Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:37:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 73
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread: Bombshell allegations  (Read 158444 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: October 02, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »

Some potentially good news for Jones:

Brian Lyman‏ @lyman_brian
This is interesting. Kay Ivey just scheduled a special election for Quinton Ross' former Montgomery Senate seat -- on Dec. 12.  #ALSEN

And that's a safely Democratic seat. Most likely a cost-saving measure, but you'll probably see more votes than usual in that race ...

... which will be a help to Doug Jones in an area he needs to win big to have a shot in #ALSEN.

https://twitter.com/lyman_brian/status/914918526758080513
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #726 on: October 02, 2017, 03:54:51 PM »

Kay Ivey is a Democratic plant.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #727 on: October 02, 2017, 03:56:55 PM »

Libertarian Ron Bishop is running as a write-in candidate. Could he be a potential spoiler by siphoning a small number of votes from Moore?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #728 on: October 02, 2017, 04:29:57 PM »

Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #729 on: October 02, 2017, 04:30:37 PM »

Libertarian Ron Bishop is running as a write-in candidate. Could he be a potential spoiler by siphoning a small number of votes from Moore?

More likely to hurt Jones by splitting the anti-Moore vote that Jones would need to sop up to have any hope of winning. He'd be like Gary Johnson to Hillary.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #730 on: October 08, 2017, 10:19:11 PM »

More likely to hurt Jones by splitting the anti-Moore vote that Jones would need to sop up to have any hope of winning. He'd be like Gary Johnson to Hillary.

Eh, there are still probably people who would never vote for a Democrat, but might consider voting for a Libertarian.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #731 on: October 09, 2017, 09:17:25 AM »

Jones TV ad that I think is pretty good.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #732 on: October 10, 2017, 06:36:58 AM »

Roy Moore's son Caleb arrested for criminal trespassing in Etowah County.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #733 on: October 10, 2017, 06:48:59 AM »

The Law and Order Party.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #734 on: October 10, 2017, 07:37:45 AM »

Caleb Moore has been arrested quite a few times IIRC, not that it really matters.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #735 on: October 10, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »

I mean not that I like Moore, but what does a Senate's candidate adult son getting arrested have anything to do with the party at large?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #736 on: October 10, 2017, 08:18:35 PM »

I mean not that I like Moore, but what does a Senate's candidate adult son getting arrested have anything to do with the party at large?

I was getting ready to agree, and then I read some of the linked news stories.

for starters, junior is apparently employed as an intern and Clerk at the center for moral law which daddy Moore founded. He undoubtedly has his job as a result of Dad, and Dad apparently and trust him enough to put him in even a low-level staff position despite an arrest record that would make it tough for him to get a job at Denny's.

On top of that, Moore Senior is now arguing that the arrest was just a cheap political trick.

So yeah, the whole public judgemental morality, but private moral laxity so common to the religious right is apparent in spades by this story.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #737 on: October 10, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »

Meh. Not terrible. He looks slightly shell-shocked and out of place.

What the hell is this background setting anyway? I can't tell if it's someone's dining room or a local tea shop
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #738 on: October 10, 2017, 09:29:56 PM »

Very strange background. A living room would have been better. The ad starts off strong. "Washington's broken" is always a good move, but Jones doesn't really say anything substantive here that would rally anyone or convince anyone. He also is pretty bland and uninspiring. Overall, I give the ad a 5/10. He just isn't the right fit for Alabama, so he has nothing substantive to say that would help him.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #739 on: October 10, 2017, 09:38:47 PM »

it's very meta - this would've been a great ad in the 90s.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #740 on: October 10, 2017, 09:51:58 PM »

Typical trailer bleep they are. If anything, this should help Moore in such a backwards state Tongue.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #741 on: October 11, 2017, 11:52:57 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/undisclosed-deal-guaranteed-roy-moore-180000-a-year-for-part-time-work-at-charity/2017/10/11/5f56679e-a9de-11e7-850e-2bdd1236be5d_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_foundation-1210pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.67bc93d73731

Oops.
swf541

« Reply #742 on: October 11, 2017, 12:13:31 PM »

That seems like good material to hit him with.....
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #743 on: October 11, 2017, 01:34:31 PM »

Is this likely to have any effect on the race, or will Moore's supporters not care?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #744 on: October 11, 2017, 03:08:43 PM »

Lol. You're assuming that Republican voters have standards. I already know this race is going nowhere.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #745 on: October 12, 2017, 06:38:03 AM »

It's more the hypocrisy that tends to come out from the GOP. Poor people who defraud benefits are scum who ought to starve, but rich Republicans engaging in bribery is fine and GOP primary voters don't bat an eye. Abortion is murder and pregnant women should die rather than have one, but Republican politicians can encourage mistresses and daughters to get abortions and it's no problemo.

At the core of this is the fact that Republican law and order rhetoric is mostly a racist vendetta against ethnic minorities, while as long as the perpetrator is white they're fine with all sorts of crime being forgiven and running away from legal principles.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #746 on: October 12, 2017, 09:22:17 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2017, 09:51:35 AM by Alabama_Indy10 »

It's more the hypocrisy that tends to come out from the GOP. Poor people who defraud benefits are scum who ought to starve, but rich Republicans engaging in bribery is fine and GOP primary voters don't bat an eye. Abortion is murder and pregnant women should die rather than have one, but Republican politicians can encourage mistresses and daughters to get abortions and it's no problemo.

At the core of this is the fact that Republican law and order rhetoric is mostly a racist vendetta against ethnic minorities, while as long as the perpetrator is white they're fine with all sorts of crime being forgiven and running away from legal principles.

That's insane. Are you sure that you guys aren't the racist ones for insinuating that this law and order rhetoric focuses on minorities?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #747 on: October 12, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »

lol
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #748 on: October 12, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Gustaf...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #749 on: October 12, 2017, 11:18:23 AM »

That's insane. Are you sure that you guys aren't the racist ones for insinuating that this law and order rhetoric focuses on minorities?

Because it totally does, and even its own proponents have privately admitted so since the 60s. Read some of Reed Atwater's admissions on the subject.

Really man. You've got to be naive to the point of living in a cave to miss the fact that Law & Order political rhetoric inevitably has strong racial overtones, and not coincidentally.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies