Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:34:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 73
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations  (Read 159701 times)
Arkansas Yankee
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1550 on: November 12, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »

I might not be so adamant about not letting this seat go to a Democrat, if the Democrats were not trying to disrupt the nomination process across the board.  

I can understand the attempt to slow down the judicial nominations.  But I want them to be approved.  So, I do not want to give you another weapon.

There no excuse for the slow down of Executive Department nominations. That has to stop.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1551 on: November 12, 2017, 10:32:56 AM »

I might not be so adamant about not letting this seat go to a Democrat, if the Democrats were not trying to disrupt the nomination process across the board.  

I can understand the attempt to slow down the judicial nominations.  But I want them to be approved.  So, I do not want to give you another weapon.

kyc0705

« Reply #1552 on: November 12, 2017, 10:57:11 AM »

Petition to make MAGA stand for Make America Garland Again.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1553 on: November 12, 2017, 11:08:10 AM »

There no excuse for the slow down of Executive Department nominations. That has to stop.

Interpretation: you don't care how unfit Moore is, he's better than letting a Democrat take the seat temporarily (Jones would almost certainly lose in 2020).

At least you admit that you choose partisanship over principle, and I'll give you props for being up front about it.  That's better than many who try to pretend otherwise.
Unironic Kamala Harris for President Supporter
BeastCoast
Rookie

« Reply #1554 on: November 12, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »

The game Democrats and establishment Republicans are playing isn't going to work. The likes of you will not shame Alabama Republicans out of voting for Roy Moore. This isn't about the allegations. This is about the people of Alabama not letting outsiders have influence over the politics of their state.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1555 on: November 12, 2017, 11:20:51 AM »

There’s really not that much Dems can do, even with an extra Senator, to slow appointments
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1556 on: November 12, 2017, 11:21:01 AM »

The game Democrats and establishment Republicans are playing isn't going to work. The likes of you will not shame Alabama Republicans out of voting for Roy Moore. This isn't about the allegations. This is about the people of Alabama not letting outsiders have influence over the politics of their state.

Try again.  The allegations and corroborations are from people who lived IN the state at the time.
Unironic Kamala Harris for President Supporter
BeastCoast
Rookie

« Reply #1557 on: November 12, 2017, 11:23:35 AM »

Try again.  The allegations and corroborations are from people who lived IN the state at the time.

My point is that Alabama Republicans are sticking with Moore against the wishes of Democrats and establishment Republicans.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1558 on: November 12, 2017, 11:34:17 AM »

My point is that Alabama Republicans are sticking with Moore against the wishes of Democrats and establishment Republicans.

Maybe, maybe not.  "Alabama Republicans" is not a single entity that can only act one way.  It's a group consisting of a large number of people, each of whom makes his/her own choice.  The recent polls, especially today's JMC poll, indicate that not all of them are still supporting Moore.  We shall see on Dec. 12 how many of them actually do.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1559 on: November 12, 2017, 11:37:35 AM »

I love how so many on the right are saying “we don’t have all the facts” and “innocent until proven guilty” like there weren’t “Hillary for Prison” and “Lock Her Up” bumper stickers and t-shirts plastered across every pick up truck and pot belly across the Deep Jim Crow South.
Exactly. The same group of people who are defending Moore also believe that Hillary was involved with a child cannibalism and sex ring in a pizza restaurant .
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1560 on: November 12, 2017, 11:40:33 AM »

If you want to see a lot more like me go to Ace of Spades. I still cannot link.  Need 20 posts.   You folks do not see enough of the conservative world

You do not represent "conservatives". You represent buffoons. Roy Moore isn't conservatism, and please don't disparage the name of conservatives by using him as an example.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1561 on: November 12, 2017, 12:52:57 PM »

Rating Change: Likely R --> Lean R
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1562 on: November 12, 2017, 01:24:40 PM »

I haven't been following this super closely, so maybe this has already been discussed to death, but here's my question on this:

If Republicans talk about expelling Moore from the Senate, does that actually make him more likely to win?  The thinking being: If I'm a partisan Republican voter who nonetheless doesn't want a child molester in the Senate, then maybe I'm only going to vote for Moore on the condition that he won't actually be seated, but will simply be replaced by another interim Senator who is also a Republican.

Or to diagram it out.....

If I knew for a fact that Moore was going to be allowed to actually enter the Senate if he wins, then the choices are:

1) Moore wins, and becomes a Senator
2) Jones wins

If I knew for a fact that Moore was *not* going to be allowed to actually enter the Senate if he wins, then the choices are:

1) Moore "wins", but is immediately kicked out and replaced by another Republican
2) Jones wins

So if there's a promise that he's not going to be able to take his seat anyway, then that gives Republicans an incentive to vote for him.  It seems like Dems may already grasp this, as when Klobuchar was asked about expelling Moore on MTP this morning, she tried to change the subject to "The best way to keep him out of the Senate is not to vote him in in the first place" (paraphrase).
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1563 on: November 12, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »

Pat Toomey withdraws support: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pat-toomey-roy-moore_us_5a0860a9e4b01d21c83f1169
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1564 on: November 12, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »

yeah and hows that working out for Alabama? The most corrupt, poorest, worst educated, worst outcomes state of the union. Maybe a change, any kind of change, would be helpful, and knocking off Roy Moore, who has been a cancer on Alabama politics for a long long time would be a start.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1565 on: November 12, 2017, 02:41:59 PM »

When I get back home I’m going to teach you a history lesson,ALL of this stuff I’m posting will be facts I have learned from volunteering for the National park service as a costume history interpreter.

This is the best satire account ever
Want to know something I volunteer at fort Vancouver in Vancouver Washington and yes it’s a national park. In the 1820s-1860s the men who could read and write who were clerks they didn’t get married till they were 35-45 years old! They marrying young girls as young as 12! Roy Moore was not 40 dating 12-16 year olds he was dating 17-23 yearolds when he was 29-38. Moore has done nothing wrong yet!

Why not just say this?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1566 on: November 12, 2017, 03:01:51 PM »

When I get back home I’m going to teach you a history lesson,ALL of this stuff I’m posting will be facts I have learned from volunteering for the National park service as a costume history interpreter.

This is the best satire account ever
Want to know something I volunteer at fort Vancouver in Vancouver Washington and yes it’s a national park. In the 1820s-1860s the men who could read and write who were clerks they didn’t get married till they were 35-45 years old! They marrying young girls as young as 12! Roy Moore was not 40 dating 12-16 year olds he was dating 17-23 yearolds when he was 29-38. Moore has done nothing wrong yet!

Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #1567 on: November 12, 2017, 03:22:54 PM »

Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1568 on: November 12, 2017, 03:25:55 PM »

lol, is Moore trying to lose this?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1569 on: November 12, 2017, 03:50:29 PM »

I actually really dislike Moore.  But I will not agree to turn the Senate over to the Democrats.

Again please do not preach morality to me when you folks elected Ted Kennedy over and over for over 40 years.  You also wanted to sneak Bill back into the White House.  I am not sure you will not try that again.

At least Republicans decked the influence pedaling Bushes. You still have to get rid of your influence pedaling Clintons. Take care of your own business.

I know we still need to get rid of the Bush grandchild in Texas.

Instinctively, I will never believe the Washington Post, a house organ of the Democrat Party, did not have the story before the primary.

Even if Jones wins, Republicans will still have the Senate until 2021 minimum, when Jones will lose re-election or retire anyway.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #1570 on: November 12, 2017, 04:26:22 PM »

lol, is Moore trying to lose this?

That could be the epitaph on the gravestone of his political career.
DFL

« Reply #1571 on: November 12, 2017, 04:46:20 PM »

It appears his strategy is "double down on hoping state republicans are completely brainwashed"
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #1572 on: November 12, 2017, 05:00:13 PM »

Can we talk about how Hannity's advertisers are apparently taking a mass exodus in light of his defense of Moore?

Christ, let this thing take both of them down. Let me have that much, God.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1573 on: November 12, 2017, 05:02:39 PM »

http://winwithjmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Alabama-Senate-Executive-Summary-General-Election-Poll-2.pdf

Jones +4.   You don't get to +4 in Alabama without at least some Alabama Republicans.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1574 on: November 12, 2017, 05:03:10 PM »

Even if Jones wins, Republicans will still have the Senate until 2021 minimum, when Jones will lose re-election or retire anyway.
[/quote]

A net D+2 is now a very plausible outcome for 2018, between the Heller and Flake seats and the potential for a Cochran or McCain retirement, and the potential for Collins and/or Murkowski to become a Dem-caucusing Indy if it's tied is significant.  I wouldn't be entirely shocked if Collins and Murkowski left the GOP this December if Jones won.    
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies