class voters in London (yes, seriously) in the poll. I've got it down as Labour +0.5. Some interesting sub-samples may cause some surprise results.

Worth saying that I've got UKIP standing in each seat; which may not be the case when the election comes around.

Labour held it 1997-2010 so not that remarkable.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #748 on: May 12, 2017, 11:23:03 AM »

Does anyone actually live in Battersea anymore?

As far as I can tell, every one of those luxury flats is some Chinese millionaires cash safety box.

(Basically, it seems way, way too demographically Tory to vote Labour these days)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #749 on: May 12, 2017, 11:25:07 AM »

Does anyone actually live in Battersea anymore?

As far as I can tell, every one of those luxury flats is some Chinese millionaires cash safety box.

(Basically, it seems way, way too demographically Tory to vote Labour these days)

More to the point, Labour is going to overturn an 8,000-vote majority in an election when they are going backwards across the country?

Finchley is borderline on the realism, still being an over 5,000-vote majority.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 76  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies