Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:52:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 73
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations  (Read 158219 times)
JonHawk
JHawk
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: September 26, 2017, 09:04:04 PM »

I find it strange Trump endorsed Strange. Moore would be a stronger ally for him.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #626 on: September 26, 2017, 09:34:04 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2017, 09:35:45 PM by Bagel23 »

You just gotta love Doug Jones! One of the first quality candidates of ours in a long time there. What a gentleman! Come on guys, Moore is gonna win, but let's not just sit back and take it.

AtorBoltox

« Reply #627 on: September 26, 2017, 09:37:43 PM »

You just gotta love Doug Jones! One of the first quality candidates of ours in a long time there. What a gentleman! Come on guys, Moore is gonna win, but let's not just sit back and take it.

Jones will lose by 20 points
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #628 on: September 26, 2017, 09:43:37 PM »

Jones will lose by 20 points

Depends on whether Moore puts his foot in his mouth so bad that he blows it like Akin and Murdock. (And given that it's Alabama, would have to be worse than either of those.) I don't think that's much that Jones can do other than hope Moore somehow epic fails.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #629 on: September 26, 2017, 09:47:27 PM »

So we all agree that Roy Moore's imminent election to the Senate hurts any conceivable remaining chances of repealing Obamacare, yeah?
Fudotei
fudotei
Rookie
United States

« Reply #630 on: September 26, 2017, 09:51:24 PM »

So we all agree that Roy Moore's imminent election to the Senate hurts any conceivable remaining chances of repealing Obamacare, yeah?

Oh, of course. That ship sailed. Moore won't vote for Graham-Cassidy.

What's concerning is that Moore is as resilient to McConnell's antics as Rand is, but he's much less mainstream ideologically, so it's not hard to see Moore as the first senator representing a national conservatism/Dominionism that works outside of the mainstream GOP consensus. McConnell has very little power over Rand and Moore, allowing those two to develop their own base and pseudo-party.

In other words, Moore is the first step to Bannon's caucus in the Senate (Marsha Blackburn and Chris McDaniel will probably be joining him)
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #631 on: September 26, 2017, 09:57:36 PM »

I hear a lot of GOP reps and senators say they're deeply troubled by the repeal bills and then vote for them anyway. I'll believe that Moore is a no when (and optimistically if!!!) I see him actually cast the vote in McConnell's face McCain style.
Don Vito Corleone
bruhgmger2
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.91

« Reply #632 on: September 26, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »

I hear a lot of GOP reps and senators say they're deeply troubled by the repeal bills and then vote for them anyway. I'll believe that Moore is a no when (and optimistically if!!!) I see him actually cast the vote in McConnell's face McCain style.
If there's one good thing to say about Moore, it's that he says what he means. I doubt he will vote for anything he says he won't.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #633 on: September 26, 2017, 10:47:19 PM »

This is not going to be too close, IMO. I'd be surprised if the margin is under 10%.

Called it!
I did it!
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #634 on: September 26, 2017, 11:30:56 PM »

This is not going to be too close, IMO. I'd be surprised if the margin is under 10%.

Called it!
I did it!
But the margin WAS under 10.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #635 on: September 27, 2017, 01:53:32 AM »

Expect about 60-40 Moore win in December. Even that would be relatively good result for Jones in present day Alabama, where Democratic candidates seldom pass 40% mark because of ultrapolarized racial voting..... 45 would be excellent, but, alas, unlikely...
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #636 on: September 27, 2017, 02:11:10 AM »

Going forward, us non-alabamans that will be tracking this race need to remember that Roy Moore's views are not extreme within the prism of the alabama electorate.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #637 on: September 27, 2017, 03:20:58 AM »

Going forward, us non-alabamans that will be tracking this race need to remember that Roy Moore's views are not extreme within the prism of the alabama electorate.

It's also worth noting that Roy Moore isn't Christine O'Donnell, Sharon Angle, or any of the other failed fringe Tea Party candidates, nor is Alabama like Delaware, Nevada, or Indiana. The chances of Moore losing are very small since, like you said, Moore's views are hardly a substantive departure from those of most Alabama Republican voters.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #638 on: September 27, 2017, 03:23:58 AM »

That's true. Though these "views of Alabama electorate" are close to extreme by national standards..
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #639 on: September 27, 2017, 10:57:35 AM »

Southern populism and conservatism were never, ever meant to be on the same side.  Glad you guys are finally realizing it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #640 on: September 27, 2017, 11:00:34 AM »

Southern populism and conservatism were never, ever meant to be on the same side.  Glad you guys are finally realizing it.

Corruption and incompetence are conservative values?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #641 on: September 27, 2017, 11:41:29 AM »

When I looked at the AP results page in the morning I was shocked to see Strange winning.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/elections/2017/by_state/AL_Page_0926.html?SITE=AP&SECTION=POLITICS

It was so strange that I checked the NYT page and it was the opposite result !

I re-checked the AP page and saw they only have test results (for some reason) and it's still not updated.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #642 on: September 27, 2017, 11:42:49 AM »

Corruption and incompetence are conservative values?

1) Demonstrate how McConnell is corrupt and incompetent.  I won't dispute the claims if you articulate how.

2) No, but the rejection of mindless populism and insighting jealousy toward those with more than you (be that knowledge, education, talent, money, whatever) absolutely are inherently at odds with conservatism.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #643 on: September 27, 2017, 12:59:20 PM »

I HATE that Steve Bannon is supporting from Roy Moore because it detracts from Moore's message and makes people equate him with Bannonist factions.

-Moore's base is deeply religious, pro-life, very conservative on issues of family, marriage, and sexuality, and generally votes on Christian conservative values

-Bannon's base is largely irreligious, many pro-abortion for eugenic reasons, indifferent to liberal on issues of marriage and sexuality, and generally vote on restricting trade and stopping immiration.

We Moore Republicans are not the Bannon Republicans, and I wish people would stop making that false comparison!
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #644 on: September 27, 2017, 01:03:21 PM »

I HATE that Steve Bannon is supporting from Roy Moore because it detracts from Moore's message and makes people equate him with Bannonist factions.

-Moore's base is deeply religious, pro-life, very conservative on issues of family, marriage, and sexuality, and generally votes on Christian conservative values

-Bannon's base is largely irreligious, many pro-abortion for eugenic reasons, indifferent to liberal on issues of marriage and sexuality, and generally vote on restricting trade and stopping immiration.

We Moore Republicans are not the Bannon Republicans, and I wish people would stop making that false comparison!

There's an old saying that you're known by the company you keep.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #645 on: September 27, 2017, 01:30:09 PM »

You do realize that Bannon's ideology fits North Alabama almost perfectly?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #646 on: September 27, 2017, 01:38:23 PM »

I know, right?? Comparing Theocrats to Fascists - how offensive and absurd!
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #647 on: September 27, 2017, 01:52:12 PM »

NYT: Doug Jones passes 1 Million dollar mark (for entire campaign)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #648 on: September 27, 2017, 02:24:43 PM »

A Strange internal poll found that McConnell's favorability was just 10% among AL Republicans.

https://twitter.com/arogdc/status/913119533094903810
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #649 on: September 27, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »

A Strange internal poll found that McConnell's favorability was just 10% among AL Republicans.

https://twitter.com/arogdc/status/913119533094903810

If Jones could somehow tie Moore to McConnell and the Republican establishment, he could stand to gain bigly.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies