UK General Election, June 8th 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:00:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election, June 8th 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election, June 8th 2017  (Read 209060 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: May 29, 2017, 10:42:47 PM »

How exactly is Corbyn catching up to May? I don't understand it.

Back in the old days, when threads such as this weren't clogged up by sh!tposts from sh!tposters, it would be easy enough to spot quickly the explanations. Alas we do not live in the old days! The answer is simple: the Tory manifesto was an appallingly arrogant document which included certain extremely unpopular policies (notably over social care). And Labour have run an old fashioned Party campaign (rather than one based around the personality of the Leader) and have a manifesto full of populist policies.

Could you (or another British poster) elaborate on some of the unpopular Tory policies? I know I asked this already some time ago but I haven't really had time to read up on it since then because I've been so busy with travel for school.

Relegalizing fox hunting.
The so-called "Dementia Tax" (pay for dementia care of the assets/real estate of the person when he dies), it was also dropped due to how badly the idea was received.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 05:23:05 PM »

I've had limited news for the last two weeks - how did Labor suddenly rise from the dead?

Pretty much Conservatives running one of the worst campaigns of the western world in the last decade.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 09:50:04 PM »

So many weird wedge issues in the UK. Fox hunting..trident there is virtually no threat of nuclear war right now or the near future, the concept of MAD is obsolete.

Is Fox Hunting really a wedge issue though? Don't the vast majority of people oppose it though?

The vast majority opposes it and it's illegal (banned under Blair), but legalisation is in Conservative manifesto.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 10:01:28 PM »

Corbyn won't retaliate to a nuclear attack that isn't going to happen? outrageous!

Things can change a lot in 5 years. People deserve to know that if we are attacked, we are not just gonna sit back.

yea man, i'm sure that the irradiated zombies living in the rubble of post-nuke london would be primarily concerned about britain's ability to incinerate moscow or pyongyang and not about the fact that they are  dying a horrible death.
If we are attacked, we have to attack back. This should be one of the most uncontroversial things ever.
Retaliating against the country that attacked you isn't controversial. Killing thousands of innocent citizens of that country is.

Your solution is what? How would you prevent multiple British cities from being incinerated? Sometimes there are necessary evils.

By definition, retaliation is AFTER said cities were incinerated.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 01:55:47 AM »

Campaigning will be suspended for today (Sunday), looks like it will resume on Monday.

No national campaign, means local ones will have to decide (for Conservatives, at least)..
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 02:39:03 PM »

@SimonDanczuk
Can't believe public will now vote Labour to put Corbyn in Downing Street when he opposes shoot-to-kill & is effectively terrorists' friend.

Well, he opposed at Labour because they kicked him out for being a sex pest and loving to be violent towards his wife.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 02:34:00 AM »

Survation/GMB:
CON 42 (-1)
LAB 40 (+3)
LD 6 (-2)
UKIP 3 (-1)
GRN 1 (=)
SNP 4 (+2)

2nd-3rd June
N=1,103

The decline of the Lib dems is just bewildering, they had a simple message for remain voters but the message haven't cut through apparently.
It would be really astonishing if they polled 6% or less of the vote....

Survation assumes a turnout of 90% of 18-24's???

67% of their 18-24's say they will vote. Survation uses self-reported turnout.

They know it will be lower (due to social desirability of intending to vote), but say it won't affect results, because self-reported turnout is higher than real turnout in all generations. They assume the effect is the same in all generations.

Pretty much pollsters have the same raw data, it's how they model age turnout from self-reporting (Survation) to using 2015 data (ICM) to hybrid methods between the two.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 03:13:02 PM »

Corbyn/Labour might come into serious trouble in the final days:

(... enter pictures of Corbyn addressing an Islamic terrorist group back in 2002 ...)

You must be logged in to read this quote.
F***ing incredible.

He is what he is.

If he was to come to power, it would potentially create a world crisis. I think that'll weigh heavily on voters' minds when they vote. As well as potential coalition partners'.

I think the Tories and May might be slightly too nice on Corbyn right now.

It would be better if she'd portray him more as the terrorist-cuddling traitor to the country that he is - while pointing out that she's leading the country through a difficult period (allthough she didn't do anything wrong).

That's why May has been trying to do non-stop since the beginning of the campaign, without success because people care more about economy and healthcare, on which she has a weak record.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 03:39:12 PM »

That's why May has been trying to do non-stop since the beginning of the campaign, without success because people care more about economy and healthcare, on which she has a weak record.
Remains to be seen. The Tories are still expected to gain seats.

Well, I suppose the Tory plan was to use that and win in a landslide. In any case, less effective than expected.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 03:57:46 PM »

I think this election was never about winning a huge number of seats (even if that was indeed expected and seen as a nice side-effect) and always about buying time (i.e. two years) in government to mitigate the negative effects of Brexit. Suppose Brexit goes wrong and there is an election in 2020. Voters would (rightfully) blame the Tories and they could have been out of power for more than a decade.

Honestly, if Brexit goes wrong, it won't be better in 2022 than in 2020.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »

Although if there was a hung parliament the Unionists probably would need to be... convinced to vote for a government budget regardless of who is in government.  At times the unionists have supported Labour governments, for a price naturally.
Theresa May is someone who has spoken often of her support for the Union of the UK's four home nations. She is said to see Joe Chamberlain as a personal hero of hers.

Jeremy Corbyn is a long time Sinn Fein sympathiser.

I don't see any way the DUP and UUP are going to go against the links they have with the Conservatives to put Corbyn in number 10.

Oh, sure, they won't put Corbyn into 10, but on other votes, they might drag their feet if they don't get some money for NI.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies